E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission Fault!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am sending my 2005 530 (auot tranny) to the dealer (AGMC in Dubai) again in 2 months.

Apart from the annoying lurch before the car comes to a complete stop, the idrvie has given me "transmission fault" messgaes for 3 times;

1. the first time it came with false messages (like tire punsture but the tires are fine); the dealer adjusted the Steering angle sensor and reprogrammed the control unit. It worked fine for 3 months.

2. the message came up after a "slip" when changing gear. I was drving very slow, around 30~40 km/h. The tranny was then in the protection mode and I could only drive in low speed. I stopped the car, played a round of golf, back to car and start the engine, the message is gone. I drive for another week and everthing seemed fine. Still I brought the car to the dealer to find out why. This time they reprogram the "transmission adaptaiton procedure". The also recommended, to get rid off the "lurch" problem, a new tranny is the only solution.

3. Now it came again.......

Does anyone here has encountered the same problems? Any suggestion is highly appriciated.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Burj530' post='734153' date='Nov 29 2008, 10:40 AM
Hi All,

I am sending my 2005 530 (auot tranny) to the dealer (AGMC in Dubai) again in 2 months.

Apart from the annoying lurch before the car comes to a complete stop, the idrvie has given me "transmission fault" messgaes for 3 times;

1. the first time it came with false messages (like tire punsture but the tires are fine); the dealer adjusted the Steering angle sensor and reprogrammed the control unit. It worked fine for 3 months.

2. the message came up after a "slip" when changing gear. I was drving very slow, around 30~40 km/h. The tranny was then in the protection mode and I could only drive in low speed. I stopped the car, played a round of golf, back to car and start the engine, the message is gone. I drive for another week and everthing seemed fine. Still I brought the car to the dealer to find out why. This time they reprogram the "transmission adaptaiton procedure". The also recommended, to get rid off the "lurch" problem, a new tranny is the only solution.

3. Now it came again.......

Does anyone here has encountered the same problems? Any suggestion is highly appriciated.
I had the lurch before the car cam to a complete stop. It never recorded a fault, but they did some "mechanicalchecks" and were able to diagnose that it needed a new trasmission. They fixed that by replacing the tranny and re-programming to 31.02. Car shifts so smoothly now that's hard to tell when it shifts. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='734211' date='Nov 29 2008, 02:19 PM
I had the lurch before the car cam to a complete stop. It never recorded a fault, but they did some "mechanicalchecks" and were able to diagnose that it needed a new trasmission. They fixed that by replacing the tranny and re-programming to 31.02. Car shifts so smoothly now that's hard to tell when it shifts. Good luck.

Well if replacing the tranny is the only way to get rid of the lurch, then I have to spend a lot of money!! In Dubai they only offer 2 year warranty!
Mine is 2005!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Burj530' post='734217' date='Nov 29 2008, 12:25 PM
Well if replacing the tranny is the only way to get rid of the lurch, then I have to spend a lot of money!! In Dubai they only offer 2 year warranty!
Mine is 2005!
See if they'll work with BMW on it. This is a well known issue and to unacceptable for a sedan in the class of what BMW is to have a this rough shift when coming to a stop. You don't want the whole bill for a tranny in these cars.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='734428' date='Nov 29 2008, 07:18 PM
See if they'll work with BMW on it. This is a well known issue and to unacceptable for a sedan in the class of what BMW is to have a this rough shift when coming to a stop. You don't want the whole bill for a tranny in these cars.
The SA told me today they are asking a good will repair to replace he transmission. Not sure how much BMW would cover but 50% cost for parts could be the most generous they would offer. There is a Puma case so the I should know the outcome in couple of days. He also told me he has sent tow cases already today (another victim is a 3 series)!

Very disappointed as the car has only 90,000 km on the clock and has been serviced at the dealer (under 100,000 km service package). I have owned Peugeot 205, VW Golf, Citreon Xantia, Honda Accord and E46 323 and none of them had any problem with the tranny. Reading all the messages regarding the horrible tranny stories at this forum plus my own experience, I faith of the ultimate driving machine is about to drain out!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Burj530' post='735630' date='Dec 1 2008, 01:04 PM
The SA told me today they are asking a good will repair to replace he transmission. Not sure how much BMW would cover but 50% cost for parts could be the most generous they would offer. There is a Puma case so the I should know the outcome in couple of days. He also told me he has sent tow cases already today (another victim is a 3 series)!

Very disappointed as the car has only 90,000 km on the clock and has been serviced at the dealer (under 100,000 km service package). I have owned Peugeot 205, VW Golf, Citreon Xantia, Honda Accord and E46 323 and none of them had any problem with the tranny. Reading all the messages regarding the horrible tranny stories at this forum plus my own experience, I faith of the ultimate driving machine is about to drain out!
You are right. I feel just as disappointed about finding out their transmissions are not as good as they used to be. I wonder when BMW is going to admit that they've made a mistake by eliminitaning the more frequent transmission flushes.

Bottom line is they should either get away from the free "maintenance agreements" and let the owners go back to a more established maintenance program of replacing fluids at shorter frequency ranges, or keep the agreement and add the extra maintenance. From what I've seen, they're experiencing a bunch of transmission failures (and replacements) that might be costing them more in the long run. I think BMW should swallow their pride, admit they made a mistake, and advise people on more realistic tranny fluid replacement schedules.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

My experience is that the 'older' (5-speed) auto transmissions break more often than the newer 6-speed transmissions. My car (530d) has 174.000 km and is also remapped to 600Nm. It's shifts like new! With 'regular' usage, the auto transmissions will last a car-lifetime!

Btw, the (basic) transmission is build/designed by ZF. Other car manufacturers (e.g. Audi, M- also use the basics of ZF, but use different electronic programming.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Members

[quote name='LW78' date='Dec 2 2008, 05:38 AM' post='735684']
My experience is that the 'older' (5-speed) auto transmissions break more often than the newer 6-speed transmissions. My car (530d) has 174.000 km and is also remapped to 600Nm. It's shifts like new! With 'regular' usage, the auto transmissions will last a car-lifetime!

Btw, the (basic) transmission is build/designed by ZF. Other car manufacturers (e.g. Audi, M- also use the basics of ZF, but use different electronic programming.
[/quote

What reaaly pissed me off is that at 75000 km, I has brought the issue to the dealer (AGMC Dubai) and left the car there for 10 days. They have assured the me that nothign wrong with the tranny and reprograming plus steering angle sensor adjustment will do the magic.

At 87,000 km I compalined about the famous 2-1 lurch right before the car comes to a complete stop. They then told me the replacement of tranny is the only way to eliminate the problem. It seemed to me that once the warranty is over they will not hesitate to replace anthing at your cost if they dont know how to fix the problem.

I am waiting for the outcome of the good will request. Normaly the good will is valid for one month. I am thinking to bring my car to an independant BMW expert and have him to check the car. The car has the lurch like many of you have and 2 tranny fault messages in 6000 km. The fault message went away everytime you re-start the engine. Apart form these car runs great.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='735638' date='Dec 1 2008, 02:19 PM
You are right. I feel just as disappointed about finding out their transmissions are not as good as they used to be. I wonder when BMW is going to admit that they've made a mistake by eliminitaning the more frequent transmission flushes.

Bottom line is they should either get away from the free "maintenance agreements" and let the owners go back to a more established maintenance program of replacing fluids at shorter frequency ranges, or keep the agreement and add the extra maintenance. From what I've seen, they're experiencing a bunch of transmission failures (and replacements) that might be costing them more in the long run. I think BMW should swallow their pride, admit they made a mistake, and advise people on more realistic tranny fluid replacement schedules.
SA called today BMW has approved a good will repair to replace the transmission and to cover 70% of part cost. I will have to wait for another 10 days for the new transmission. I will keep everyone updated on the new tranny. I am curious if the new one really cures the "lurh".

Wish me luck!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:14 AM
Contributors

Before I start I realize that many drivers recommend Manual Transmissions in BMWs!

This recent report of auto transmission-related problems is unsettling. I had, what I considered premature, failures of transmissions in two past V-8 powered BMWs (Both 7 series). My decision to go with a 6cyl version of the 5er was based on the large number of transmission failure (multiple forums postings, Roundel Articles, etc.) for V-8 BMW automatics.

I know these cars are complex but to have a transmission drivetrain component failure at less than 100K-150K miles in a car driven reasonably and maintained regularly (opps - forgot ... Lifetime Fluids ) is not acceptable. It is even less acceptable in a BMW!

BMW's Drivetrain Engineering need to go back to the drawing board or they need to source transmissions from quality suppliers (UGH - General Motors :thumbsdown: )!

Are ZF Autos dying at a similar rate ?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fault!