E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans slam is back and it bucks like a mule....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2-1 shift is just ridiculous now, especially in DS mode. This thing bucks more than the mule in my personal photo. The slam is not as noticeable in "D" but it is just ridiculous in DS mode and when manually shifting if I don't shift down before the trans does it on its own.

I've sent a request to Center BMW to schedule an appointment for next week. This will be my 3rd time taking her in for this issue. The first two times was to LB BMW back when the car had 12,700 miles then at 13,750 miles. Now it's going back in at 16,000 miles.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Ok, today was f*cking embarrassing...went out to lunch with a few higher ups and the car 2-1 trans slam/jarring occurred every single f*cking time...this is complete BS!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I was told that the DS mode is more prone to the slam because it's really not a mode you're supposed to be on all the time. They fixed my slam by replacing the tranny under warranty.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Has the dealership updated the car's software recently? There were a number of driveability issues that affected vehicles with the N62TU engines up into the 2008 500's (like mine) which were resolved through software updates. The harsh 2-1 downshift affected 5-series, 7-series and X5's that I am aware of - there were service bulletins for each. I had related issues which were resolved with an update this summer to whatever the latest revision was at the time (the car had not been updated previously since it's 3/07 build).

You've probably already gone through this step, but thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

PS - the tranny 'reset' technique may provide temporary relief, but the software updates reprogram the interaction between a couple of the car's modules which are causing the underlying issue.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1041610' date='Oct 27 2009, 07:02 PM
I was told that the DS mode is more prone to the slam because it's really not a mode you're supposed to be on all the time. They fixed my slam by replacing the tranny under warranty.

At least they fixed your tranny. The service manager and regional tech both verified the "harsh jerk" when coming to a stop and BMW NA stated that it was normal car operation. They stated that a new tranny would not fix the problem. BMW stated that every 550i has this harsh jerking when coming to a stop. I guess the bulletin that they put out attempting to fix this problem only happened in their dreams. What a bunch of BSBSBSBSBSBSBS. El Immigrante, I feel your pain and faustration.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='1042148' date='Oct 28 2009, 12:53 PM
At least they fixed your tranny. The service manager and regional tech both verified the "harsh jerk" when coming to a stop and BMW NA stated that it was normal car operation. They stated that a new tranny would not fix the problem. BMW stated that every 550i has this harsh jerking when coming to a stop. I guess the bulletin that they put out attempting to fix this problem only happened in their dreams. What a bunch of BSBSBSBSBSBSBS. El Immigrante, I feel your pain and faustration.
Thanks. I spoke with my SA contact at Center BMW today (the dude is kickass by the way...dude fvcking rocks) and he scheduled for me to bring her in on Monday. I've been treated good by them in the past and I'm feeling confident they will fix it. Long Beach took a stab at it in the past (twice) and I got nothing from them other than it's "normal". I'm not taking "normal" for an answer any more. If for some reason BMW NA blocks any work, I'm contacting a lemon law attorney.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by lee1224' post='1042148' date='Oct 28 2009, 03:53 PM
That's BS. My 550, a Steptronic one, has no harsh jerking when I come to a stop. My Step is smooth.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

I think this should be a recall with so many people experincing it including me.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by El Immigrante' post='1042211' date='Oct 28 2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks. I spoke with my SA contact at Center BMW today (the dude is kickass by the way...dude fvcking rocks) and he scheduled for me to bring her in on Monday. I've been treated good by them in the past and I'm feeling confident they will fix it. Long Beach took a stab at it in the past (twice) and I got nothing from them other than it's "normal". I'm not taking "normal" for an answer any more. If for some reason BMW NA blocks any work, I'm contacting a lemon law attorney.
who's you SA there? the shop foreman there at center is pretty good....I've spoken to him a few times...my SA there is Andre

GL with this meng, hope it gets fixed...
Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1042220' date='Oct 28 2009, 02:10 PM
who's you SA there? the shop foreman there at center is pretty good....I've spoken to him a few times...my SA there is Andre

GL with this meng, hope it gets fixed...
My contact is Brian....these guys have a totally different approach (at least verbally) that makes you feel confident they'll do right by you...*fingers crossed*

Quick Reply: Trans slam is back and it bucks like a mule....