E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by 545smg' date='Oct 18 2005, 09:35 AM
[quote name='alexnyc' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:41 AM']very familiar problem indeed,i live in the area and also tired af tramlining,i am to change Dunlop RF to a Pirelli PZero Nero nonRF(stagg setup)tomorow-hopefully this will correct tramlining,will post results later.
[snapback]184915[/snapback]

What does a staggered set up mean? Thanks
[snapback]185689[/snapback]
[/quote]

530i sport with Dunlop runflats - no AS. The car has never tramlined - not even once. It tracks true and with no ambiguity.

I have driven it on perhaps the worst possible surface, grooved concrete - on I66W - west of the capitol beltway. No issues whatsoever.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

Originally Posted by 545smg' date='Oct 18 2005, 10:35 AM
[quote name='alexnyc' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:41 AM']very familiar problem indeed,i live in the area and also tired af tramlining,i am to change Dunlop RF to a Pirelli PZero Nero nonRF(stagg setup)tomorow-hopefully this will correct tramlining,will post results later.
[snapback]184915[/snapback]

What does a staggered set up mean? Thanks
[snapback]185689[/snapback]
[/quote]
Staggered setup=your rear tires/rims are of different size than your fronts are,i.e it is what you get in a BMW sport package,on my 545 it is 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear.
I am happy to report that my new Pirelli PZero Nero M+S is almost completely tramlining-free,much better ride, decent grip and perfect cornering(its still not broken in-i only have 50 miles on them-still have those small rubber hairs all over the tire and i feel it on hard acceleration/cornering)I wish i ve done it year ago!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 17 2005, 06:07 PM
[quote name='?gent99' date='Oct 17 2005, 05:49 PM'][quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 16 2005, 02:45 PM']It is the tires. Although I don't have an e60, the same thing occurs with the e39 with certain tires. I hated my potenza s03 pole postions because of terrible tramlining. My Goodyears F1 gsd3's are great. I never had a problem with the the OEM Dunlap s2000s either. It IS NOT the staggered setup.
[snapback]185019[/snapback]
I dunno, I have the F1s on my 2001 530i and it tramlines on a certain stretch of road just as much as my 545i with the rf dunlops. I always thought it was just a crappy road and somewhat wide, low-profile (read: stiffer) tires causing it but that was just a WAG.
[snapback]185416[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm. Where is a tire engineer when you need one.
[snapback]185457[/snapback]
[/quote]

I always thought tramlining was your tires following ruts in the road (as described above) so I wouldn't think the tires have anything to do with it. Heck, even my 1990 Toyota Pick-up tramlines on this certain stretch of road I take home from work everyday. Maybe we are mixing up terms and really describing two different problems?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:11 AM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

Have any of you guys seen a link on this forum to talk about tires?
Specifically RF vs NRF and also the brands? Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

my 545i with the rf dunlops were perfect (no tramline) until about 5000 miles when I started to notice. Now at 9000 miles they are terrrible. Worst tires ever.

Oh, and did I mention the noise. When new they were silent, now they compete with my truck.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Just had another perfect opportunity to test... While driving to lunch I had to take a road where just over half the width had been freshly paved, creating a rut right where the driver's side wheels would track. The car didn't dart or pull or tramline. Tracked true and straight with no extra steering input. To confuse the hypothesis even more, my runflats are running lower pressures, not higher ones which someone suggested would help alleviate tramlining.

So we have four sets of conflicting assertions:

Dunlop RFTs tramline and others don't
Dunlop RFTs don't tramline and others do

Staggered wheel setups tramline
Staggered wheel setups don't tramline

AS correction can manifest as tramlining
AS correction cannot manifest as tramlining

High pressure can alleviate tramlining
Low pressure does not exhibit tramlining

I'm willing to say at this point that we haven't been able to deduce anything meaningful from this interaction.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Has anyone tried it with no tires. Need to find out if its the car or the tires.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Oct 18 2005, 07:28 AM
RODY. Turned off the DSC/DTC this morning as suggested on the same stretch of road. Sorry to report it did not reduce the tramlining at all. Seems like AS has nothing to do with it. It made sense to me also that this might work but no luck. Thanks for the input anyway.
Netjazz
[snapback]185685[/snapback]

Actually I am glad to hear that AS has nothing to do with it, as I am a great proponent of AS.

I think that it still is at least partially a tire issue. As I mentioned above, in my past experience with other cars and tires I have been able to confirm that the tires were indeed the cause of the problem by switching tires (same size sport tires on the same car). I can remember at least two instances that this happened and in both cases it wasn't the old "worn" tires that gradually developed the tramlining problem, but instead the brand new tires that immediately upon purchase had the problem. Being the same size sport tires the only difference was the thread design. In both cases the new tires' thread design was such that there were wide grooves with solid strips next to them (as shown in my post above). The Dunlop's do have the same kind of thread design, but there may be another issue involved as well because some of us with the staggered Dunlop's, AS, and sport package are not having tramlining problems.........YET.

Maybe another batch of defective Dunlops??
Old 10-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 18 2005, 08:52 AM
I always thought tramlining was your tires following ruts in the road (as described above) so I wouldn't think the tires have anything to do with it.? ? Heck, even my 1990 Toyota Pick-up tramlines on this certain stretch of road I take home from work everyday.? Maybe we are mixing up terms and really describing two different problems??
[snapback]185723[/snapback]

Hmmmm.........maybe we are talking about two different things. I will try to clarify what I am talking about.

The type of road imperfections that cause the problem that I am thinking of as "tramlining" are things such as:

1. The shallow "lines" or "grooves" that run in freeway lanes that I guess are supposed to provide better grip when the surface is wet.

2. The dividing lines between two different slabs of concrete. You can usually see these between concrete lanes in freeways. However, sometimes they "redraw" the lines separating the lanes and end up putting these dividing lines within the lane, exacltly where the tires on one side of the care end up at.

The type of road imperfection that I am NOT talking about is deep & wide holes, cracks, grooves, or dips that can cause imbalance in any car.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Members

Rody,

Yeah, I think we are or at least *I* am!

Okay, I haven't noticed the tramlining (as defined by Rody) on my 545i/SMG with the Dunlop RFs and I recently put 4700 miles on her driving through British Columbia and Alberta (Canada).

Quick Reply: TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times