E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Cross Westchester Expressway(287) a few days ago in Westchester County in New York State going West from the entrance from the Merrit all the way up to exit 5 in White Plains (for those familiar with that area). The middle lane is treacherous for 545i Sports. I complained about my '04 545i Sport but I really think my '05 is worse as far as tramlining is concerned than the '04. Both cars have Dunlop RFs, but I can attest to the newer Dunlops (April'05 build) being no better, and possibly worse than the older tires as far as tramlining is concerned. I actually had to fight with the wheel to keep the car in control, and try as I may, could not do it. Finally gave up and made my way into the left lane (3 lane road) and gained control. Just a helpless feeling. The middle lane is worn in the track of the wheels of the countless trackter-trailers that all seem to ride the middle lane. That section of the road has not been repaved for years, thus the condition. I have also felt the tramlining on other roads, but to a lesser extent. Is this only the 545i Sport with the wider rear tires than those in front that has this problem? Are other brands of tires that are also staggered on 545i Sports better? I do know that on my '04 last winter, when I put on 17" Dunlop NON-RF snows with new rims, that the tramlining was greatly reduced on the same road.
Got 10,000 miles on the Dunlop RFs and like the staggered tire set-up on the Sport, but they are really a pain on some roads. They can probaly last another 10,000 miles, so will put up with them till than and decied what to do at that time. Curious if the 530i and the 525i have any tramlining problems. Looking forward to putting on my snows. Is anyone else bothered by this as I am? SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!
Netjazz
Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545 jet black/beige, smg sport,premium,sunshades,logic7,cwp,nav,pdc,bluetooth,16.0,light tint all around,Pirelli PZeroNero

very familiar problem indeed,i live in the area and also tired af tramlining,i am to change Dunlop RF to a Pirelli PZero Nero nonRF(stagg setup)tomorow-hopefully this will correct tramlining,will post results later.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I have a 545i sport with Dunlop Runflats and have the same problem at times. There is a road near me that I have the problem on all the time. Same situation as you described, countless tractor trailers have worn in the road. I feel like I have little control on this stretch of road. My tires are just about in need of replacement so I am debating to go back to the Runflats or not.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Tires can make all the difference. On my old 740 with Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 the tramlining was very bad. But when I put on my winter wheels and tires (same kind of wheels but with Blizzak LM22s), there was almost no tramlining.

I had the same experience with a winter / summer set-up on a 540 too.

I just picked up my new 2006 550 yesterday and it has Bridgestone Potenza RE050A run-flat tires. I did a little bit of highway driving and did not notice any tramlining effect.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

you just got your 550i yesterday could you please give us more info on how it feels and what the power is like. even though it's still not broken in, how does it feel around town etc etc etc please post ASAP.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='Oct 16 2005, 11:55 PM
Tires can make all the difference.? On my old 740 with Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 the tramlining was very bad.? But when I put on my winter wheels and tires (same kind of wheels but with Blizzak LM22s), there was almost no tramlining.

I had the same experience with a winter / summer set-up on a 540 too.

I just picked up my new 2006 550 yesterday and it has Bridgestone Potenza RE050A run-flat tires.? I did a little bit of highway driving and did not notice any tramlining effect.
[snapback]184922[/snapback]
You pick up your new car, Congrats!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 16 2005, 11:03 AM
you just got your 550i yesterday could you please give us more info on how it feels and what the power is like. even though it's still not broken in, how does it feel around town etc etc etc please post ASAP.
[snapback]184926[/snapback]

check out my topic in the Dealer section ... 550 review
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The problem is that Dunlop is a shitty brnd of tire. They suck.... period.

BMW should use Michelin...and nothing else.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Members

What's tramlining? Must be an East Coast thing. Is it like hydroplaning? Congrats on the 550.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mikej' date='Oct 16 2005, 12:55 PM
What's tramlining?? Must be an East Coast thing.? Is it like hydroplaning?? Congrats on the 550.
[snapback]184952[/snapback]

It's when a front tire darts left or right over a seam in the road. I think it happens more with tires that are designed to quickly move water from the center of the tire out. For some reason, these tires seems to work the same way over a crack or seam - they push it to the outside edge. The result is that your tire sort of quickly wiggles off the seam and feels like it jerks left or right for no reason.

Quick Reply: TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times