E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an interesting topic......I've swapped my Dunlop RFs for Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions a while back and the tramlining has not seemingly improved since the change. For your information, some of the roads over here in Korea are simply put "horrible" and honestly it sometimes feels like I am fighting with my car to keep it in a straight line......

I've heard that the active steering will sometimes "try" to correct the steering if it feels that the car is going awry------and I think this may the cause that it "amplifying" the feeling of fighting with the car as it is tramlining.

Just my two cents.............
Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

EXACTLY.

Michelin tires are good.

Dunlop suck fucking ass.

I only wish BMW would get their heads out of their asses and just put Michelin tires on their cars exclusively.
[snapback]185039[/snapback]
[/quote]
Boy you got a way with the words!!!!!!!! What are you trying to prove?
cheers
vern
Old 10-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributors

I have not experienced this on my 9/2004 production 545i sport yet (Dunlop Runflats) and I have more than 13000 miles now. However, in my past experience with other cars and tires I learned a couple of things. One is that tramlining was caused by the tire, and was not not car specific as on the same car one type of tire would do this and another type would not. The second thing was that one thing was common in all the tires that caused tramlining on my cars, and that was wide grooves in the thread. The tires with narrower grooves never gave me tramlining problems. When there is a solid strip of thread (with no breaks in it) that runs on one or both sides of the wide groove the problem is even more amplified. The Dunlop Sport 01 DSST that comes on our cars certainly meets these criteria (see pic below), but as I said I have not had any tramlining problems YET.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hartge530' date='Oct 16 2005, 10:36 PM
I've heard that the active steering will sometimes "try" to correct the steering if it feels that the car is going awry------and I think this may the cause that it "amplifying" the feeling of fighting with the car as it is tramlining.?

[snapback]185121[/snapback]

If I remember correctly Active Steering's "correction" feature can be de-activated by turning off the DSC/DTC completely. Maybe those who are having tramlining problems can turn off AS correction and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Members

Thanks for the suggestions guys. RODYBMW, it's worth a shot. Will turn off DSC/DTC later this week when I am back on that tramlining stretch of road again.
Will post results at that time.
I also tried increasing inflation of tires a bit, they were low. Brought them up to 37PSI rear, 33PSI front. Did help a bit, but this morning tramlining on that stretch of road was improved a bit but still not acceptable.
Thanks again
Netjazz
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

netjazz, try a bit more in the fronts. even 36 might help. you can always bring them down afterwards. Hey, it's just air.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by markt540i' date='Oct 16 2005, 02:45 PM
It is the tires. Although I don't have an e60, the same thing occurs with the e39 with certain tires. I hated my potenza s03 pole postions because of terrible tramlining. My Goodyears F1 gsd3's are great. I never had a problem with the the OEM Dunlap s2000s either. It IS NOT the staggered setup.
[snapback]185019[/snapback]
I dunno, I have the F1s on my 2001 530i and it tramlines on a certain stretch of road just as much as my 545i with the rf dunlops. I always thought it was just a crappy road and somewhat wide, low-profile (read: stiffer) tires causing it but that was just a WAG.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Oct 17 2005, 05:49 PM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Oct 16 2005, 02:45 PM']It is the tires. Although I don't have an e60, the same thing occurs with the e39 with certain tires. I hated my potenza s03 pole postions because of terrible tramlining. My Goodyears F1 gsd3's are great. I never had a problem with the the OEM Dunlap s2000s either. It IS NOT the staggered setup.
[snapback]185019[/snapback]
I dunno, I have the F1s on my 2001 530i and it tramlines on a certain stretch of road just as much as my 545i with the rf dunlops. I always thought it was just a crappy road and somewhat wide, low-profile (read: stiffer) tires causing it but that was just a WAG.
[snapback]185416[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm. Where is a tire engineer when you need one.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Oct 17 2005, 06:48 AM
[quote name='Hartge530' date='Oct 16 2005, 10:36 PM']I've heard that the active steering will sometimes "try" to correct the steering if it feels that the car is going awry------and I think this may the cause that it "amplifying" the feeling of fighting with the car as it is tramlining.?

[snapback]185121[/snapback]

If I remember correctly Active Steering's "correction" feature can be de-activated by turning off the DSC/DTC completely. Maybe those who are having tramlining problems can turn off AS correction and see if it makes a difference.
[snapback]185183[/snapback]
[/quote]

RODY. Turned off the DSC/DTC this morning as suggested on the same stretch of road. Sorry to report it did not reduce the tramlining at all. Seems like AS has nothing to do with it. It made sense to me also that this might work but no luck. Thanks for the input anyway. It seems to me that it is either the staggered tire set-up of the E-60 sport either with or without the Dunlop RFs. My dunlop non RF snows handle great on the same stetch of road. Please, if any one with the staggered set-up on an E60 has no tramlining with another brand of tires, let us know. THEY WILL BE MY NEXT SET OF TIRES.
Netjazz
Old 10-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG, Dinan Flywheel, M Sport Kit Blk, Blk.

Originally Posted by alexnyc' date='Oct 16 2005, 07:41 AM
very familiar problem indeed,i live in the area and also tired af tramlining,i am to change Dunlop RF to a Pirelli PZero Nero nonRF(stagg setup)tomorow-hopefully this will correct tramlining,will post results later.
[snapback]184915[/snapback]

What does a staggered set up mean? Thanks

Quick Reply: TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times