E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='Oct 16 2005, 02:58 PM
[quote name='mikej' date='Oct 16 2005, 12:55 PM']What's tramlining?? Must be an East Coast thing.? Is it like hydroplaning?? Congrats on the 550.
[snapback]184952[/snapback]

It's when a front tire darts left or right over a seam in the road. I think it happens more with tires that are designed to quickly move water from the center of the tire out. For some reason, these tires seems to work the same way over a crack or seam - they push it to the outside edge. The result is that your tire sort of quickly wiggles off the seam and feels like it jerks left or right for no reason.
[snapback]184966[/snapback]
[/quote]

My experience with tramlining is when the car does not want to go staight because of ruts in the pavement, usually caused by heavy trucks. Instead, the car will veer to the right or left. The wider the tire the more the tramlining.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='Oct 16 2005, 11:58 AM
[quote name='mikej' date='Oct 16 2005, 12:55 PM']What's tramlining?? Must be an East Coast thing.? Is it like hydroplaning?? Congrats on the 550.
[snapback]184952[/snapback]

It's when a front tire darts left or right over a seam in the road. I think it happens more with tires that are designed to quickly move water from the center of the tire out. For some reason, these tires seems to work the same way over a crack or seam - they push it to the outside edge. The result is that your tire sort of quickly wiggles off the seam and feels like it jerks left or right for no reason.
[snapback]184966[/snapback]
[/quote]

Oh ok, thanks. I never knew there was a term for that. I thought that was just a normal thing because it's like your tires are riding on long rut. So, certain tires handle this situation differently. Could it be that winter tires are just better at handling tramlining?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Don't really have any complaints here...
Old 10-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

It is the tires. Although I don't have an e60, the same thing occurs with the e39 with certain tires. I hated my potenza s03 pole postions because of terrible tramlining. My Goodyears F1 gsd3's are great. I never had a problem with the the OEM Dunlap s2000s either. It IS NOT the staggered setup.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

I have 545i w/o sport package (Conti all-seasons). No tramlining experience, the car is very stable at any speed in the wet or dry roads.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Members

netjazz,

I actually live in Westchester and drive the roads you outline everyday. I have a 2004 545i w/Sports and I had the same issues you describe but then about after 1000 miles I purchased a set of BBS RXII 19" wheels with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and wow what a difference. Same roads very limited tramiling for the past 18 months.

Very happy so far.

Al
Old 10-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

after 1000 miles I purchased a set of BBS RXII 19" wheels with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and wow what a difference. Same roads very limited tramiling for the past 18 months.

EXACTLY.

Michelin tires are good.

Dunlop suck fucking ass.

I only wish BMW would get their heads out of their asses and just put Michelin tires on their cars exclusively.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Actually, my experience is just the opposite. My Dunlop RFTs have been trouble-free, and very good performers. The Michelins that came on my old Acura TL-S were absolute dog leavings.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

I've had the same problems with my Dunlop runflats. However, I have found that playing with the air pressure a bit seems to help a good bit. Upping the air seems to really help. You might try putting them up a bit, into the mid 30's psi or more.

They seem really bad when they are at lower air pressure levels especially then the tires loose some tread once they are not new anymore.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Oct 16 2005, 09:27 AM
On? Cross Westchester Expressway(287) a few days ago in Westchester County in New York State going West from the entrance from the Merrit all the way up to exit 5 in White Plains (for those familiar with that area). The middle lane is treacherous for 545i Sports. I complained about my '04 545i Sport but I really think my '05 is worse as far as tramlining is concerned than the '04. Both cars have Dunlop RFs, but I can attest to the newer Dunlops (April'05 build) being no better, and possibly worse than the older tires as far as tramlining is concerned. I actually had to fight with the wheel to keep the car in control, and try as I may, could not do it. Finally gave up and made my way into the left lane (3 lane road) and gained control. Just a helpless feeling. The middle lane is worn in the track of the wheels of the countless trackter-trailers that all seem to ride the middle lane. That section of the road has not been repaved for years, thus the condition. I have also felt the tramlining on other roads, but to a lesser extent. Is this only the 545i Sport with the wider rear tires than those in front that has this problem? Are other brands of tires that are also staggered on 545i Sports better? I do know that on my '04 last winter, when I put on 17" Dunlop NON-RF snows with new rims, that the tramlining was greatly reduced on the same road.
Got 10,000 miles on the Dunlop RFs and like the staggered tire set-up on the Sport, but they are really a pain on some roads. They can probaly last another 10,000 miles, so will put up with them till than and decied what to do at that time. Curious if the 530i and the 525i have any tramlining problems. Looking forward to putting on my snows. Is anyone else? bothered by this as I am? SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!
Netjazz
[snapback]184869[/snapback]
I am not convinced that this is a BMW issue or a Dunlop issue, since my Vette also suffers from this malidy. I believe that it has more to do with the tire size configuration on the vehicle, rather than the brand of tire. My Vette has 245/45X17 Goodyear RF on the front and 275/40X18 on the rear. This is almost the same configuration as my BMW which has 245/40X18 on the front and 275/35X18 on the rear. I believe that it has to do with the narrow versus wide combination front to rear rather that a particular tread design.

It would be interesting to see if anyone who has a 545 non-sport with Dunplops has the same problem, since they have the same size front and rear.

Any comments?

Joe

Quick Reply: TRAMLINING Almost feels out of control at times