E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 05:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

even if you don't have the BMW cell installed, there is actually a phone built in for the BMW Assist. Only way to use it is to press SOS button or have it call automatically when there is an accident where the airbags deploy. This is definitely one where BMW dropped the ball. I can't believe they don't have the ability to track. I discussed this at length with my dealer when I bought the car. My previous vehicle was a GMC Yukon that had OnStar, which had the ability to track the car if stolen. That was the sole reason I renewed the service every year. If BMW Assit had it, I would likely renew it as well, but as it stands now, after the included first year, I'm dropping it.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I think one of the problems why BMW decided to not do it is, that if you know the car is trackable via BMW Assist, you know a way to eliminate the BMW built in phone for assist.
Having an aftermarket system like Lojack, the thief doesn't know you have it, nor (if he thinks you might) does he know where it is located in the car. So he can't eliminate it.
But the biggest reason why BMW is not doing it is the privacy factor.
I remember tzhat the FBI randomly picked cars equipped with OnStar and listend to the conversations held in the car, without even knowing who it is they were listening too...
BMW saves our privacy and if you want tracking you need to get an aftermarket device. I think it's not a bad idea to handle it this way, but I do see that the BMW Assist service in the USA is definately NOT satisfying!
Over here in Germany the BMW Assist is offering a pretty good service, waaaay better than in the States, but even here the cars can't be tracked by BMW Assist!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Members

Over here in Germany the BMW Assist is offering a pretty good service, waaaay better than in the States
Iceman:
How does the US BMW Assist differ from the one in Germany?
Old 09-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributors

BMW Assist can't track the car. My 04 530 was stolen and they could not track it. This is to avoid dealing with privacy issues.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 545RV' date='Sep 13 2004, 05:04 PM
Over here in Germany the BMW Assist is offering a pretty good service, waaaay better than in the States
Iceman:
How does the US BMW Assist differ from the one in Germany?
No extra charge for concierge service.
You can send data sets (nav routes, phone numbers, notes...) to your car from the internet.
When asking BMW Assist for something they can send data sets to your car as well.
Also we have the SOS function and the automatic SOS feature in case of a crash.
If you are driving the same route every day (to work) you can configure your route once on the internet and whenever you start your car in the morning the car checks for traffic jams, etc...

Stuff like that...
Old 09-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Members

Thanks Iceman
Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Then you only have the SOS button.

But that doesn't help you in case the car is stolen or you have forgotten the keys inside.

They can not get in contact with the car, unless the car itself, or the user inside of the car makes contact.
Therefore they can't open doors nor can they track it when it's stolen.

It's all about privacy protection...
i understand the privacy protection and i appreciate it very much. but if they behave themselves and don't do anything w/o the owner's permission, a tracking device comes in quite handy .
Old 09-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Sep 13 2004, 11:31 PM
i understand the privacy protection and i appreciate it very much. but if they behave themselves and don't do anything w/o the owner's permission, a tracking device comes in quite handy .
But others could hack it... That's why they don't do it... privacy...
BMW would allways respect our privacy and would never do anything without permission, but others (like the FBI) would use it too...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

BMW would allways respect our privacy and would never do anything without permission, but others (like the FBI) would use it too...
well, respect our privacy is good but i'm expecting more respects from them, especially i still don't have my car back yet !