E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tow Bar Advice - Do you have a removable swan-neck ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I think a section needs to be cut out from the rear bumber valance to fit the towbar - and the removable section then fills this in.
Was a botch hack job by the dealer who fitted mine - but a much neater job by the Honda dealer for my wife's car
Old 11-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

From what I've read, the "genuine" BMW towbar is a Westphalia one. The downside to this is that there is a visible cut in the bumper where you have to clip in a cover. The upside is that you can't see the towbar or electrics at all - just the cover. Witter and Brink both do detachables where there is no need to cut the bumper, just a slot in the undertray, but you can see the detachable socket and the electric socket(s). Having experienced both on other cars, I went for the Witter - I can live with the (unobtrusive) sockets because I don't want to grovel under the car to look for the electrics (usually in the rain, on a wet, muddy field ) when I hitch up. Everyone has their own ideas of course.
Next week's job is to actually fit the Witter and wiring kit. I've lashed out on the proper plug-in one - Question : Does anyone know if I'll have to have the car to the Dealers to get it updated before towing?? I have heard that the electric box of tricks interacts with the car's ECU to modify the torque curve on the (diesel) engine when it's pulling a trailer/caravan. I would be interested to know if this is the case. A pal's dealer told him that the Factory Fit towbar option (rather than Dealer fit) included uprated rear shockers too .
Old 11-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Auto Saloon, Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights, Active Steering, Comfort seats, Bluetooth, Superchipped, extended leather

Cheers guys.

Ian's sending some pics when his car's back from the dealers, but it sounds like the panel is an interference/snap fit into the slot I need to cut into the rear bumper cover, so today I'll be getting the jigsaw out!

I thought the E60 had self-levelling rear suspension?

Mine's chipped (Superchips) so I have no idea if the trailer coupling will have any effect when connected.

I have a couple of mates that run an Independent BMW garage in Hull, so I'll ask them if they know anything more.

Thanks again.

BTW, if you need any advice on bumper removal/refit, give me a shout.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

E61 touring has self levelling (superb, when sensors don't fail or dealer set up lop sided).
My towbar was retrofitted by the dealer, but needed a software upgrade at the time. Certainly changes some of the logic (suppreses PDC at rear when plugged in, also seems to suppress rear fog lights). Not noticed if any change to engine / gearbox settings as my trailer quite light and 530d massive torque at best of times - certainly overtaken lots of queues up the hills ;-)