E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tow Bar Advice - Do you have a removable swan-neck ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Ian
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D SE

My second-hand 530d came with an un-used removable tow bar, but other than a label, no instructions. Can someone please explain to me how the large knurled knob and key system works. Don't want to have it drop off accidentally or me struggle to get it off either !!!

Are there any on-line user instructions out there somewhere ?

Thanks.

Ian.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Members

Ian, it sounds like it might be the Witter quantum, does it look like this?

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/witter_det...er_quantum.aspx
Old 06-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

To install it,
Just ram it in very hard, you can remove the key for security

To remove it,

Turn the key, and pull out the red knob, now rotate it clockwise and the towbar falls out..

as simple is that, thats all you need to know

The original one, from BMW is from Westfalia, maybe this will help to search for the manual.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:39 AM
Ian
Members

Mine is a Westfalia. Unfortunately the link on their website for the model I seem to have doesn't seem to work. The knob on mine has green and red markings and also seems to pull out slightly as well as turn. There is a set of two keys too for a lock. The whole thing is bare aluminium and has ball bearings at the connecting end. All fits neatly into the wheel well with shaped polystyrene, so looks a BMW dealer fit.

Someone must have one ?
Old 06-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

Sounds like the standard fit one. I have on on the 530d Touring.

First I need to removed a small plastic cover section of the rear bumper - not sure if tghis is necessary on the saloon.
Then there should be a red plastic piece plugging the hole where the tow bar fits - keeps the crud out
Then put in the key, turn to unlock, then PULL OUT and rotate the knurled wheel - think the red segment points back. Keep holding the wheel out as push into the hole where the red plug came from.
Should suddenly engage, release the wheel and it should spring round to show green. Lock and remove key and it is done.

Simpler than it sounds. Can probably dig out instructions if nevessary
Old 06-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Ian
Members

Thanks. That's what I needed to know. Same as mine. I'll have a bash in the morning...

Ian.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by Justin' post='295339' date='Jun 9 2006, 11:51 PM
To install it,
Just ram it in very hard, you can remove the key for security

To remove it,

Turn the key, and pull out the red knob, now rotate it clockwise and the towbar falls out..
as simple is that, thats all you need to know

The original one, from BMW is from Westfalia, maybe this will help to search for the manual.
Ian - the pictures of TACTRAS's car in the thread below may help to confirm that you have the Westfalia bar as per Justin's instructions above.

Scroll down to the end of post number 18 and you'll see what I mean. (Ignore the Towsure pictures on my Black SE model, it's the ones at the end on the light blue Sport model you should recognise)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...hl=towbar&st=15

What model do you have (Sport or SE?)
Old 06-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Ian
Members

Thanks Kev. Yes mine is a Westfalia (stamped BMW in places) and similar to the model at the end of the post. Tried this morning and all worked fine. Once sussed, it's very easy to install and remove. My bumber has a very subtle pull out section. Less pronounced to the one in the post above (approx 8" long x 2" high). Not sure why the previous owner specified it as it's not been used. The milling marks are still on the tow ball and it's all spotless !

In answer to your question, I've got a Saphire Black 530D SE. Took a while to find a nice one, as most seem to be silver...

Ian.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by Ian' post='296010' date='Jun 11 2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks Kev. Yes mine is a Westfalia (stamped BMW in places) and similar to the model at the end of the post. Tried this morning and all worked fine. Once sussed, it's very easy to install and remove. My bumber has a very subtle pull out section. Less pronounced to the one in the post above (approx 8" long x 2" high). Not sure why the previous owner specified it as it's not been used. The milling marks are still on the tow ball and it's all spotless !

In answer to your question, I've got a Saphire Black 530D SE. Took a while to find a nice one, as most seem to be silver...

Ian.
Excellent choice of colour if I do say so myself! Ditto on the time it took me to find what I wanted. Seemed to be plenty of Silver Auto models around but I wanted a black manual with leather which were like hens teeth.

Post some pics when you get a chance. (Add a signature with some details on your specification so we can all see what you have).
Old 11-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Auto Saloon, Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights, Active Steering, Comfort seats, Bluetooth, Superchipped, extended leather

Ian - HELP!

I have purchased a Westfalia kit for mine, which has all fitted fine except I can't work out how the little flap (numbered 3) fits into the rear bumper cover! The dealer doesn't have any other pics than these below.

I've purchased the new tray (numbered 7 below) and it's too large to clip the little flap onto!

Could you take a picture of yours with the flap removed so I can see how it attaches please? Mine's also a UK E60 SE.

Many thanks in advance.

Stu

Quick Reply: Tow Bar Advice - Do you have a removable swan-neck ?