E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Totaled or Repairable???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008 | 07:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Glad everyone is OK...This must have been really scary!!!
if it were me, I would have it repaired then trade in for new one.
On a side note, I wonder how effective the rear sun shade option would be in stopping flying glass from hitting a rear facing child??? I always figured it would be a waste for me cause my kids would probably reach up and yank them down and break it...but in light of your unfortune, I may possibly reconsider on future purchases.
Old 07-24-2008 | 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Hope all will go well for you.
Old 07-28-2008 | 06:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Originally Posted by JDoug550' post='628668' date='Jul 20 2008, 05:01 PM
Glad to hear you are okay. And the soda stayed in the cup holder? That's it, no more bashing on the cup holders.
JDoug,

Man, your car rocks, sharp as a tack
Old 07-28-2008 | 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I'm hoping the other party has sufficient insurance to completely cover the loss. Between your car and the others, there may well be over $40K in property damages. May driving today don't have that much coverage (I think the minimum Cali liability of 15K/30K/5K is a joke. Indiana's 25K/50K/10K is almost twice our minimum). $5,000 for repairs? Hell, that'll replace a bumper and maybe a door on an E60 - not too much else if a BMW repair facility is used.
Old 07-29-2008 | 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='631528' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:38 AM
Glad everyone is OK...This must have been really scary!!!
if it were me, I would have it repaired then trade in for new one.
On a side note, I wonder how effective the rear sun shade option would be in stopping flying glass from hitting a rear facing child??? I always figured it would be a waste for me cause my kids would probably reach up and yank them down and break it...but in light of your unfortune, I may possibly reconsider on future purchases.

I had 5% tint all the way around and held the window together except a little bit aound the edges.
Old 07-29-2008 | 04:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='634696' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:15 PM
Indiana's 25K/50K/10K is almost twice our minimum). $5,000 for repairs? Hell, that'll replace a bumper and maybe a door on an E60 - not too much else if a BMW repair facility is used.
I thought Indiana's minimums were too high, until last week. I am not worried, I am going through my insurance, they have already contacted his insurance company and they have accepted liability. I am not responsible for hitting the lady in front either. My agent has said this will not effect my rates at all.

I spoke with the dealer's body shop yesterday and they spoke with the appraiser last week and recommended to him that it be totaled, he replied he would. It's been a week since he went out, so I hope he is taking the time to add it all in.
Old 07-29-2008 | 07:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One
Originally Posted by silver2000stang' post='634904' date='Jul 29 2008, 08:23 AM
I thought Indiana's minimums were too high, until last week. I am not worried, I am going through my insurance, they have already contacted his insurance company and they have accepted liability. I am not responsible for hitting the lady in front either. My agent has said this will not effect my rates at all.

I spoke with the dealer's body shop yesterday and they spoke with the appraiser last week and recommended to him that it be totaled, he replied he would. It's been a week since he went out, so I hope he is taking the time to add it all in.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work out for you...
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

That is a total, no doubt about it silver2000stang.

Glad that your family and you are alright!

That's the shortest E60 I ever seen.

But the bend at the C-pillar (rear window/trunk) seen in your pics tells it all,
the mono cock frame is bent.
Also that the airbag did go tells it, as the wrinkle in the all aluminum front frame (A-pillar).
That car cannot ever be repaired to the almost brand new car it was, whatever some will say.

So go and order yourself a brand new (hopefully a September MY '09 built) car in courtesy
of the asshole truck driver's insurance company.
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Glad you are OK and it's great that it will be totalled , .............what now ? an X5 ??
Old 07-29-2008 | 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='635215' date='Jul 29 2008, 01:07 PM
That is a total, no doubt about it silver2000stang.

Glad that your family and you are alright!

That's the shortest E60 I ever seen.

But the bend at the C-pillar (rear window/trunk) seen in your pics tells it all,
the mono cock frame is bent.
Also that the airbag did go tells it, as the wrinkle in the all aluminum front frame (A-pillar).
That car cannot ever be repaired to the almost brand new car it was, whatever some will say.

So go and order yourself a brand new (hopefully a September MY '09 built) car in courtesy
of the asshole truck driver's insurance company.

There is absolutely no way to tell that from those photos. Believe me, I know. My airbag was deployed, I had MAJOR damage and they refused to total it. Insurance is big business. Just because you want it to be totalled does not mean that it will be. I hope ns his situation they total it, but one never knows.

Quick Reply: Totaled or Repairable???