E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Totaled or Repairable???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get the same exact car imo
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='635246' date='Jul 29 2008, 09:38 PM
There is absolutely no way to tell that from those photos. Believe me, I know. My airbag was deployed, I had MAJOR damage and they refused to total it. Insurance is big business. Just because you want it to be totalled does not mean that it will be. I hope is his situation they total it, but one never knows.
Most insurance detectives make their decisions from pics.
But since we are talking about a expensive luxury car, it may be wise to look at it closely.

The C-pillar wrinkle tells any one, in the car business, that the whole rear frame-constitution is destroyed.
There's no way to the reconstruct it, without the cars strong point calculations suffering from it.

The driver-side front A-pillar movement tells that, the very exceptional E60 full alu front end construction,
is also in need of a full change.

This case is easy; totaled.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Members

I still have no news on the appraisal, it will be a week tomorrow since he went out. The dealer's body shop siad they recommended to him that it be totaled and he said he would make it happen. My claims agent is on vacation this week, so it may be until Monday before I hear for sure.

The body shop said that if a frame rail is bent more than 3mm it has to be replaced which includes removing enging, tranny, dash etc... at the service bay rates of $109/hr instead of the body shop rate of $50/hr. That should drive the repair bill high enough to be totaled, but I don't want to get my hopes up until I hear for sure.

Jmsod-they didn't do a tear down, just a visual inspection. going off the body shop's conversation, I think he is going to push it as high as he can.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by silver2000stang' post='635459' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:49 PM
I still have no news on the appraisal, it will be a week tomorrow since he went out. The dealer's body shop siad they recommended to him that it be totaled and he said he would make it happen. My claims agent is on vacation this week, so it may be until Monday before I hear for sure.

The body shop said that if a frame rail is bent more than 3mm it has to be replaced which includes removing enging, tranny, dash etc... at the service bay rates of $109/hr instead of the body shop rate of $50/hr. That should drive the repair bill high enough to be totaled, but I don't want to get my hopes up until I hear for sure.

Jmsod-they didn't do a tear down, just a visual inspection. going off the body shop's conversation, I think he is going to push it as high as he can.

I heard the same from a body shop here in barrington. The guy said and I quote: "They're gorgeous cars but the whole front end is basically all aluminum, even the engine. So whatever you do, don't crash this thing because if you bend the frame even slightly, you have to replace the entire thing. Super-expensive."
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by silver2000stang' post='635459' date='Jul 29 2008, 04:49 PM

I had a similar accident and damage. The battery was compromised, which resulted in a small fire. The vehicle was repaired and the diminished value was $11K due to the damage. I sincerely hope that your vehicle is totaled.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Man, what a world, we are all sitting here hoping that his car is TOTALLED!!! And so is he!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='635307' date='Jul 29 2008, 03:12 PM
Most insurance detectives make their decisions from pics.
But since we are talking about a expensive luxury car, it may be wise to look at it closely.

The C-pillar wrinkle tells any one, in the car business, that the whole rear frame-constitution is destroyed.
There's no way to the reconstruct it, without the cars strong point calculations suffering from it.

The driver-side front A-pillar movement tells that, the very exceptional E60 full alu front end construction,
is also in need of a full change.

This case is easy; totaled.

I sincerely hope that you are right, but believe me, this is not as straight forward as you think. I just went through this process. I posted photos and most everyone said that it would be totalled and it was not. Also, at least in the US, they do NOT make decisions based on photos. They do a complete tear down of the car. As you said, there are a few things that can be damaged rather minimally that will automatically make the car totalled (i.e. a kink in the firewall, etc.), but the process is hardly straight forward. Insurance is BIG business. They are doing serious calculations to make sure that they (insurance company) minimize their cost to replace or repair.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 AM
Members

in this case, the way they evaluate the car is the appraiser goes out and does a visual inspection. he writes his estimate and sends to the insurance company, if they don't total it right away, the body shop starts the tear down, if they find more damage, the appraiser goes back out and looks at the hidden damage and calculates that. then the insurance company receives the supplemental claim.

I have been over this with the body shop as well as my claims agent, i know more about this than I would have cared to before.

If they do total it, then I will have a total loss agent to contact me to explain the loss as well as find out if it is financed and with whom, they cut a check and the vehicle loss is closed. I still have my injury claim open, though.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Don't leave it alone, repair it if the price won't be too much high!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Members

I just spoke with the appraiser and he said that they need to be @ 70% of the value to total it, they are close but not there yet. He is going back out today and the dealer is removing a couple body panels so he can take pics to justify the repairs he has so far.

With what he told me he has and where he said he needs to be, he is only $2000-$3000 away.

Quick Reply: Totaled or Repairable???