E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too light steering on E60.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525iA, Black II, Bi-Xenon, Navigation Proffesional, PDC, servotronic, HiFi, voice recognition system, Riegel ahorn wood.
Unhappy

I have recently converted from E39 (523 i '99) to E60 (525i '04). I love the driving performance of the E60 a lot. However, I am quite disappointed that the steering is so extremely light compared to the E39. Okay, maybe the E39 was too heavy on the steering wheel, but the E60 is far too light in my opinion

I am very surpriced that BMW has changed to almost "American" power steering :thumbsdown:

I have the servotronic system, or activ driving as some call it. Does this mean anything in the respect?

Some opinions about this? Is it possible to reduce the power of the power steering electronically?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it 550? Mine is 530 & it's fine.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

that is what it is, the active steering gives you that over assited feel while driving in low speed and aorund a parking lot. I had it in my old E60 530 and liked it at times and not at others. I rememeber BMW did a CIP upgrade and the steering got a bit tigher but nothing like regular power steering as I have now.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Bruggern' post='291685' date='Jun 2 2006, 10:37 PM
Some opinions about this? Is it possible to reduce the power of the power steering electronically?
Do you have AS?

My steering is perfect and better compared to the E39.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bruggern' post='291685' date='Jun 2 2006, 03:37 PM
I have recently converted from E39 (523 i '99) to E60 (525i '04). I love the driving performance of the E60 a lot. However, I am quite disappointed that the steering is so extremely light compared to the E39. Okay, maybe the E39 was too heavy on the steering wheel, but the E60 is far too light in my opinion

I am very surpriced that BMW has changed to almost "American" power steering
I mostly agree. The steering is too light and lighter than my E39 540i. But I didn't think the E39 was too heavy. However, I also didn't like the recirc. ball steering in my E39. The E60 steering (non-AS) is much too light but it's not as light as some american cars. It's also heavier than American targeted Toyota and Lexus.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Contributors

My non-AS car steering is too heavy on the highway. After a long trip, my hands are tired. I also think the heated sport wheel is too thick. These are really the only complaints I have with the car, after 1 month and 4k miles.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='291985' date='Jun 3 2006, 07:36 PM
The E60 steering (non-AS) is much too light but it's not as light as some american cars. It's also heavier than American targeted Toyota and Lexus.
You must have 245/40 18" front wheels?
Your profile do not tell us what wheels you have.

Are you sure the tyre pressure is not too high?

By reducing the pressure to the lower limit
the steering will get heavier.

I usually drive alone or with my girlfriend
so I use tyre pressues that are the lower
recommended + 0,2 or 0.3.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

you have AS correct? i also hate how light the steering is in my car (i have AS). i've read that newer CIP updates may give you a heavier AS feel. maybe you should try that.

non-AS e60s still don't feel as heavy as the e39 though. i guess bmws are just getting more luxurious and less sporty. btw, all the e39s had rack and pinion steering, except the 540, which had recirculating ball.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bruggern' post='291685' date='Jun 2 2006, 08:37 PM

I am very surpriced that BMW has changed to almost "American" power steering :thumbsdown:

I have the servotronic system, or activ driving as some call it. Does this mean anything in the respect?

I found out a bit about this the other day.

There are 2 issues:

Newer models have servotronic steering as standard - by comparison to my 2004 car the steering is INCREDIBLY light - which I actually liked.

This is entirely separate to active steering, which adjusts the ratio - lock to lock - dependant on speed.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525iA, Black II, Bi-Xenon, Navigation Proffesional, PDC, servotronic, HiFi, voice recognition system, Riegel ahorn wood.

Thank you all for your answers. Sorry it took me so long to respond - but I've been too busy for internet these days. Unfortunately I had misunderstood and thought servotronic actually WAS active steering, which is not the case. So I have not AS - I have only servotronic.

The light steering is something I still don't seem to get used to . Okay, I like it when the car is at halt and nearly at halt (0-3 km/h). In 20-40 km/h the light steering is especially disturbing. What I understand, servotronic is an increased power of the power steering at low speeds. Correct? This is something I thought modern expensive cars (as BMW) have had for years (progressive power steering). Is it so that servotronic is just much more of the extra power assist at low speeds?

Talked with my local BMW-dealer today (Haugesund, Norway). He didn't think it was possible to make the steering more heavy. He also had some doubts about the possibility of disabling the servotronic system. I really hope he is wrong, because the extremely light steering takes away much of the good BMW-feeling for me

Quick Reply: Too light steering on E60.