E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TMC/tuner glitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes, TMC can take an absolute age (upwards of 1 hour into a journey) to come online.

But I have found that I can force it on within seconds by tuning to Classic FM (the TMC carrier station).

Anyone else with similar TMC experiences?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Contributors

Pro-nav has the pro radio so one tuner should stay locked onto classic FM TMC, it seems to drop it if you have TP activated as well, I noticed the long update times on TMC and have cured it by turning travel program off, that way, if you are listening to a non TP station, the second tuner seems to stay locked on TMC and not go off looking for a traffic info fm station.

of course, if you don't have tp activated then this blows my theroy right out the water

confused?.........I know I am!

DD
Old 06-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Jun 14 2004, 02:44 PM
of course, if you don't have tp activated then this blows my theroy right out the water
Aw shucks, unfortunately I don't bother with TP.

And, you were sounding so convincing as well
Old 06-14-2004, 07:04 AM
Contributors

mayby its the classic fm transmitters, I know they broadcast up here with about a tenth of the ERP of radio 2 etc, so much so that in the centre of glasgow, it becomes very crackly indeed......where abouts are you?

(ERP- Effective Radiated Power)

DD
Old 06-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

In Nottingham. Thing is as an example on Friday I travelled from Nottingham, up the A1 and got to the M62 north of Manchester with no TMC, before thinking "this is ridiculous", manually tuning to Classic FM, and ping! TMC comes on immediately.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

I have had no problems with TMC,TP is on all the time.Takes about 15-30 sec's to produce a list of traffic hot spots.As DD said you must have one of your tuners on Classic,make sure this is ticked in the options.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

No problems whatsoever to report with TMC. It did however took a long time to come active in my old car (330Cic) most of the time I had to wait at least something like 5 minutes.

In regards to your problem, check whether you have set your TMC channel preference to AUTO or locked it to a specific station. If it's not set to AUTO then change it back, if it's already set to AUTO then set it to the channel to which you have to tune before it becomes active and check whether this improves the delay that you're experiencing.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JohanDC' date='Jun 14 2004, 08:28 PM
In regards to your problem, check whether you have set your TMC channel preference to AUTO or locked it to a specific station. If it's not set to AUTO then change it back, if it's already set to AUTO then set it to the channel to which you have to tune before it becomes active and check whether this improves the delay that you're experiencing.
Did you read my post at all?

That's precisely what I'm having to do - tune to Classic FM (TMC carrier in ther UK), in order to get TMC to "activate" in good time.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jun 14 2004, 02:49 PM
Did you read my post at all?? ?

That's precisely what I'm having to do - tune to Classic FM (TMC carrier in ther UK), in order to get TMC to "activate" in good time.
browellm - I think you are mixing some things up here. I am not referring to tune to classic FM to get TMC working. When you go to the setting menu of I-Drive (by pressing the controller down from the main window) you will get lots of options to configure how your car behaves. Somewhere in there you will also find some options in regards to TP and TMC to which I was referring. In there you will have the option to enable/disable TMC, select a preferred TMC station or put it on AUTO so that your tuner will scan all stations and select the one with the strongest TMC signal.

If you are referring to the same thing, then my apologies my friend, but I am pretty sure that you're referring to something else and aren't aware of these advanced options.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

Sorry, I did misunderstand your last post then, but all the vehicle settings stuff is as you said.

Indeed I have tried many things to maybe "force" TMC back on through vehicle settings, including:

turning TMC off then on again
Changing from AUTO to manual (there is only one carrier in the UK) and back to AUTO
Tried leaving it on "manual" (can't remember if it made any difference), but I noticed that it was back at AUTO after being in sleep mode anyway.

However, the only reliable way appears to be to explicitly tune to the carrier station.

I should point out this problem does not happen 100% of the time, but when it does it can take an age to pick up TMC unless I take the corrective measures already described.

Quick Reply: TMC/tuner glitch