E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TMC now works with Business Navigation in UK

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karm' date='Oct 9 2004, 06:58 AM
[quote name='paasan' date='Oct 9 2004, 05:31 AM'][quote name='karm' date='Oct 8 2004, 04:54 PM']I have just had TMC activated by my local BMW dealer for my 530D Business Navigation in UK. It works remarkbly well and does dynamically re-route when there are traffic problems ahead. Did not have to change DVD etc at all.

I also had 13.1 software loaded onto my Car and the navigation lady speaks more words like Major road, minor road etc. Much easier to follow now.
[snapback]42557[/snapback]
What does "dynamically re-route" imply? Did the iDrive itself warn you about the upcoming traffic jam, or did you have to go into the TMC traffic warning list to find the traffic warning applicable for the road you were driving on?
[snapback]42909[/snapback]
[/quote]

The way it works is that you can eithr go and look at the TMC menu and you can see all the reported traffic problems for all roads in UK including junction numbers etc. However if you are using the SatNAV to guide you and there is a traffic jam further along your planned route, then Idrive will inform you automatically of the traffic jam and dynamically re-route you with an alternative route.

My Car was in dealer for number of days as unfortunately it needed a new automatic gearbox after 13,000 mile and the software upgrade was done whilst it was there.. I cannot comment on how long it should take etc..
[snapback]42917[/snapback]
[/quote]

Karm,
how can you "tell" TMC is ON ?? I am having second thoughts now about wether the dealer has actually activated mine. They did do the 13.1 update but so far TMC has not cut in at all and I can see nothing in the display to see it is on.

If I go to the menu I-menu > traffic information, I can see "TMC AUTO" is ticked as ON and under that are the names of a few radio stations. If i then go back to the idrive front screen and select "Navigation > Traffic Information" the screen simply states something like "No reception available" or some message like that.

what do you see when TMC is ON on the above screens? can you post any pics? I have a feeling I'll need to pop into the dealers again.

thanks
Old 10-10-2004, 04:15 AM
Senior Members

If it says "no reception available" thn its not activated. Thats what mine says and TMC does not work.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Oct 10 2004, 06:15 AM
If it says "no reception available" thn its not activated. Thats what mine says and TMC does not work.
[snapback]43161[/snapback]
thats what i figured.

Karm, can you ask your dealer what they (or any other dealer) needs todo to activate TMC? maybe they needed to recode the nav computer or something? I can forsee my dealer claiming its not possible so it would be useful to have the info handy.

Also what DVD version do you have? Last time I spoke to my dealer they were positive TMC for BusNav was not available until at least the 2005-1 DVD was released.

looking forward to your reply.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Oct 10 2004, 09:12 AM
[quote name='E60525d' date='Oct 10 2004, 06:15 AM']If it says "no reception available" thn its not activated. Thats what mine says and TMC does not work.
[snapback]43161[/snapback]
thats what i figured.

Karm, can you ask your dealer what they (or any other dealer) needs todo to activate TMC? maybe they needed to recode the nav computer or something? I can forsee my dealer claiming its not possible so it would be useful to have the info handy.

Also what DVD version do you have? Last time I spoke to my dealer they were positive TMC for BusNav was not available until at least the 2005-1 DVD was released.

looking forward to your reply.
[snapback]43195[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi All,
My dealer is BMW Altwood Taplow. Tel number 01628 680300 and the engineer that sorted it was Graham. I am away from home at the moment but will definately post the pictures on Tuesday. On the Idrive you see TMC next to TP (if you have activated TP). Like I said before you see a list of all the traffic jams on the TMC display and also it does re-route very well dynamically. I definately have 13.1 software and the same DVD that i had in my car before the update to get TMC working.. The software to activate TMC was issued in UK to dealers as from week 36 and all new cars with Bus Nav that are built after week 36 have also got TMC activated. My car is sept 2003..
Old 10-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Members

Thumbs up

Hi

could you remind us What TMC stand for ? do you mean the system which allow you avoid traffic jam ? and by the way do you have road maps working on your Business Navigation ,,, becuase I can see only arrows for directing me to the destination and there is no roads map .. if you got it .. do you know whether I have to ungrade the whloe navigation system to see roads map or it is just a mattar of software upgrade ?
Old 10-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Oct 10 2004, 12:09 PM
If I go to the menu I-menu > traffic information, I can see "TMC AUTO" is ticked as ON and under that are the names of a few radio stations. If i then go back to the idrive front screen and select "Navigation > Traffic Information" the screen simply states something like "No reception available" or some message like that.
[snapback]43137[/snapback]
You have to select one of the shown radio stations by pressing the controler, or you have to select auto, by pressing the controler.
If there are no messages available, you will have a blank screen, so getting a message 'no receiption available' might be an error mnessage...

Originally Posted by Memotronic' date='Oct 10 2004, 07:03 PM
could you remind us What TMC stand for ? do you mean the system which allow you avoid traffic jam ?
[snapback]43228[/snapback]
TMC = traffic message channel. It is something like weatherband... what we don't have in Europe...
Radio stations send a data signal with the music, what carries RDS info AND traffic info. YOu have a menu where you can see all available messages, such as traffic jams, delays caused by construction, etc... Those message are getting checked by the nav system too. SO if there is a problem on your route you will get informed and you can tell the system to reroute...
Old 10-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Memotronic' date='Oct 10 2004, 08:03 PM
Hi

could you remind us What TMC stand for ? do you mean the system which allow you avoid traffic jam ? and by the way do you have road maps working on your Business Navigation ,,, becuase I can see only arrows for directing me to the destination and there is no roads map .. if you got it .. do you know whether I have to ungrade the whloe navigation system to see roads map or it is just a mattar of software upgrade ?
[snapback]43228[/snapback]
I would check the dealer as on my last visit in Dubai and Abu Dhabi (march this year) I've rented an E39 with navigation and that car had nice maps for the navigation system. Very similar to Business Navigation on E60 in appearance. Of course, the maps were not up to date: many times in Deira I was out of the map... This may be normal judging from the CRAZY rithm they build in Dubai.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:05 AM
Members

I picked up my 530i on Friday and it isn't able to use TMC, I get the no reception error.

I then rang up the dealer and asked about an upgrade, he then went and contacted BMW and came back with the answer that it is better to wait for version 15.0 which will be out in the next couple of months.

He said that the current software was very buggy and that it can affect the Navigation system and cause more problems than it fixes.

Am I being brushed off or is likely to be the case?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

I cant see version 15 coming out in the next few months as 13.2 has just come out.

My dealer is BMW Altwood Taplow
also where is this dealer located. My finding a new dealer as Williams Manchester are total clowns with very bad attitude.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Oct 10 2004, 11:09 AM

[snapback]43137[/snapback]
northernmonkey, this is quite odd, because TMC is only carried on Classic FM in the UK.

So if Classic FM is shown in the list, you should have TMC functions. I am really not sure why other stations would appear in that list.

Quick Reply: TMC now works with Business Navigation in UK