E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TMC now works with Business Navigation in UK

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just had TMC activated by my local BMW dealer for my 530D Business Navigation in UK. It works remarkbly well and does dynamically re-route when there are traffic problems ahead. Did not have to change DVD etc at all.

I also had 13.1 software loaded onto my Car and the navigation lady speaks more words like Major road, minor road etc. Much easier to follow now.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Members

My 530D is due in next week for the same piece of work to get TMC working. This is after a lengthy battle with BMWGB who were adament that it would not ever be available despite being featured in brochures etc.

I look forward to being re-routed........
Old 10-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by karm' date='Oct 8 2004, 08:54 AM
I have just had TMC activated by my local BMW dealer for my 530D Business Navigation in UK. It works remarkbly well and does dynamically re-route when there are traffic problems ahead. Did not have to change DVD etc at all.

I also had 13.1 software loaded onto my Car and the navigation lady speaks more words like Major road, minor road etc. Much easier to follow now.
[snapback]42557[/snapback]
any chance you can ask your dealer what they did to activate it? I just had 13.1 loaded but have not noticed tmc working at all.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Oct 8 2004, 11:35 AM
[quote name='karm' date='Oct 8 2004, 08:54 AM']I have just had TMC activated by my local BMW dealer for my 530D Business Navigation in UK. It works remarkbly well and does dynamically re-route when there are traffic problems ahead. Did not have to change DVD etc at all.

any chance you can ask your dealer what they did to activate it? I just had 13.1 loaded but have not noticed tmc working at all.
[snapback]42609[/snapback]
[/quote]

forget that post.

just been out to check the car, went into idrive > traffic information > tmc and you are correct it is now active, don't know HOW i missed that when i collected the car.

EXCELLENT TMC WITH BUS NAV AT LAST WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 10-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, this is great news. BTW how long did it take to get it activated.

Also, how often do you get re-routed? Do you have to take the new route or do you have a choice?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by E60525d' date='Oct 8 2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks, this is great news. BTW how long did it take to get it activated.

Also, how often do you get re-routed? Do you have to take the new route or do you have a choice?
[snapback]42642[/snapback]

It did not take very long to get activated.. it was done as part of the software refresh (13.1). I also got BFD activated as well as automatically folding mirrors when i lock the car (just have to keep the button pressed slightly longer - only dealer can activate this for cars with folding miirrirs).

My TMC -re-directed me straight out of the dealer as there was a traffic jam further down the road - impressive or what!! I was on M40 yesterday and there was a traffic jam just after Oxford, so it re-routed me via A40 .. very good.. as the A40 goes parrallel to the M40 and i could see the long traffic jam on the M40.

If you ignore the advise to re-route, it will automatically re-calculate and try and find another route... Really without TMC, the sat/nav was ok, but with.. its very impressive
Old 10-09-2004, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, i meant will the dealer have the car for a few hours to activate it or will it be done straight away?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by karm' date='Oct 8 2004, 04:54 PM

What does "dynamically re-route" imply? Did the iDrive itself warn you about the upcoming traffic jam, or did you have to go into the TMC traffic warning list to find the traffic warning applicable for the road you were driving on?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by paasan' date='Oct 9 2004, 05:31 AM
[quote name='karm' date='Oct 8 2004, 04:54 PM']I have just had TMC activated by my local BMW dealer for my 530D Business Navigation in UK. It works remarkbly well and does dynamically re-route when there are traffic problems ahead. Did not have to change DVD etc at all.

What does "dynamically re-route" imply? Did the iDrive itself warn you about the upcoming traffic jam, or did you have to go into the TMC traffic warning list to find the traffic warning applicable for the road you were driving on?
[snapback]42909[/snapback]
[/quote]

The way it works is that you can eithr go and look at the TMC menu and you can see all the reported traffic problems for all roads in UK including junction numbers etc. However if you are using the SatNAV to guide you and there is a traffic jam further along your planned route, then Idrive will inform you automatically of the traffic jam and dynamically re-route you with an alternative route.

My Car was in dealer for number of days as unfortunately it needed a new automatic gearbox after 13,000 mile and the software upgrade was done whilst it was there.. I cannot comment on how long it should take etc..
Old 10-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Members

My dealer has told me he needs the car in for 2 days to do the upgrade to enable TMC to be activated - I have it booked in for Wednesday and Thursday this week.

Quick Reply: TMC now works with Business Navigation in UK