E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jack2k5' post='944207' date='Jul 16 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi,
Just got back from Costco Tire Center. According to them, they think my case is normal. They re-lock my wheels and make sure that they are as tight as it should be. I also request for a tire pressure checking. Pressures seem normal. Both of them are 36 PSI (it should be at 35, but I guess it shouldn't matter much).
In my opinion, my steering wheel seems lighter after the two rear tires are installed. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that I felt the drift on the highway. I also wonder if different tires could have caused the different driving experience.
One other concern is that, my front two tires are Dunlop with regular air inside. The new rear tires are Michelin with nitrogen air inside. According to Costco, this shouldn't matter.
I will observe for a few more days and come back with new feedbacks. Thanks for all the tips.
hail: if you are switching to the same tires, please share with me on your driving experience after the tires are installed. In my opinion, you don't need to spend big bucks on Run-Flat.
Nitrogen or air ... IMHO no big deal ...

BUT, the front / rear tire pressures are nor recommended to be equal for most e60. Refer to the sticker on your doorpost ... the 4-6 psi difference may help sort out your drifting.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by jack2k5' post='944207' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi,

Just got back from Costco Tire Center. According to them, they think my case is normal. They re-lock my wheels and make sure that they are as tight as it should be. I also request for a tire pressure checking. Pressures seem normal. Both of them are 36 PSI (it should be at 35, but I guess it shouldn't matter much).

In my opinion, my steering wheel seems lighter after the two rear tires are installed. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that I felt the drift on the highway. I also wonder if different tires could have caused the different driving experience.

One other concern is that, my front two tires are Dunlop with regular air inside. The new rear tires are Michelin with nitrogen air inside. According to Costco, this shouldn't matter.

I will observe for a few more days and come back with new feedbacks. Thanks for all the tips.

hail: if you are switching to the same tires, please share with me on your driving experience after the tires are installed. In my opinion, you don't need to spend big bucks on Run-Flat.
Wait a minute, are you telling us your fronts are Dunlop and rears are Michelin?
Mixing two different model/company is a big no no.
Your front tires and rear tires have different groove/shape, different compounds, and most importanly different amount of traction.
That explains why you have a such behavior.

In order to get rid of this drifting issue, you need to replace your fronts to same as what you have in rear.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='944242' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:42 PM
Wait a minute, are you telling us your fronts are Dunlop and rears are Michelin?
Mixing two different model/company is a big no no.
Your front tires and rear tires have different groove/shape, different compounds, and most importanly different amount of traction.
That explains why you have a such behavior.

In order to get rid of this drifting issue, you need to replace your fronts to same as what you have in rear.

I have an identical issue. I'm running the sport package with 18's on a 535i and had to replace my rear run flats at 20K because one had a sidewall bubble. I went with non-run flats in the rear (Generals) from the Tire Rack and left the fronts alone. The result was drift on the freeway and oversteer in the corners to the point that the Traction Control system intervened. At first I thought it was the grooves in the freeway and new tires, but it happened on asphalt surfaces, too.

So I've been playing with the F/R pressure differential to see if I can get the rear sidewalls to stiffen up compared to the fronts, which are the OEM Dunlap runflats. I'm at +10 PSI and it helps, but doesn't eliminate the issue. I'm toying with dropping the pressure in the fronts a bit to see if I can bring it into balance. I'd really like to avoid replacing all 4 at such a low mileage just because of a bubble on one rear. But then again, I've heard the horror stories of how the run flats transmit too much impact force to the rims and cause them to bend/crack.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I've had the car all of a month now, but I will go nuts driving it like this.

Also, what non run flat recommendations would be recommended for reasonably 'spirited' driving (non-freeway)?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sonofep' post='944612' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:31 PM
I have an identical issue. I'm running the sport package with 18's on a 535i and had to replace my rear run flats at 20K because one had a sidewall bubble. I went with non-run flats in the rear (Generals) from the Tire Rack and left the fronts alone. The result was drift on the freeway and oversteer in the corners to the point that the Traction Control system intervened. At first I thought it was the grooves in the freeway and new tires, but it happened on asphalt surfaces, too.

So I've been playing with the F/R pressure differential to see if I can get the rear sidewalls to stiffen up compared to the fronts, which are the OEM Dunlap runflats. I'm at +10 PSI and it helps, but doesn't eliminate the issue. I'm toying with dropping the pressure in the fronts a bit to see if I can bring it into balance. I'd really like to avoid replacing all 4 at such a low mileage just because of a bubble on one rear. But then again, I've heard the horror stories of how the run flats transmit too much impact force to the rims and cause them to bend/crack.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I've had the car all of a month now, but I will go nuts driving it like this.

Also, what non run flat recommendations would be recommended for reasonably 'spirited' driving (non-freeway)?
As far as I know, each model of tire behaves differently. A drift is result of two different behaviors at the same time. An oversteer you are having is also a result from
General tires in the rear doesn't have as good traction as the fronts. Just think about driving like that when it's raining.
A lot of people are not informed enough regarding mixing tire brands/models including tire shops.
Unless, it's identical tires, you will face a traction problem. On dry, it may be not as significant however, when it's wet, your car will be noticably unstable.
It's simply due to your front and rear have different amount of traction.
Think as your wearing Nike running shoe on your left leg and dress shoe on your right leg.

Only solution is to replace other two tires.

PS Although you asked for tires, you already replaced to Generals and it will be cost effective to replace other two to Generals.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by uheenada' post='944629' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:58 PM
As far as I know, each model of tire behaves differently. A drift is result of two different behaviors at the same time. An oversteer you are having is also a result from
General tires in the rear doesn't have as good traction as the fronts. Just think about driving like that when it's raining.
A lot of people are not informed enough regarding mixing tire brands/models including tire shops.
Unless, it's identical tires, you will face a traction problem. On dry, it may be not as significant however, when it's wet, your car will be noticably unstable.
It's simply due to your front and rear have different amount of traction.
Think as your wearing Nike running shoe on your left leg and dress shoe on your right leg.

Only solution is to replace other two tires.

PS Although you asked for tires, you already replaced to Generals and it will be cost effective to replace other two to Generals.
This is definitely not a good news considering each tire costs over $300. But I thought your saying makes sense. Costco tire won't know the difference because they weren't used to drive our cars. The fact is that the car drives differently before and after the tires are changed. It is definitely not the road or wind issue.

Now, if I were to replace my two front tires, can anyone help me to identity the matching tires to my rear tire? My rear is using "Michelen Pilot Sport A/S plus ultra performance 275/35ZR18 95Y PS AS+". I also have another concern. How much of a difference will I felt after replacing the front two tires to these matching ones? If the tires I bought is not a suitable tire on my BMW, I would rather try talking to Costco for an exchange and get a good set of 4 matching tires at the end.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jack2k5' post='945016' date='Jul 17 2009, 08:49 AM
This is definitely not a good news considering each tire costs over $300. But I thought your saying makes sense. Costco tire won't know the difference because they weren't used to drive our cars. The fact is that the car drives differently before and after the tires are changed. It is definitely not the road or wind issue.

Now, if I were to replace my two front tires, can anyone help me to identity the matching tires to my rear tire? My rear is using "Michelen Pilot Sport A/S plus ultra performance 275/35ZR18 95Y PS AS+". I also have another concern. How much of a difference will I felt after replacing the front two tires to these matching ones? If the tires I bought is not a suitable tire on my BMW, I would rather try talking to Costco for an exchange and get a good set of 4 matching tires at the end.
You will just need to buy correct size(245/40/18 I believe) Michelen Pilot Sport A/S plus.
And it will be a day and night difference compare to what you driving now or with runflats!!!
The tires you bought is a top of the line all season tire from Michelen and they are always tops the consumer rivews, rating.
Check it out at tirerack.com
Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

The Pilot Sport A/S plus are real good tires, i just put a set on the E90 replacing BS RE050-II Runflats. They are extremely quiet.