E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I just changed a pair of new tires on my 2008 535i (after running for 20000 miles). I change these two tires at Costco and I am using Michelen Pilot Sport A/S plus ultra performance 275/35ZR18 95Y PS AS+ type of non-run flat tire.

After the tire change, I notice that when I drive at a high speed (around 70~80 mph), the car will drift on a very small scale on occasions. It feels like alignment issue but because it drift from right to left, left to right on a small scale, it might not be an alignment issue.

Do you have problems like this before? Is this normal for a new tire change? thanks for any inputs.

Jack
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

If it only drifts on a small scale at the speed you mentioned I wouldn't be too concerned. Road imperfections and wind resistance could be making you drift. The important thing is that you don't have any wheel vibrations or large scale drifts.

I usually get a complete alignment done whenever I replace the front tires.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka' post='943959' date='Jul 16 2009, 08:44 AM
If it only drifts on a small scale at the speed you mentioned I wouldn't be too concerned. Road imperfections and wind resistance could be making you drift. The important thing is that you don't have any wheel vibrations or large scale drifts.

I usually get a complete alignment done whenever I replace the front tires.
Thanks for your reply. Actually I thought of the wind factor too. That's why I wasn't concern too much for the last two days. However, when my wife told me yesterday that she felt the car is running differently, I got concerned. I will bring it in for Costco to look at it today. If necessary, I will also do the alignment.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

If you are running on grooved pavement and the tires are directional it may also be what's referred to as "Tramlining". Basically the tires are following the grooves in the road. It gives you a nice wiggle like driving over a steel bridge.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rictor' post='944152' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:41 PM
If you are running on grooved pavement and the tires are directional it may also be what's referred to as "Tramlining". Basically the tires are following the grooves in the road. It gives you a nice wiggle like driving over a steel bridge.

I have a question for all since we are on the subject, yesterday I had to replace a tire on my 06 530 ( the Bridgestone RFTs) and the sucker is very expensive. I'm thinking of doing what the OP did and switching to Pilots. the question is, whats the trade off besides the ability to run on flat which I dont think is much of a plus.

thx
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by hail' post='944170' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:07 PM
I have a question for all since we are on the subject, yesterday I had to replace a tire on my 06 530 ( the Bridgestone RFTs) and the sucker is very expensive. I'm thinking of doing what the OP did and switching to Pilots. the question is, whats the trade off besides the ability to run on flat which I dont think is much of a plus.

thx
If you already have a compact spare and tire-change equipment in the trunk you are good to switch (all 4) tires to conventional tires. Even when buying the high-priced alternatives you'll be spending about $100+ per tire. And since you have ETM's and not TPMS the switchover is easy for most good tire shops to handle. If you don't, those necessary items are available at dealers or are sometimes sold by forum posters.

Even if you decide to buy locally, shop TireRack for options and price comparisons ... try the link in my signature for coupons, rebates, and additional discounts.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

tire shop told me "PLEASE get alignment no more than 500 miles on new tires..."

especially if you're spending the money on new tires $150-200 on alignment would not hurt
Old 07-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NoName545i' post='944186' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:30 PM
tire shop told me "PLEASE get alignment no more than 500 miles on new tires..."

especially if you're spending the money on new tires $150-200 on alignment would not hurt
+1 ... especially if your old tires showed any uneven tread wear.

BMWs are particularly sensitive to tire pressure.

Check the recommended tire pressure sticker on the driver side door jamb and confirm your tires are correctly inflated all around. Sometimes the tire installers wing it and the wrong tire inflation can make a big difference in how your car handles & drives.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='944187' date='Jul 16 2009, 01:33 PM
+1 ... especially if your old tires showed any uneven tread wear.

BMWs are particularly sensitive to tire pressure.

Check the recommended tire pressure sticker on the driver side door jamb and confirm your tires are correctly inflated all around. Sometimes the tire installers wing it and the wrong tire inflation can make a big difference in how your car handles & drives.
Very true even the Dealer always over inflates my tire to 40 PSI every time. I have mine at 32 psi front and 35 psi rear
Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Members

Hi,

Just got back from Costco Tire Center. According to them, they think my case is normal. They re-lock my wheels and make sure that they are as tight as it should be. I also request for a tire pressure checking. Pressures seem normal. Both of them are 36 PSI (it should be at 35, but I guess it shouldn't matter much).

In my opinion, my steering wheel seems lighter after the two rear tires are installed. Perhaps that's one of the reasons that I felt the drift on the highway. I also wonder if different tires could have caused the different driving experience.

One other concern is that, my front two tires are Dunlop with regular air inside. The new rear tires are Michelin with nitrogen air inside. According to Costco, this shouldn't matter.

I will observe for a few more days and come back with new feedbacks. Thanks for all the tips.

hail: if you are switching to the same tires, please share with me on your driving experience after the tires are installed. In my opinion, you don't need to spend big bucks on Run-Flat.

Quick Reply: Tire problem