E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire pressure more specific

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, in most of the new cars you can see the tire pressure for each wheel seperate (even a stupid French car has it).
Is there something coming out ?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 525D, auto, xenon, navsat pro, brown leather, pd, hifi, heated seats, sun-screens

Originally Posted by de_smet_h' date='Sep 13 2005, 07:46 AM
Hi, in most of the new cars you can see the tire pressure for each wheel seperate (even a stupid French car has it).
Is there something coming out ?
[snapback]169889[/snapback]
The pressure is actually calculated by means of the ABS sensors I think. Even if they give you a number, it will only be a theoretical approach.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Agree, there is no direct way to measure the exact pressure but they must know which wheel has the puncture and should be able to display it.

This is especially important since you cannot tell which tyre has the flat just by looking at them. This is equally frustrating when you g et a false RFT warning since you have to check every tyre to see if you are OK.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Members

In the US the E60 presently has the Flat Tire Monitor system, which is simpler and just tells you that one tire (somewhere) is low or has a flat. Starting next spring BMW will switch to a Tire Pressure Monitor for each wheel. I believe this is Federally mandated. It is more expensive, and apparently subject to more problems according to my service department. BMW used this type of monitor when the 7 series arrived in 2002, but soon changed due to complaints. I was told by a service advisor that the Tire Pressure monitors in each wheel are expensive, and often get lost when changing tires and wheels.

With todays high fuel prices and cost of tires, we should all be checking the tire pressures regularly anyway. The guages are pretty cheap insurance.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:01 PM
zen
Members

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Sep 13 2005, 05:16 PM
In the US the E60 presently has the Flat Tire Monitor system, which is simpler and just tells you that one tire (somewhere) is low or has a flat.? Starting next spring BMW will switch to a Tire Pressure Monitor for each wheel.? I believe this is Federally mandated. It is more expensive, and apparently subject to more problems according to my service department. BMW used this type of monitor when the 7 series arrived in 2002, but soon changed due to complaints.? I was told by a service advisor that the Tire Pressure monitors in each wheel are expensive, and often get lost when changing tires and wheels.

With todays high fuel prices and cost of tires, we should all be checking the tire pressures regularly anyway.? The guages are pretty cheap insurance.
[snapback]170181[/snapback]
Not expensive. Corvette's have had transmitters in the wheels to broadcast pressure since about 1989. Current BMW system uses the ABS system to monitor wheel revolutions. When one tire goes low that wheel's revolutions increase. When certain level ( I think it is 12%) is reached the monitor gives you the indication.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Sep 14 2005, 08:16 AM
In the US the E60 presently has the Flat Tire Monitor system, which is simpler and just tells you that one tire (somewhere) is low or has a flat.? Starting next spring BMW will switch to a Tire Pressure Monitor for each wheel.? I believe this is Federally mandated. It is more expensive, and apparently subject to more problems according to my service department. BMW used this type of monitor when the 7 series arrived in 2002, but soon changed due to complaints.? I was told by a service advisor that the Tire Pressure monitors in each wheel are expensive, and often get lost when changing tires and wheels.

With todays high fuel prices and cost of tires, we should all be checking the tire pressures regularly anyway.? The guages are pretty cheap insurance.
I think the older BMWs with tyre pressure monitor had sensors in each wheels, that's what they did in the E46. Frankly, I don't quite like that idea, I heard there was a shop who accidentaly threw away a customer's sensor together with the old wheels, and ended up had to pay around $600-$700 USD to get the new sensors for him.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Sep 14 2005, 02:16 AM
Starting next spring BMW will switch to a Tire Pressure Monitor for each wheel.?

Interesting to hear about the TPM introduced to the E60 next March.

If one is not sure, it's better to have high pressure in the tires than low.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

[quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

I think the older BMWs with tyre pressure monitor had sensors in each wheels, that's what they did in the E46. Frankly, I don't quite like that idea, I heard there was a shop who accidentaly threw away a customer's sensor together with the old wheels, and ended up had to pay around $600-$700 USD to get the new sensors for him.
[snapback]171556[/snapback]
[/quote]
Your right the older BMW's did have tire pressure monitors as a option.They had quite a bit of trouble with them that they didn't offer the option any more and came up with the FTM.
cheers
vern
Old 09-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Not sure if anyone has said up in an earlier post I just skimmed but I think BMW is adding the specific tire pressure monitoring system in MY06 March builds. I remember reading it somewhere.

Edit: Ok fine I re-read the thread... and yes someoen did say it...

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Sep 13 2005, 05:16 PM
Starting next spring BMW will switch to a Tire Pressure Monitor for each wheel.? I believe this is Federally mandated. It is more expensive, and apparently subject to more problems according to my service department. BMW used this type of monitor when the 7 series arrived in 2002, but soon changed due to complaints.? I was told by a service advisor that the Tire Pressure monitors in each wheel are expensive, and often get lost when changing tires and wheels.

Quick Reply: tire pressure more specific