E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire Pressure Monitor--Is the dealership correct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='320190' date='Aug 8 2006, 06:58 AM
Hi, after replacing my OEM 530i 17" wheels and tires with 19" #166 wheels, the tire pressure monitor (TPM) malfunction alert showed up.
I reinitialized the TPM function (as discussed in the owner's manual), but the malfunction light continues.

From earlier posts, a few people here stated that I needed to get new tire pressure monitors placed in the stems of the wheels.

I called the dealership, and they stated that the new 2007s do not reqiure monitors in the stems, and that the sensor is simply not picking up the new size of the tires. I told them about the comments made on this site, as well as the gray symbol on by TPM screen which implies that the monitors are not picking up any signals, but the dealership disagreed.

When I told them that I tried to reinitialize the TPM function with no success, they told me that they needed to reprogram my computer. They stated that the problem would get worse as I drove the car further.
Then, they stated that the car would take a minimum of $500 (US) to reprogram (4-5 hours minimum), and the entire expense would be mine. When I asked them about disengaging the monitor, they told me that federal law would prohibit it (as we discussed here, the federal law does not go into effect until 2008).

Is this true? It is hard to believe that every person who changes their wheels to a different size would need to pay an extra $500 to the dealership to reprogram everything.

Best regards,
Richard

From personnal experience---I just installed 20' iforged wheels on my wife's 07 530. I bought 4 new sensors and valves. (2 different parts). I only used the sensors because the there was no provision for the sensor to be mounted as a stock wheel (depends on wheel design). I had to strap the sensors to the inside of the wheel, not a big issue. Mounted and balance the wheels and tires, installed on the wheel and performed TPM reset through iDrive. Just a note!! You can reuse the orignal sensors that came on the car. I bought new sensors so i can switch back to the stock wheels and tires and back again.
Tire Pressure Monitor--Is the dealership correct?-cars_021.jpg
Old 09-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by h22wgn' post='322370' date='Aug 14 2006, 01:58 AM
From personnal experience---I just installed 20' iforged wheels on my wife's 07 530. I bought 4 new sensors and valves. (2 different parts). I only used the sensors because the there was no provision for the sensor to be mounted as a stock wheel (depends on wheel design). I had to strap the sensors to the inside of the wheel, not a big issue. Mounted and balance the wheels and tires, installed on the wheel and performed TPM reset through iDrive. Just a note!! You can reuse the orignal sensors that came on the car. I bought new sensors so i can switch back to the stock wheels and tires and back again.
Attachment 22822
Nice wheels.

What size are those 20" wheels -fronts/rears?
What size are the tires -fronts/rears?

Thanks,
Frank