E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Tire Pressure Monitor--Is the dealership correct?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, after replacing my OEM 530i 17" wheels and tires with 19" #166 wheels, the tire pressure monitor (TPM) malfunction alert showed up.
I reinitialized the TPM function (as discussed in the owner's manual), but the malfunction light continues.

From earlier posts, a few people here stated that I needed to get new tire pressure monitors placed in the stems of the wheels.

I called the dealership, and they stated that the new 2007s do not reqiure monitors in the stems, and that the sensor is simply not picking up the new size of the tires. I told them about the comments made on this site, as well as the gray symbol on by TPM screen which implies that the monitors are not picking up any signals, but the dealership disagreed.

When I told them that I tried to reinitialize the TPM function with no success, they told me that they needed to reprogram my computer. They stated that the problem would get worse as I drove the car further.
Then, they stated that the car would take a minimum of $500 (US) to reprogram (4-5 hours minimum), and the entire expense would be mine. When I asked them about disengaging the monitor, they told me that federal law would prohibit it (as we discussed here, the federal law does not go into effect until 2008).

Is this true? It is hard to believe that every person who changes their wheels to a different size would need to pay an extra $500 to the dealership to reprogram everything.

Best regards,
Richard
Old 08-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know the exact year/build date, but I'm pretty sure that the opposite of what the dealer is saying is true for your 2007 car.

Earlier cars do not have pressure sensors but I think the newest ones do. My guess is that you need to get some sensors installed in your new wheels.

You probably already read this thread but just in case:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28460

It sounds like the dealer is not aware that they switched from sensorless to sensors...
Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='320203' date='Aug 8 2006, 10:35 AM
I don't know the exact year/build date, but I'm pretty sure that the opposite of what the dealer is saying is true for your 2007 car.

Earlier cars do not have pressure sensors but I think the newest ones do. My guess is that you need to get some sensors installed in your new wheels.

You probably already read this thread but just in case:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=28460

It sounds like the dealer is not aware that they switched from sensorless to sensors...
The car was manufactured in April 2006.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530I

If you have metal valve stems, you have sensors. Also if you don't have sensors it is listed as FTM on the idrive not TPM.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by izen2' post='320246' date='Aug 8 2006, 12:29 PM
If you have metal valve stems, you have sensors. Also if you don't have sensors it is listed as FTM on the idrive not TPM.
Are you sure about this issue?

Is there a magnetic connection to the metal stems? I cannot imagine that magnetics would work for a wheel spinning so quickly.

Where does your information come from?

If I listen to my dealer, I will have the computer reconfigured only to never work because I do not have metal stems. If I listen to the idea to get metal stems (without worrying about actual sensors), how do I know that this will solve the issue? You can imagine that getting many ideas from many people that are different (one being the dealer) can be frustrating.

Best regards,
Richard
Old 08-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='320319' date='Aug 8 2006, 04:40 PM
Are you sure about this issue?

Is there a magnetic connection to the metal stems? I cannot imagine that magnetics would work for a wheel spinning so quickly.

Where does your information come from?

If I listen to my dealer, I will have the computer reconfigured only to never work because I do not have metal stems. If I listen to the idea to get metal stems (without worrying about actual sensors), how do I know that this will solve the issue? You can imagine that getting many ideas from many people that are different (one being the dealer) can be frustrating.

Best regards,
Richard
What does your iDrive menu say? Does it say FTM or TPM?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

From what I understand, 2007 models have actual sensors mounted on the wheel. My 2007 525i have metal stems and I believe the sensors transmit the RF signal to indicated whether the pressure is good or not. When you got the 166 wheels, these sensors should be mounted on them before your tires is mounted on the wheel. The part number for these sensors is 36236771034, costs about $35 each.

I don't quite believe the part about the dealer saying that it's not taking in the new size, I mean 166 is the M5 wheels and unless they have a different part number for the sensors, I would think they are universal. I also doubt the dealer need to do a whole reprogram...

Unless you find someone who actually changes out the wheels and put the sensors in for a 07 model, the only real way to find out is to unmount 1 wheel, buy the sensor part and mount them, put it back on and try to reinitialize it on idrive. Does the TPM warning tells you which of the 4 wheels are low on pressure? If they are independently monitor, then what I suggest should tell you whether putting new sensors in would work or not.

Also, if you have replica 166, I am not sure if they will physically fit the sensors. I am curious to see how this part looks like myself (wonder if these sensors can be mounted on aftermarket wheels).... Good luck!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='320324' date='Aug 8 2006, 04:52 PM
What does your iDrive menu say? Does it say FTM or TPM?
TPM

The Idrive screen shows four tires in gray. According to my owner's manual, this means that the monitors are not picking up any tire sensors.

It is clearly a new model (the car was built in April). When the dealer started telling me that BMW has not used the old tire pressure sensors since 2004, I knew something was wrong (everyone here has commented that there are new sensor parts in the 2007 models).
It is sometimes amazing to me that a dealership that spends all of its time on one thing (BMWs) could know less than the average BMW fanatic. If I did not know my speciality, I would be fired, and I would not have any clients.

Thanks for any accurate help you can offer. I hope that I don't have to spend the $500 to get my computer recalibrated only to find out that I now need to get new sensors anyway.

Best regards,
Richard
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchan' post='320334' date='Aug 8 2006, 05:19 PM
From what I understand, 2007 models have actual sensors mounted on the wheel. My 2007 525i have metal stems and I believe the sensors transmit the RF signal to indicated whether the pressure is good or not. When you got the 166 wheels, these sensors should be mounted on them before your tires is mounted on the wheel. The part number for these sensors is 36236771034, costs about $35 each.

I don't quite believe the part about the dealer saying that it's not taking in the new size, I mean 166 is the M5 wheels and unless they have a different part number for the sensors, I would think they are universal. I also doubt the dealer need to do a whole reprogram...

Unless you find someone who actually changes out the wheels and put the sensors in for a 07 model, the only real way to find out is to unmount 1 wheel, buy the sensor part and mount them, put it back on and try to reinitialize it on idrive. Does the TPM warning tells you which of the 4 wheels are low on pressure? If they are independently monitor, then what I suggest should tell you whether putting new sensors in would work or not.

Also, if you have replica 166, I am not sure if they will physically fit the sensors. I am curious to see how this part looks like myself (wonder if these sensors can be mounted on aftermarket wheels).... Good luck!
They are replicas, and I don't want to be accused of violating a warranty or something similar. Thanks for the part number. Assuming that part number represents the metal stem, the dealer should now believe that it needs to do something other than reprogram the computer.

I had my tires mounted on my wheels at the seller's place of business (because they had a hunter machine), so your email should be a helpful warning for all similar replica shoppers that they need to consider this issue in advance.
Best regards,
Old 08-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Don't spend anything on computer recalibration! Just get some sensors mounted into your new wheels (and if BMW did the mounting, etc., then you shouldn't have to pay anything more than the cost of the new sensors.)

After that, you should be good to go...

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor--Is the dealership correct?