E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Timming Chain Noise on my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Masterspy
All BMW have timing chain.
All recent BMW's have timing chains. Some older models have belts.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by jm545i
All recent BMW's have timing chains. Some older models have belts.
The older model would be the e30 325e! I think that this was the only model with the timing belt.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by lpvaldez
Hey guys i did a search and was not able to find anything regarding my problem.

I have a 2004 545i with close to 100k miles , recethly I noticed a small rattling noise coming from the area of the timming chain. My first guess was a timming chain tensioner. The noise is not too loud sounds like a little metal rattling. I notice it gets louder once the car is in gear once I put it back on neutral its not that loud. I dont have any power loss or feel the car weird except for that noise.

Any guidance will be nice

Thanks
It could also be the AC idler pulley. Try turning on the AC to see if the noise stops.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i, Premium Package, Navigation, 6-speed manual. Mods include: M5 rear bumper, custom exhaust with quad tips, M5 wheels, M5 steering wheel & shift knob, MTech front bumper and rocker panels , LED tail lights, RD Sport short throw shifter, ESS Stage 2 supercharger system with air/water intercooler

I have used Stett Performance there in Plano. He helped trouble shoot some issues I was having with my engine mods. I though he was fairly reasonable and he seems to know what he is doing.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Members

I have a 2004 545i with close to 100k miles , recethly I noticed a small rattling noise coming from the area of the timming chain. My first guess was a timming chain tensioner. The noise is not too loud sounds like a little metal rattling. I notice it gets louder once the car is in gear once I put it back on neutral its not that loud. I dont have any power loss or feel the car weird except for that noise.

Thanks
It could also be the AC idler pulley. Try turning on the AC to see if the noise stops.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Thanks
I had the exact same symtoms you are experiencing last year. My rattling got louder as I put it in gear then followed by a fairly high screeching sound. No difference in performance nor heating/cooling issues too. So I bought a very cheap mechanics stethoscope and discovered my symptoms to be a failed waterpump (bearings went bad). Removal and replacement was fairly easy and straightforward - I'd rate repair as 2.5/3 wrenches out of 5. If its any consolation my 545 had only 60k when this happened Good luck
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you could take your belt off and run the engine for a short bit to see if the noise goes away. if the sound goes away, then its one of your accessoris...water pump, alternator, ac, idler pulley, etc.
but dont run the engine longer than a 20-30 seconds, because the water pump is not flowing coolant throught the engine.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

Originally Posted by Whino
I have used Stett Performance there in Plano. He helped trouble shoot some issues I was having with my engine mods. I though he was fairly reasonable and he seems to know what he is doing.
Thanks i will def look him up to take my car this week
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 2001 325i

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I had the exact same symtoms you are experiencing last year. My rattling got louder as I put it in gear then followed by a fairly high screeching sound. No difference in performance nor heating/cooling issues too. So I bought a very cheap mechanics stethoscope and discovered my symptoms to be a failed waterpump (bearings went bad). Removal and replacement was fairly easy and straightforward - I'd rate repair as 2.5/3 wrenches out of 5. If its any consolation my 545 had only 60k when this happened Good luck

Perfect i will get one monday after all the snow we are getting here to check it out and hopefully get the reairs donde soon.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6 speed 92 535i 5 speed 88 325i auto

Originally Posted by mels545
is it possible to just change AC idler pulley without AC compressor? because mine does that sound when my AC is off

Quick Reply: Timming Chain Noise on my 545i