E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time to RETIRE, Suggestions Please 545 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the dealer is not going to replace my Dunlops for the wear in the rear of the car they say its normal and that I am driving too hard so I may agree, I think I may be able to get 2500 more miles from the rear before they become dangerous

My left front has a small bubble in the sidewall as well

So Should I retire with DUNLOPS again or go to a Pilot, Rosso Corso or Sport Contact?

There is a considerable price difference OEM are the most expensive, I like the tires, but I wouldnt mind a better ride quality, and noise reduction, oh and longer tire wear, these Dunlops have been the worst tire Iever had in terms of wear, it may very well be the car itself but regardless I need to make a chance soon before I start traveling soon o the road.

Im open for suggestions
Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

You will usually not have a choice. The dealer will replace it with whatever tires BMW tells them.

I too wanted other tires, namely the Michelin PS2's but it was a no go in my case and I ended up with Dunlops again (atleast not noisey anymore).
Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

He said the dealer wasn't going to replace them.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ziering545I' date='May 16 2005, 09:26 AM
Well the dealer is not going to replace my Dunlops for the wear in the rear of the car they say its normal and that I am driving too hard so I may agree, I think I may be able to get 2500 more miles from the rear before they become dangerous

So Should I retire with DUNLOPS again or go to a Pilot, Rosso Corso or Sport Contact?

There is a considerable price difference OEM are the most expensive, I like the tires, but I wouldnt mind a better ride quality, and noise reduction, oh and longer tire wear, these Dunlops have been the worst tire Iever had in terms of wear, it may very well be the car itself but regardless I need to make a chance soon before I start traveling soon o the road.

Im open for suggestions
[snapback]129172[/snapback]
================

Hi Ziering545I:

I am a Bridgestone man, but I tried some TOYO's Proxies 4's, and they are un real... they handle well, no road noise, a very smooth ride, and sticks to the road like glue in the rain! {that is as of now with approx: 3000 miles on them}

I was a skeptic at first about TOYO vs. Bridgestone, but now after five months without a doubt, these TOYO's are the best tire I ever own..plus the Proxies 4s has an extended side wall lip that slightly protrudes over the rim which suppose to let you scrub the tire, instead of the rim.

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley aka Presley348
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Contributors

I have ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. Still waiting on wheels so I don't have them on the car yet. They seem to be rated very high in the wet traction department. With so much rain here and a better price than the ContiSportContact 2's I picked the Eagle F1.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Members

Hi guys I am partial to the ContiSport they are a good value, these OEM Dunlops suck, too rough and expensive to repalce and terrible tire wear.

I am just concered that the car will not react as good with out OEm tires

BMW uses them for a reason it is all engineered to work that way and I hate to mess with it but for me to spend $3000 per year for them with the parts and labor is just not normal, bad enough fuel is crazy costing me about $6,000 per year so I cant accept this as normal.

Now the Toyo are those the top of the line or the FZ4?

I think their top tire is the T1 Proxes? I had the old ones on a car back in 1998 and the FZ4 and I hated them but that was a long time ago.

Anyone try Nitto Nt555? I think? I see them advertised on Renntech Mercedes Ads all the time, just curious.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 16 2005, 07:56 AM
You will usually not have a choice. The dealer will replace it with whatever tires BMW tells them.

I too wanted other tires, namely the Michelin PS2's but it was a no go in my case and I ended up with Dunlops again (atleast not noisey anymore).
[snapback]129184[/snapback]
Lomag,

I beg to differ. Wide World of Cars is giving me a set of PS2s as replacements for my Dunlops. It helped that BMW took forever to ship the Bridgestones, and when they did, only sent the rears! I'd been waiting two months to get the tires, and told my SA to tell BMW that I'd had it -- he went to bat for me and, well, I'm getting a set of PS2s later this week. Can't say I'm complaining ... !!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Contributors

I replaced my RFs with Eagle F1 GSD3s and after replacing two of those, I went another direction. They flatspotted too much for me. It took at least 5 or 6 miles of driving to warm them up before they smoothed out.

It's not a problem if you don't get right on the highway, but my office is 2 minutes from the highway, and the tires shook unbelievably for 3 or 4 miles. We replaced two that were out of round before I gave up.

I ended up with Dunlop SP9000s, which are okay, but not my other best choice. Goodyear would only replace with Goodyear or Dunlops, so it was my only choice.

Given my druthers, I'd have tried the Toyos or the Mich PS2s.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Presley348' date='May 16 2005, 08:05 PM
[quote name='Ziering545I' date='May 16 2005, 09:26 AM']Well the dealer is not going to replace my Dunlops for the wear in the rear of the car they say its normal and that I am driving too hard so I may agree, I think I may be able to get 2500 more miles from the rear before they become dangerous

Im open for suggestions
[snapback]129172[/snapback]
================

Hi Ziering545I:

I am a Bridgestone man, but I tried some TOYO's Proxies 4's, and they are un real... they handle well, no road noise, a very smooth ride, and sticks to the road like glue in the rain! {that is as of now with approx: 3000 miles on them}

I was a skeptic at first about TOYO vs. Bridgestone, but now after five months without a doubt, these TOYO's are the best tire I ever own..plus the Proxies 4s has an extended side wall lip that slightly protrudes over the rim which suppose to let you scrub the tire, instead of the rim.

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley aka Presley348
[snapback]129460[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wanted the Proxes 4 also, but they don't make anything wider than 255, so he could not have them on his 545i Sport, the rears are 275. I have sent an email to one of the reps that was at our track day about the availability of wider sizes. Will let you know what I find. He also had the new T1-R which replaces the T1-S. Very nice.