E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

For those of you with out spare tires...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

do you have the BMW mobility kit or the similar continental kit?
i installed a custom stereo in the trunk which takes away the spare tire
in my 15 yrs of driving, fortunately i don't have a blow out that requires me to change it to a spare
there have been slow leaks numerous time, but usually it's a slow leak and i can take it to the tire shop to fix at my leisure
i am praying murphy doesn't come to haunt me with a blow out...

i have 245/35/19 in fronts and 275/30/19 in the rears, and i worry about having a need for a spare tire. how likely does a sidewall blow out happens? i do see it occassionally on the street, but i heard from someone that happens more with steel rim with cover (since they can't dissipate heat as good as alloy rims)?

if sidewall blowout has a very low chance of happening, i would think a flat tire would usually occur with the nail still in the tire, that the leak will be slow and i can take my sweat time to get it fixed? does it happen to people that you have a big puncture, and you have to patch the hole on the spot (thus the mobility kit comes handy?)

i guess at this point, either get the mobility kit for some assurance, or take the chance of not having anything. dumb question, do you need to jack up the car and remove the rim to fix a wheel on the spot? just wonder if there's a need to keep the jack and tools since i don't have the spare tire...

any comment on this will be great, thanks.