E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is there a big performance/handling loss from 530i to 530xi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

The original poster asked about performance tradeoffs with a 530xi compared to a 530i. I don't think any of us has driven both cars hard in person to know, so here are some generalizations:

If the 530xi is 0.1 sec slower from 0-60, then that's about 1 car length slower in a drag race from a standing start.

If the 530xi is 160lb heavier than the 530i, then it should take longer to brake. How much longer I don't know, but do a braking test with a 530i, and then do the same test with a 530i PLUS a male passenger and you'll have the answer.

Every AWD program is different, and I'm not that familiar with the xDrive algorithm, but -
The 530xi should be less neutral up until the apex, but should be able to accelerate sooner coming out of the corner than the 530i. Which one is better depends on your driving style. Are you a 911 Carrera 2 kinda guy or a 911 Carrera 4 kinda guy?
I also assume you can't drift a 530xi. I've drifted my 545i in slippery conditions without DTS/DSC before, and it is SO FUN! (Some may not define "performance" as consisting of the ability to drift since its the slower way around the corner, but I like it )
Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I have driven both. My dealer gives me the 530Xi as a loaner when my car is in. The biggest difference is you can't get the same sport package with the Xi, so the feeling is less neutral and a lot slower. Since the original question was performance orientated, the Xi and the iS's are drastically different.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

First everyone keeps stating a .1 sec difference between the 530i and 530Xi. It's actaully .2 - .3 (depending on the source). I know that's minor but even BMW's figures state higher than .1 sec difference. And while added weight is another issue I think everyone is also forgetting that the more you add to the drive line the more parasitic loss you get so it's less efficient. If you were to put both on a dyno you would have less power at the wheels of an AWD vs a RWD. Take a look at the performance difference between the 525i and 525Xi and then compare the difference with the 530i and 530Xi. You'll notice the weaker engine has a greater difference than the sronger one. Also AWD (due to the parasitic loss) will have a lower MPG rating. AWD will have some advantages but like anything it's a trade off.

Also, comparing NASCAR (is that really racing?) and F1 and to ask why don't they have AWD is silly. The reason they don't have AWD is because the rules (in some cases) say they can't.

Bottom line if you think you need it or want it, only you can say.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Members

Some additional comments.
All WRC Rally cars are 4x4 wheel drive. They are the fastests cars on normal roads, both asphalt and gravel.
Acceleration difference (0-100 km/h) between 530i/530xi is with manual gearbox 0.3 s (6.5/6.8) and with steptronic 0.4 s (6.7-7.1) . For us Europeans that can opt for a diesel the situation is different. 530xd is faster than 530d. Acceleration figures are 530d 6,8 s and 530xd 6,5 s (manual) and both accelerate in 6,8 s with steptronic . With high torque the better traction of 4 wheel drive will overshadow the higher mass even when the runway is dry. On wet and slippery conditions the 4 wheel drive benefits ar naturally much bigger (even on cars with less torque such as 530i).
Old 01-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

I would love to see a braking, skid pad and slolom test with both cars, 530xi/530i, wet and dry same equipment.

Don't forget about stopping distance where everything else equal, a 5% weight penalty should mean at least a 5-8 ft stopping penalty 60-0, on dry roads, more on slippery....remember too ,the Xi rides 1" higher and doesn't look as good...

I have been driving rear drive BMWS in the intermountain west (many times to ski areas) in ID and UT for 9 years and now in the north east ice and snow for 6 years without ever having an issue. The key is STUDLESS Winter performance tires and you go anywhere and stop on anything. I personally would rather spend the X-tra money on other options like the V8 or sport vs AWD and fuel...

In any case the winter performance tires (mounted on tire rack knock-off wheels) are basically free...you are not wearing out your other summer tires or busting up your wheels, and should be on every car in winter areas.

My wife disagrees, she has a 330xi however, makes her feel secure...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

OK here is another question

If you put snow tires on the RWD - which you have to where I live in NE in the winter - but can use al season tires on an AWD - what is the performance difference

When it comes down to it - tires are the most important part of handling -
so are winter tires better than all season?
Is it worth the performance decrease for the winter months when you have nice days but still snows?

I doubt anyone changes tires depending on the weather for the day, but who knows there may be someone out there who does

If you need snow tires on an AWD then you probably need chains on a RWD to get around

Also just another opinion:
Having driven many cars in all types of weather - yes you can drive a RWD with snow tires in bad weather but you have to still be really ginger with the throttle compared to the AWD to get going - and a lot more careful when going - not that I am not careful in the xi - but you know what I mean
in bad weather a rwd with snows may be sufficent but not nearly as good as the awd

also i have driven the xi and the i back to back
my friend has a 530i non sport - and i noticed really no difference

witht the true sport package i have no idea
Old 01-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005.5 545i, Silver Grey, Dakota Black, Anthracite, Premium, Cold, Sport, L7, Nav, Fold Down Seats, Sunshades, Sirius. 2006 330i, Silver, Black, Natural Poplar, Sport, 6 speed, Cold, Premium 2002 330xi Black, Black, Premium, Cold, Premium Sound. (Sold) 1997 540i (sold) 1985 635i Euro (sold to family) 1985 535i (sold)

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='218892' date='Jan 3 2006, 11:44 PM
OK here is another question

If you put snow tires on the RWD - which you have to where I live in NE in the winter - but can use al season tires on an AWD - what is the performance difference

When it comes down to it - tires are the most important part of handling -
so are winter tires better than all season?
Is it worth the performance decrease for the winter months when you have nice days but still snows?

I doubt anyone changes tires depending on the weather for the day, but who knows there may be someone out there who does

If you need snow tires on an AWD then you probably need chains on a RWD to get around

Also just another opinion:
Having driven many cars in all types of weather - yes you can drive a RWD with snow tires in bad weather but you have to still be really ginger with the throttle compared to the AWD to get going - and a lot more careful when going - not that I am not careful in the xi - but you know what I mean
in bad weather a rwd with snows may be sufficent but not nearly as good as the awd

also i have driven the xi and the i back to back
my friend has a 530i non sport - and i noticed really no difference

witht the true sport package i have no idea
The newer performance winter tires (I use Blizzak LM22 I think) handle great on wet and dry roads. sort of like an all season but with an ice gripping tread design. In fact they ride much better than summer tires, especially in colder temps. The turn in is not quite as crisp, but I went down from 18 to 17" for the wnter tires.

You are right, take off on snow is not as quick, but very controllable with traction and stability control. One thing for sure, it will out stop and handle a car with all seasons in slick and that is more of a safety advantage for me than a quick take off. you are right, AWD will get going faster and may feel more secure but for me the trade off of cost, weight, complexity, ride height and performance for the 98% I don't need it is not worth it.

With Blizzak's I have never needed chains, even in deep snow. One time with my e39 540i on my way to Snowbird/Alta the park ranger did'nt want to let me go by w/o chains or AWD. I convinced him I made the requirments with RWD and snows and he let me go. I past several stuck 4X4s on the way up the canyon. I was sold on the tire is most important component in winter conditions from then on.