E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

The key word is built, why do you want to built? When you can buy, you will spend as much money on mods of the car, that could just give you M5.
m3 AND m5 is closest production cars that could be taking to the race track, without upgrading brakes and suspension.
As I said before it's not about built it's about a product from BMW, claiming Ultimate driving machine for all BMW production line. Well sorry to say it's not true, M-series is the one, but all other are just luxury saloon with bad steering, transmission and suspension feedback.
If you had owned M-seris car at least ones you would be understand where I'm coming. After 8 months break from M-series car, I shocked, what I had missed for this time. It was a bad decision to sell e46 M3.
I don't want to argue with you, just go and get one or do long test drive or become BMW CCA member, and you will be able to test those cars on track.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by crypto
Is this a post you made while depressed and drinking? I don't follow the point of it. There's different tiers of cars with different pros and cons.. not the least of which is cost. Why not just save up for a Gulfstream G650? Compared to the M5 .. it can get over the Atlantic ocean infinitely faster. I mean I tried in an M5 and it just sank -- what a piece of junk.

Want an E60 with AWD? Sorry M5 is not for you. Want to get more than 10MPG? M5 is not for you. Want to stay in a budget without getting one that's 6 years old.. probably not for you either. If you bought new or close to it .. the two cars are probably about $35,000 different in price. That's not an insignificant jump up in cost for most people. The list goes on..
how can you compare M5 to your car, when it's all wheel drive car, lacking any feed back. BMW should be shame to produce these car at all. These cars for soccer mom.
The difference in price is about 5-10K for used cars for same year and mileage. (550 vs M5). My car is not AWD.
After that post I can tell this person never drove M-series car in his life. Junk?! mmm......?
Really, do a test drive before typing a such absurd statement in internet.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

It seems to me time to sell E60, a bunch amateurs is buying these cars in now days.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Senior Members

M cars have there own feel to it no doubt about it, stiff steering, aggressive hard ride, you know when your in a M. I have driven all the M's... they are expensive and tough to maintain, but it is def worth the $$ if you can afford it.

This comment of these cars are made for soccer moms just baffled my mind. I have a 535xi with a M sport package, PROcede chip downpipes exhaust and with one push up on my cruise control I go to the highest map which turns my car into a 12 second 1/4 car, and my KW coilovers give me the handling similar to an M car. Although I don't have all the amenities of an M car (bigger brakes, prob nicer suspension, and V10 to

I can be dead even in any gear with one and probably real close through a track run.

While I bought my car used with 20,000 miles one owner black on black 6 speed for 35,000$ and put $6-8,000 into my car, for $42k my car looks JUST like a 550i or M5 and is just as fast and handles almost as well as an M5 ( I destroy 550i's)... I wouldn't refer to it as a soccer moms car either.

You must be real depressed with that 550i I agree... and I spent $42,000 all in for mine a M5 at the time with the same mileage and options would have been $65-70,000 used!

I'm not saying I wouldn't get the M5 but lets not act like a 535xi (61,000MSRP) or a 550i (prob 70k) is a soccer moms car. Its a BOSS car PERIOD. Maybe you live in some nose up neighborhood, but any car over 50,000$ is dam plenty for me.

If your going to spit facts by the way, make sure there accurate
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Members

I have owned two m3s, along with a twin turbo fox body mustang, lightning, turbo g35, 12 sec daily driven all motor civic, bluebird 200sx, and an exige 240 among other cars.

I'd rather build because I'm going to modify everything I own, 3 years as an aerospace and mechanical engineering major, I'm a tinkerer. I could build a supercharged 530i that would be as fast as a M5 with better fuel economy and WAY more torque WAY earlier for less than 35k including the cost if the car. Part of the fun of owning a car, and keep in mind you are on a forum where modifying things to the extreme is the norm, is building the car YOU want to drive.

If you want to buy a car already built and take it to the dealer for all your work a M is perfect for you. You said "no matter what I do" I couldn't make a 535i faster than an M5. It could be done for less than 8k. The 1M has the same engine as the 335 and 535. Throw in the fact that the M5 is in fact heavier than the 550 and other 5 series models, which you were way off on, you could actually build a car with less power that would handle better and be faster.

Nobody who truly wants a track car would by and use the E60. Hence it's non existence in the Motorsport world. An e30, e36, or e46 would be a much better platform to start from. If you want a factory built track car that's NA you should go buy a GT3 and not a four door sedan that weighs nearly 2 tons
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

Originally Posted by phlfly
how can you compare M5 to your car, when it's all wheel drive car, lacking any feed back. BMW should be shame to produce these car at all. These cars for soccer mom.
The difference in price is about 5-10K for used cars for same year and mileage. (550 vs M5). My car is not AWD.
After that post I can tell this person never drove M-series car in his life. Junk?! mmm......?
last I checked, bmw makes most of their money from these so called soccer mom cars. And did you consider following your own advice and test driving before you bought your soccer mom car?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

It seems to me time to sell E60, a bunch amateurs is buying these cars in now days.
you got that right!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should go to 4chan if you want to troll. If you're not trolling, then please take this emo shit elsewhere or get a tiny violin and start playing it.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iteachgolf
I have owned two m3s, along with a twin turbo fox body mustang, lightning, turbo g35, 12 sec daily driven all motor civic, bluebird 200sx, and an exige 240 among other cars.

I'd rather build because I'm going to modify everything I own, 3 years as an aerospace and mechanical engineering major, I'm a tinkerer. I could build a supercharged 530i that would be as fast as a M5 with better fuel economy and WAY more torque WAY earlier for less than 35k including the cost if the car. Part of the fun of owning a car, and keep in mind you are on a forum where modifying things to the extreme is the norm, is building the car YOU want to drive.

If you want to buy a car already built and take it to the dealer for all your work a M is perfect for you. You said "no matter what I do" I couldn't make a 535i faster than an M5. It could be done for less than 8k. The 1M has the same engine as the 335 and 535. Throw in the fact that the M5 is in fact heavier than the 550 and other 5 series models, which you were way off on, you could actually build a car with less power that would handle better and be faster.

Nobody who truly wants a track car would by and use the E60. Hence it's non existence in the Motorsport world. An e30, e36, or e46 would be a much better platform to start from. If you want a factory built track car that's NA you should go buy a GT3 and not a four door sedan that weighs nearly 2 tons
If you are really aerospace and mechanical engineer, then you should know, the heat will kill engine, without proper heat exchange. All these supercharge are not going away without leave bunch failures. All mods for engine is not good for BMW, because BMW engineers had spent a lot time to design a perfect balance in durability, longevity and power. Well by installing something was not designed, you are unbalancing this, so you have to do a lot testing to make it's right and in the correct position.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 AM
Senior Members

I'm just upset with valvetrain system I guess, it's a problem where no feedback from the engine, as soon as let go a gas pedal.
By doing something efficient, they broke attachments to the car.

Quick Reply: Test drive my friend's E60 M5 vs 550i