E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drive - 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my 'short list' includes the GS430, M45, 545i, and A8L (I know, it's bigger than the rest, but it's just fantastic and I've always loved the D3 A8L). I drove the 545i today and was pleasantly surprised.

Still my reservations on the appearance notwithstanding, this is definitely a drivers car. The interior is sparse and somewhat utilitarian. The leather is purposeful not luxurious, and even the wood treatment is somewhat sterile compared to its competition.

The drive, however, is where it shines, obviously. Acceleration is smooth and linear (by the way, the dealer said that the 550i won't be around for 18 months - is that true??) and quite impressive overall. My E500 Sport has more of a whiplash feel when the full torque kicks in - I prefer linear unless the whiplash is neck shattering like a 911 turbo.

The car feels LIGHT! It handles incredibly well, more like my Boxster S than my E500, which is something of a barge in the handling department. Anyone who can't figure out I-drive does not really have my respect - it's not that difficult, people. If you use a computer all day, why not learn a computer in your car?

I was impressed at how the traction control kicked in a bit late when I was giving some significant throttle through a corner - no lean in the car, by the way - rather than kick in immediately and overpower my slight purposeful slide.

Top of the list is the A8L, but this takes a close second. It's way more of a driving pleasure than any of the others, but the A8L also handles incredibly well and has an interior that beats anthing short of a Bentley. The interior and exterior of the 545i might keep me from getting one, but I will consider both strongly when the time comes, and hope to see one with a bourbon interior (that's the brown color, right?) as that's what I'm hoping to get - perhaps that will give a more luxurious appearance. Conversely, in the A8L, Saran Wrap looks luxurious as it's probably surrounded by a combination of alcantara, birdseye maple, and supple leathers.

It will be a tough decision, but the 545i is far higher in the list than I expected. if the exterior and interior were nicer, it would scream to the top of the list in a hurry, as I really appreciate a good drivers car - my Boxster S on short track days can have some competition with this little number tootling around town...
Old 08-17-2005, 03:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

If u add without replacing does that mean a name change

But ur right, on the mark about the Audi versus BMW - pretty much across the line. However, why not throw the 750iL in there since u r comparing with an A8? May give you both of what ur looking for. Just a thought.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:05 AM
Members

I too test drove the 545i but it was a back-to-back comparison with the M3. The 545 I drove had the works and more importantly, the Sport Package. It sounds like that's what you drove also. I agree with you about the handling . . . terrific! The Anti-Roll system worked great and the engine in that thing makes the same engine in my X5 4.4 look and feel weak! (I don't know why there is such a night/day difference betwix the two 4.4L engines?) Anyhow, the car was great. I also felt it handled a lot better than the M3, which was a surprise to me.

As for I-Drive, I agree with you too . . . not as hard as I expected. During the 30 minutes drive I learned how to use the system and was able to use the climate control, radio, CD and nav. So I too don't know what all the fuss is about. As for the bad reviews of I-Drive by authors of car rags, I bet they're the same people who cannot program their VCR's.

As for your choice between the A8 and 545i, I would pick the 545i or wait for the 550i. I'm not one for the bells, whistles, the bling around my cup holders (M, or the speakers around my ears (M45). My motivation when I buy a car is how it drives and I like the 545i. However, if my motivation is more bang for my buck . . . well A8 is the likely choice.

Whichever you choose, I wish you luck. However, I hope if you choose the A8, the lasting impression of your drive in the 545i won't com back to haunt you! Namaste!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

The one I drove did have the sport package, and if I go 545i, the sport package is most certainly a 'must'.

I didn't drive the 7-series for 2 reasons: 1) even with the 'remodel', I don't like the look of it - while the A8L is graceful in appearance, the 7 series just looks big, and I'm too young to drive a car that looks like an old guy should drive it (a la S class, too), and 2) they are too hot right now, as they spend very little time on the dealer lots, so no deals are to be had.

The dealer said the 550 is not available for 18 months - I said I thought it was November or December of this year (after reading this board) and he said 'no way, it's at least a year, probably 18 months'. Is that just a lie so they don't keep from selling 545i's?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 08:44 AM
The one I drove did have the sport package, and if I go 545i, the sport package is most certainly a 'must'.

I didn't drive the 7-series for 2 reasons: 1) even with the 'remodel', I don't like the look of it - while the A8L is graceful in appearance, the 7 series just looks big, and I'm too young to drive a car that looks like an old guy should drive it (a la S class, too), and 2) they are too hot right now, as they spend very little time on the dealer lots, so no deals are to be had.

The dealer said the 550 is not available for 18 months - I said I thought it was November or December of this year (after reading this board) and he said 'no way, it's at least a year, probably 18 months'.? Is that just a lie so they don't keep from selling 545i's?
[snapback]160232[/snapback]
Yep - it is a lie to get you to buy a 545. No shame.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:44 PM
The dealer said the 550 is not available for 18 months - I said I thought it was November or December of this year (after reading this board) and he said 'no way, it's at least a year, probably 18 months'.? Is that just a lie so they don't keep from selling 545i's?
[snapback]160232[/snapback]
One heck of a lie. I wouldn't consider this dealer if I were you.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Members

so get a new dealer, or just a new salesman? It might be 'dealer policy' to say that, as they did have a lot full of new 545i's...
Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 18 2005, 12:01 AM
so get a new dealer, or just a new salesman?? It might be 'dealer policy' to say that, as they did have a lot full of new 545i's...
[snapback]160256[/snapback]
Seems to me they're trying to clear old stock. Maybe you can work out a BIG DISCOUNT and get the 545 then? Otherwise insist on the 550 or get out of there fast.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Members

anyone have recommendations for a salesperson at Irvine BMW?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 09:34 AM
anyone have recommendations for a salesperson at Irvine BMW?
[snapback]160271[/snapback]
I'd personally steer clear of Irvine BMW as I was unable to work a deal there with any sales person. I found a great sales team at Century West BWM, but canot recall the name of my sales guy..