E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Terrible Interior Rattle from the Rear Cabin Area

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 04:10 AM

whats carboflo?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Jan 26 2005, 09:10 AM
whats carboflo?
[snapback]83182[/snapback]

A lubricant

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bullet...mp/B510704g.htmeals
Old 01-26-2005, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

http://www.bmwtis.com

Does anyone know the password for this site?
Old 01-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Senior Members

Turn up the radio.

I hate to be a smartass, but you could put your car in the shop 47 times and they won't be able to find and/or fix your rattle problems permanently.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Just to add another possibility, when I went in for my software update, I complained about a rattle coming from the rear seat area, passenger side. I too thought it was the rear seat or the parcel shelf, though I had usually just turned up the radio to hide it. After driving around w/ the tech, we actually narrowed it down to the front passenger seat, where two screws holding the headrest were found to be loose. He tightened them up and no more rattle...
Old 01-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

I noticed a rattle in the back, but only when it is really cold. Once the car interior heats up it tends to go away. I narrowed it to the rear seat armrest, when I put the armrest down it goes away faster. In my case I think it is because when it is very cold, plastic contracts and becomes hard, causing more noise when contacting other plastic.

I did not notice this on my MY02 530, but the armrest was made of leather, and didn't have any hard plastic drink holders, etc.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Members

I had the rattle as well - it originated in that rear shelf area. The stealer replaced a seat belt bracket and lined the back shelf area with foam - whola - no noises. Now my front doors creak---I applied silicone on the felt sections where the door meets the fram and all is quiet now.(this is temporary as the creaks come back when the slilcone wears off.)

I has similar creaking issues with my 2001 540. The chassis is so rigid
Old 01-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Guest_RAI_*

Here's what I have done. First, get somebody to ride in the back seat with you as you drive. It's the only way to identify where the rattle is coming from-- you just can't do it yourself while you're driving. This is absolutely critical. After I did this, I discovered that I had 2 places rattles were coming from. The first was at the black plastic latch to the rear armrest. Cured that with some felt applied to the latch. The second rattle (actually more of a "popping" sound) was coming from the plastic housing surround into which middle seat belt retracts, where this plastic surround meets the rear seat itself. It was rubbing there and causing a popping sound. The fix was to stuff some cloth material between the plastic surround and the rear seat. Good luck! With some effort you can fix the problem.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

umm never heard of ratleling before. So far knock on wood..no ratles in my car..just had a squeek issue once with my windows a few months after I bought the car. The delaer applied some kind of lubricants and so far (almost a year) no more ratles nor squeaks I think the E60 supposed to be more rigid compared to the old E39..so i don't know....
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually went in the back seat of my car and let me friend drive the car instead to try and locate the sound. To me it was the whole rear parcel shelf that made the rattling noises. Its worse when the car goes over bumps as we have a few bumpy rounds here.

Will have to take it to the dealer to do something with it when I'm in next for my oil service. Can't be bothered to take it in just for the noise as its just too inconvenient without a car for a day. Loan cars are difficult to get at my dealer. Will have to print this page out for the dealer when I go in next.

Quick Reply: Terrible Interior Rattle from the Rear Cabin Area