E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Term understanding...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depress the clutch = press the clutch pedal down = disengaging the clutch

engaging the clutch = releasing the clutch pedal

He isn't using the clutch on the upshift cause he doesn't have to - he's just letting the engine speed slow until it matches the transmission speed (wheel speed via the relevant cog) and popping it into gear.

It's faster than using the clutch and means he can keep the power on.

It's not as easy to pull of this trick on a downshift as you have to increase the engine speed - but it can be done.

However, there is little point because he is braking anyway - so as long as he is in the right gear when he needs to pull away all is well.

Oh and he is using engine breaking which helps to keep the brakes from overheating
Old 03-03-2006, 05:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='249132' date='Mar 3 2006, 06:23 AM
Double Declutching / Heal and Toe explained

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/healtoe.html

If you heal and toe right you don't need to use the clutch (try it next time you have a hire car).

"The DB9 is one of the first cars in the world to use a shift-by-wire automatic gearchange. The conventional PRNDL gear lever has been replaced by a system of buttons that select park, reverse, drive or neutral.

"It's easy to use and gets rid of the clutter associated with the automatic gear lever on the centre console," says David King.

Those choosing the ZF automatic can drive the car in full auto mode, or can change gear manually using the paddle shifts. The paddles are made from lightweight magnesium and are directly behind the steering wheel, at the 10-to-two position. They allow instant Touchtronic gearchanging."
[color=#FF0000]

I THINK the shift-by-wire technology means that the gearbox actually has a clutch (just like a manual) and not a torque convertor and that the gear changes are initiated electronically.

The 7 series gearbox is also 'shift-by-wire'.
Hmmm...that's more sequential that automatic. That's the exact difference he said there is between the 2 cars (vanquish and db9). I bet it has a toque converter just like any other automatic.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='249163' date='Mar 3 2006, 08:22 AM
Depress the clutch = press the clutch pedal down = disengaging the clutch

engaging the clutch = releasing the clutch pedal

He isn't using the clutch on the upshift cause he doesn't have to - he's just letting the engine speed slow until it matches the transmission speed (wheel speed via the relevant cog) and popping it into gear.

It's faster than using the clutch and means he can keep the power on.

It's not as easy to pull of this trick on a downshift as you have to increase the engine speed - but it can be done.

However, there is little point because he is braking anyway - so as long as he is in the right gear when he needs to pull away all is well.

Oh and he is using engine breaking which helps to keep the brakes from overheating
Regarding using or not the clutch a bit of advice to the manual owners: carefull when you decide to try to do that. You have to know what you're doing otherwise you could risk gearbox problems or pinion problems. I know what i'm talking about here. Also if you decide to try, do it gentle and ALWAYS keep an eye on the revs. Don't force it if it doesn't want to pop into the gear. Do it gently and when you see it "wants" to play then there is the aprropriate rpm level. Also try upshifting...downshifting without the clutch is way harder to achive if not impossible on normal gearboxes (not high performance ones) and then the risk of damaging smth greatly rises.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='249187' date='Mar 3 2006, 02:52 PM
Regarding using or not the clutch a bit of advice to the manual owners: carefull when you decide to try to do that. You have to know what you're doing otherwise you could risk gearbox problems or pinion problems. I know what i'm talking about here. Also if you decide to try, do it gentle and ALWAYS keep an eye on the revs. Don't force it if it doesn't want to pop into the gear. Do it gently and when you see it "wants" to play then there is the aprropriate rpm level. Also try upshifting...downshifting without the clutch is way harder to achive if not impossible on normal gearboxes (not high performance ones) and then the risk of damaging smth greatly rises.
Totally agree - thats why I suggested trying it next time you had a hire car I did it in my company car for which I was NOT responsible for maintenance costs

Technique for an upshift is simple.

1. With you foot on the gas at normal crusing speed push the stick very lightly toward neutral.
2. Slightly decrease the revs until you feel it wants to 'pop' out into neutral.
3. When your ready - pop it forward (that's the easy bit).
4. Ease of the gas and push the stick toward the gear of you choice
5. As you re-apply the revs you will 'feel' a point at which it seems happy to pop into gear.

Congrats - you are almost a rally driver - now try to do it as fast as the guy on the video.

It can be done on a downshift as well, but it's much easier to CRUNCH the gears.

Oh ... and heed the advice I found on this in a magazine:

"your girlfriend will not be as impressed by this as you believe"
Old 03-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='249042' date='Mar 2 2006, 09:43 PM
I was referring to the G35.

M35 =/= G35

I am not familiar with the transmission setup in the M.

Both the G35 and M35/45 rev matches... it was first intrucuded when the M 45 arrived and now its trickled down to the new G35s.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='249223' date='Mar 3 2006, 10:35 AM
Totally agree - thats why I suggested trying it next time you had a hire car I did it in my company car for which I was NOT responsible for maintenance costs

Technique for an upshift is simple.

1. With you foot on the gas at normal crusing speed push the stick very lightly toward neutral.
2. Slightly decrease the revs until you feel it wants to 'pop' out into neutral.
3. When your ready - pop it forward (that's the easy bit).
4. Ease of the gas and push the stick toward the gear of you choice
5. As you re-apply the revs you will 'feel' a point at which it seems happy to pop into gear.

Congrats - you are almost a rally driver - now try to do it as fast as the guy on the video.

It can be done on a downshift as well, but it's much easier to CRUNCH the gears.

Oh ... and heed the advice I found on this in a magazine:

"your girlfriend will not be as impressed by this as you believe"
Yeees...i was making those point for everyone else. You obvoiusly knew what you were talking.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Members

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=34...q=best+motoring
watch the japanese tip-toe
Old 03-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

I'm so unfamiliar with the heel and toe. (ball and edge'd be a better name for it ) It is quite difficult to blip the throttle and at the same time keep the pressure on the brake unvaried :S My shoe size is between 9-10 and I think the lenght between the gas and the brake pedals is too wide for heel and toe in the Citroen :S I can't even properly rock my right foot because there's no space :S

Double cluthing and rev matching are a piece of cake, however. I'd really love to learn how to heel and toe.. But not in this car.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: –

See what I mean?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fin535dA' post='251107' date='Mar 7 2006, 07:06 PM

See what I mean?
Your citroen seems like a good guinee pig. If it's still a problem...try to reposition the brake/throttle pedals. I mastered heal to toe a few years ago but it takes alot of practice.

Quick Reply: Term understanding...