E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Temp reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Lazarus rise up and walk!! 2005?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

Can you all tell me about how this idrive function is supposed to work (related to heat warnings). I imagine I can read it in my owners manual as well, but if someone can give a synopsis of what I might see I would love it.

I have been a little nervous because I had a reoccuring proplem with my previous e39 we did all kinds of work on the radiator, thermostat, etc before we finally tracked it down. Several times if I was sitting still or moving very slow (especially if I had the AC on) the temperature would start to creep up, but if I got moving (or as I learned even just took the car out of gear and kept the RPMs just a little higher) the temperature would drop back down to normal fairly quickly. It never got to the red and never did any damage. I have to admit with the new e60 because it this same thing happened I wouldnt know of the trend until it was high enough to set off some kind of warning light. In fact this week I was sitting in FL on a fairly warm day with the AC cranking and I was sitting in a parking lot making some phone calls. In the back of my mind the old e39 came back to me, and I was thinking I wonder if this engine started running hot how I would know?

At what point would some kind of light come on to warn me, and if it did come on how close to damage would I be by then?

Also what exactly would the message say? Would it be a specific temperature warning or just a general "Check Engine" warning?

Anyone know an answer to any of these questions?

Ironically enough right after that episode of sitting there a while I had my first problem with this car. And I am wondering if it had anything to do with sitting there for a while with the car not moving. I was going to post this in a seperate new thread (and still might do so in order to generate more specific views and potential answers). After sitting there for probably 10 min of idling in the parking lot, I shut the car off and went into the convenience store to get something to drink. When I came out the car wouldnt start. I kept turning the ignition over and the engine would fire up and immediately die. I tried it several times with the same result. Even let it sit for a few minutes and tried again the same thing. I was just a few miles from a auto shop that a guy I know owns, and I only had a few minutes before it closed. So since I didnt have any kind of warning message, I fired it up and kept my foot on the gas enough to keep it at a high idle, put it in gear and drove away. Once I got to my buddies place I turned it off. It never did it again, and has been fine since, but I am worried about what caused it in the first place.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Turboe, I would post a new thread in regards to your query as opposed to asking your question in this 4 year old thread.

Originally Posted by Turboe' post='825850' date='Mar 24 2009, 09:48 PM
Can you all tell me about how this idrive function is supposed to work (related to heat warnings). I imagine I can read it in my owners manual as well, but if someone can give a synopsis of what I might see I would love it.

I have been a little nervous because I had a reoccuring proplem with my previous e39 we did all kinds of work on the radiator, thermostat, etc before we finally tracked it down. Several times if I was sitting still or moving very slow (especially if I had the AC on) the temperature would start to creep up, but if I got moving (or as I learned even just took the car out of gear and kept the RPMs just a little higher) the temperature would drop back down to normal fairly quickly. It never got to the red and never did any damage. I have to admit with the new e60 because it this same thing happened I wouldnt know of the trend until it was high enough to set off some kind of warning light. In fact this week I was sitting in FL on a fairly warm day with the AC cranking and I was sitting in a parking lot making some phone calls. In the back of my mind the old e39 came back to me, and I was thinking I wonder if this engine started running hot how I would know?

At what point would some kind of light come on to warn me, and if it did come on how close to damage would I be by then?

Also what exactly would the message say? Would it be a specific temperature warning or just a general "Check Engine" warning?

Anyone know an answer to any of these questions?

Ironically enough right after that episode of sitting there a while I had my first problem with this car. And I am wondering if it had anything to do with sitting there for a while with the car not moving. I was going to post this in a seperate new thread (and still might do so in order to generate more specific views and potential answers). After sitting there for probably 10 min of idling in the parking lot, I shut the car off and went into the convenience store to get something to drink. When I came out the car wouldnt start. I kept turning the ignition over and the engine would fire up and immediately die. I tried it several times with the same result. Even let it sit for a few minutes and tried again the same thing. I was just a few miles from a auto shop that a guy I know owns, and I only had a few minutes before it closed. So since I didnt have any kind of warning message, I fired it up and kept my foot on the gas enough to keep it at a high idle, put it in gear and drove away. Once I got to my buddies place I turned it off. It never did it again, and has been fine since, but I am worried about what caused it in the first place.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?