E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The tear down on my 535 has begun.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='524165' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:09 AM
It depends, what does the police report say? There's a number code on the report which usually assigns culpability/blame in an accident. I thought the report was in your favor.?

The police report is 100% in my favor, but I have never been through this process before. The kid did show up without an attorney and I allowed them to "wash" the complaint which basically lets him off the hook, but does not effect me in any negative way as far as insurance, etc. I truly felt bad for the kid as he made a terrible mistake and I did not want to make his life hell for years to come. I spoke to him for a little while afterwards and tried to give him some "fatherly" advice. I sincerely hope he learned a lesson, but only time will tell.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='524174' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:10 AM
The police report is 100% in my favor, but I have never been through this process before. The kid did show up without an attorney and I allowed them to "wash" the complaint which basically lets him off the hook, but does not effect me in any negative way as far as insurance, etc. I truly felt bad for the kid as he made a terrible mistake and I did not want to make his life hell for years to come. I spoke to him for a little while afterwards and tried to give him some "fatherly" advice. I sincerely hope he learned a lesson, but only time will tell.
That was "kind" of you to let the youthful offender get a minor break. As you know, the pain will come when his parents get their new insurance bill (esp NJ Insurance rates ). Meanwhile you are paying for, but not getting benefit of, the new BMW that is sitting in pieces all over the shop.

There should be a loss of consortium rule that applies to cars like it applies to spouses ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_of_consortium
Old 01-29-2008, 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='524186' date='Jan 29 2008, 09:35 AM
That was "kind" of you to let the youthful offender get a minor break. As you know, the pain will come when his parents get their new insurance bill (esp NJ Insurance rates ). Meanwhile you are paying for, but not getting benefit of, the new BMW that is sitting in pieces all over the shop.

There should be a loss of consortium rule that applies to cars like it applies to spouses ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_of_consortium

I really just wanted it to be over to be honest with you. I did feel bad for the kid, but the process was causing me anxiety and I simply did not have the time to proceed with a possible trial, etc.
Hopefully this karma thing that everyone talks about will find me.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

INSURANCE UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with AllState. I called to verify the "loss of use" with them. I am turning in my rental tomorrow and the shop is giving me a loaner until my car is repaired. I asked (AllState) if they were going to pay me for "loss of use" for as long as it takes to repair my car. They said that they would pay me $10/day!?!?! I asked why it would not be $30/day and they stated that their policy is $10/day. This seems absolutely ridiculous!!! Has anyone had this experience? Suggestions?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gumby' post='515663' date='Jan 9 2008, 06:51 PM
Amazing how much shee-ite gets packed into these cars. Only a few years ago it could have looked like:

Attachment 42709

Does Moore's law apply to BMWs?

Is that the new power plant for the F10?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='524187' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:43 AM
I really just wanted it to be over to be honest with you. I did feel bad for the kid, but the process was causing me anxiety and I simply did not have the time to proceed with a possible trial, etc.
Hopefully this karma thing that everyone talks about will find me.
You did the right thing. While he made a stupid mistake, accidents do happen. I can't see how tainting his driving record and forcing him to pay $5000 or more in inflated insurance premiums can be considered to be either justice or restitution. He's already paying fines, court costs, and deductibles, and is also without a car at the moment.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='524215' date='Jan 29 2008, 11:36 AM
INSURANCE UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with AllState. I called to verify the "loss of use" with them. I am turning in my rental tomorrow and the shop is giving me a loaner until my car is repaired. I asked (AllState) if they were going to pay me for "loss of use" for as long as it takes to repair my car. They said that they would pay me $10/day!?!?! I asked why it would not be $30/day and they stated that their policy is $10/day. This seems absolutely ridiculous!!! Has anyone had this experience? Suggestions?

Here's a suggestion....get rid of Allcrap and go with Geico. Allcrap has proven over and over that they are out to improve shareholder value by cost cutting wherever possible such as reimbursement for a rental car. You should be made "whole" in other words your current ride should be at the current level of what you are having repaired. If you agreed on your policy to a 10 dollar per day rental car thats what you will get.

Pull out your policy and read it. What did you sign up for when you took out your policy. Allscrap thrives on people who don't do their homework and accept what they think is a Big Name insurance company. In fact they are crap. Auto insurance is very competitive right now. There is no reason you need to continue with them. Shop around you don't need to be driving around a piece of $hit cobalt when you purchased a BMW.

Sorry you had to go through this but is a lesson learned. With the internet its very easy to shop auto insurance companies. You owe Allcrap no alliegance dump em like the piece of crap they are.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Members

Its nice to be rid of the court thing...because all you're concerned with is your lack of culpability in the accident.
Your policy would have a rental allowance; ie $10/day; that can be raised; mine was 30 and I raised it to $50/day. But as I said, you can keep the rental, lay out the $ and your insurance should get it back from the other carrier.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Well, I got out of the Chevy Cobalt and into..... a Chevy Impala. The shop manager gave me this Impala as a loaner until the repairs are finished. Significantly better than the Cobalt... at least this thing has an armrest! But boy do I miss my 535 !!!
Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Get rid off allstate and get Geico. I had allstate for 10 years and year after year they raped me....Paying ovr $3000.00 a year for two cars. The last few years after Geico and few other insurance carries came to NJ, they have been trying to say they reduced there rates, only after they got the super high premiums for the past 20 years...&uck them...I now have Geico and I pay $1260.00 a year for same coverages and better vehicles!!!

Quick Reply: The tear down on my 535 has begun.....