E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Taking the car in for a general service.. ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok im keeping my car so i want to take it in for a general service/tune-up. I just dont know what that entitles.. The car is asking for service but when i look through the iDrive it tells me it needs engine oil, which i changed 2k miles ago. I also need brake fluid. iDrive says I have "30k miles" on my spark plugs but the engine seems a little jerky. Anyways, should i take it in to the dealership or an indie shop? What should i have done to it? What should i expect to pay to have everything up to date? Calton told me about a local shop here in Long Island but he didnt give me exact details on where it is...BTW, the car has 84k miles.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Members

27 views and no response?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Your mileage is much higher than mine so I don't know if my experience is similar to yours or not. I brought my car in for an oil change on free maintenance program after one year but only a few thousand miles traveled. The dealer changed the oil but the service engine soon warning comes on when I start the car. I asked the SA who said that they changed the oil based upon the one year period, but that I should come back in a couple of months and they will do the complete maintenance service. It doesn't make complete sense to me. Can anyone explain? I have extended maintenance service that was purchased with the car by the original owner.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Get yourself a BMC air filter to replace your OEM filter. The BMC can be cleaned, reoiled and reused for the life of the vehicle and provides better airflow than OEM. If you are mechanically inclined, I would do the spark plugs yourself. If not take it to an Independent shop. PM Calton to get the name of the shop.

545 Spark Plug change DIY instructions. https://5series.net/forums/index.php?act=at...st&id=77848

You can reset the oil life via the iDrive yourself using these instructions. https://5series.net/forums/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=193584
Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i. Bluetooth upgrade, SS brake lines, iPod interface upgrade. Air intake kit, sport suspension, 20% tint. Other: 2001 Audi A4 Avant: S4 suspension, 20% tint, painted calipers, slotted rotors, iPod interface, custom grilles.

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='990893' date='Aug 27 2009, 08:30 PM
Ok im keeping my car so i want to take it in for a general service/tune-up. I just dont know what that entitles.. The car is asking for service but when i look through the iDrive it tells me it needs engine oil, which i changed 2k miles ago. I also need brake fluid. iDrive says I have "30k miles" on my spark plugs but the engine seems a little jerky. Anyways, should i take it in to the dealership or an indie shop? What should i have done to it? What should i expect to pay to have everything up to date? Calton told me about a local shop here in Long Island but he didnt give me exact details on where it is...BTW, the car has 84k miles.
I would consider changing your:
1. Oil filter/oil
2. Air filter
3. Cabin Filters
4. Spark Plugs (probably won't need to change wires)
5. Fuel filter

That's generally a quality tune-up in which you'll notice a difference in how it drives/idles.
Plan for at least $200. If you take it to a shop, plan for at least twice that. Everything should be easy to DIY. I'm not sure about the fuel filter on this car though, haven't done it yet on mine.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by augustrush42' post='991042' date='Aug 28 2009, 12:54 AM
27 views and no response?
How did you make out on your service? Many of the routine maintenance things are "routine" and easily accomplished with a good metric socket set and a couple of open end wrenches. Only the oil cartridge may require a socket larger than found in a home set - I found the two I use on my BMWs at Sears for less than $10.

Fortunately the e60 service reminders are reset w/o special things - I have a Peake plug-in to reset the service indicator for my '98 Z3.

It's always good to have a good BMW-experienced independent mechanic - some work is best accomplished on a lift in a warm dry garage!

To that point, I thought you'd appreciate this cartoon!
Attached Thumbnails Taking the car in for a general service..  ??-maxine_finds_an_honest_mechanic.jpg