Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Vehicle Tracking Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Curious George

Once the BMW Owners Circle lists a vehicle as manufactured, and Awaiting Transport, how long does it generally take before the car is delivered to the dealership ?

Is the website accurate regarding vehicle shipment status ?
Old 10-24-2003, 01:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the website is not accurate. Seems to be 1-1.5 weeks behind for USA orders. The car was showing in transit when I know it was at the BMW manufacturing plant here in the US. Took 4 days after I picked it up to change to "At BMW Center". Best info comes from the dealer.

I picked mine up about 2 weeks after it changed to 'awaiting transport' but it sat at the plant here 1 week awaiting the formal launch of the 545
Old 10-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Members

it was about a week behind for me also, i was told it takes about 3 weeks from shipment to delivery?

Tips regarding tracking and delivery of your car.

- Don?t worry if your order status is not correct on BMWUSA Owner?s circle. It is frequently inaccurate. Get a copy of the printed order with production number directly from your dealer. That should be the accurate master document.

- BMW Production status codes:
Interpretation of these Status codes, which are provided by Owner's circle tracking site or your dealer.

Code Meaning
0 Order deleted by BMWNA
17 Order not specified
37 Order is at BMWNA
87 Production week assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in date transmitted
102 Special order (no production week)
105 Order out of production period
111 Order accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for production
150 Production started
151 Body shop started
152 Paint shop started
153 Assembly started
155 Production completed
160 Released to distribution
168 AG stock
170 Waiting workshop
172 Planned for workshop
174 Workshop entry
176 Workshop complete
180 Waiting for export dispatch
181 Waiting for domestic dispatch
182 AG load number - released to carrier
190 Dispatched export BMWAG
191 Returned to BMWAG
193 Arrived at port of exit
194 Selected for shipment
195 Shipped from port of exit
198 Shipment arrival

- Tracking your order once shipped
If you have the VIN for your car (e.g. from the BMWUSA Owner's Circle web site), you can determine the ship it's on and related information from the Wallenius web site. In at least one case, this has given folks more accurate information than they have received from the BMW NA 1-800 phone number.

Here are the details:
1) Go to the Wallenius web site.
2) Select "Cargo Tracking" in the left frame.
3) Under "Track By Cargo", select "Auto".
4) In the "Cargo ID" field, enter the VIN and select "Track".
5) Wait patiently.

It will display, among other things, the vessel name, the voyage ID (with a link to the travel schedule), the ports of origin and destination, and a brief status history list (from Wallenius's perspective).
Enjoy!

- Alternative way (thanks Pan):
To track the progress of your ship you need to know its call sign. You get that from the US Coast Guard site PSIX . Once you have the call sign you can use the Oceanweather, Inc. site to track your ship on a map.

You can find the ship clicking on the part of the ocean that you ship should be traveling through. Then click on the circle marked ?Maritime Observations? and look for the call signs. If you are really obsessed you can get the Latitude and Longitude when the ship reported the sea conditions by clicking on the words ?Observation Table?

- Click for a map showing which ports server what states (U.S.A. only). Click for New Jersey's Auto Marine Terminal site.
All Canadian bound BMW's come through Halifax, NS.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:27 AM
SameBoat

How long does it take the ocean freighter to get from europe to US?
How long from US port to dealership ?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:47 AM
VANF

We recently took delivery of two 545's. Owner's Circle is delayed and very unreliable. Even with BMWUSA print outs or 800 number information, it is delayed by typically days or more. My 545 produced the first week of September did not deliver at the dealer until 10/24. It had delay of almost 2 weeks from completion to the port and almost a week from port to on ship. My brother's 545 was produced with same specs the second week of September, It had two days from completion to the port, then only a couple of days to on the ship. Both arrived fine in terms of quality and fit an finish. His arrived about two weeks earlier than mine.

The ships take typically about 13 to 16 days. Brother's car was on a ship that had two stops prior to Charleston, SC. it took 13 days. My ship was direct with no stops it took 16 days. The ship tracking on the ship web site takes about 3 or 4 days to show up on web site by vin number. Then it is typically very accurate.

It appears processing at the vehicle processing center is going very well now, at least on 545's. Both my brother's car and mine arrived at the dealership a couple of days a head of the owner's circle predicted delivery date.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

My car should be at the processing center by now, but when I enter my VIN into the Cargo ID field, it comes back with nothing. I was told by my dealer that it had been shipped as was scheduled to arrive yesterday. Any idea why this may not work for me. I am getting the VIN from the owner's circle website.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:27 AM
NES
Members

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='May 24 2005, 06:24 PM
My car should be at the processing center by now, but when I enter my VIN into the Cargo ID field, it comes back with nothing.? I was told by my dealer that it had been shipped as was scheduled to arrive yesterday.? Any idea why this may not work for me.? I am getting the VIN from the owner's circle website.
[snapback]132843[/snapback]
Im having the same issue... not patient when it comes to meeting my baby... please help!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NES' date='May 25 2005, 07:27 AM
[quote name='Aaron' date='May 24 2005, 06:24 PM']My car should be at the processing center by now, but when I enter my VIN into the Cargo ID field, it comes back with nothing.? I was told by my dealer that it had been shipped as was scheduled to arrive yesterday.? Any idea why this may not work for me.? I am getting the VIN from the owner's circle website.
[snapback]132843[/snapback]
Im having the same issue... not patient when it comes to meeting my baby... please help!
[snapback]133009[/snapback]
[/quote]

What week of production was yours?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Produced on May 2nd...what's that, week 18 production.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Is the production date the week it started or the week it finished being produced? Thanks, Jon.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Tracking Questions