E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Swirl Flaps - AUC Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since buying my 530d last week, I get the approved used car warranty. I've got it booked in for a few things (squeaky steering wheel, glow plug fault resulting in rough idle, car shaking wen idle and poor fob reception. Can I mention swirl flaps, I.e. Can they remove them if there there or do they claim it's not a problem and do it yourself. Surely it's preventative measure so I don't have to claim in the future. Car is a pre-LCI with 70k miles
Old 11-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by King5
Since buying my 530d last week, I get the approved used car warranty. I've got it booked in for a few things (squeaky steering wheel, glow plug fault resulting in rough idle, car shaking wen idle and poor fob reception. Can I mention swirl flaps, I.e. Can they remove them if there there or do they claim it's not a problem and do it yourself. Surely it's preventative measure so I don't have to claim in the future. Car is a pre-LCI with 70k miles
About swirl flaps: https://5series.net/forums/topic/704...diesel-engine/

How a faulty glow plug results in a rough idle?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Members

That was my concern. My impression was glow plugs don't do anything once the car was on but my initial complaint was "car violently shakes when ingear and idle on a cold morning" my initial thoughts was MAF sensor or something to that effect but they said there was a fault logged to do with the glow plug system and it would need the manifold removing to sort it. Whatever they do, we'll c if it does anything

With regard to swirl flaps, is it just a case they can fall into the engine? There's no symptoms?? But can I mention if they can put blanking plates in instead of swirl or would they deny there's even a problem??
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Ï have one faulty glow plug as well and my idle is good. The glow plugs just pre-heat the combustion chamber before starting the car and then they have absolutely nothing to do --> I'm sure they have nothing to do with the rough idle. It must be something else.

An authorised BMW dealer will "officially" deny the swirl flap problem. However, some dealers here in Finland will remove the swirl flaps if the customer wants to. You can ask, but I guess you need to take the car to the independent or do it by yourself.

A breaking swirl flap usually has no symptoms, it just breaks. I've read about cases, where the engine whistled before breaking (for few seconds only though). This must have been the result of a broken swirl flap that has been stucked in the intake manifold in a inclinated position for a moment before being sucked into engine.

- Antti -
Old 11-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Members

Hmmm I can ask and see what they say.

DOes anybody else with an auto box feel a small judder when put into D or R, i dont know if this is normal but SOMETIMES after this initial judder, the car rocks like somebody is rocking it... VERY STRANGE,

My rough idle is subtle but the other day with cruise control @ 30mph, the rev counter needle was NOT stable... it was bouncing around a bit... whats this? MAF sensor?????