E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

swirl flap removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
AJH
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anzafin
So you're saying you used to be a mechanic...
Never had a problem. You get a feel for certain materials and nut/bolt sizes. The higher precision parts like crank/small-end/big-end bearing shells, cam shaft,timing gear and the cylinder head need to be more exact. So there
Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
New Members

Have all diesel engines got these swirl flaps fitted??

I have just bought a 2008 520d M and am wondering if I need to consider them at all....
Old 07-20-2011, 03:19 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Jack148
Have all diesel engines got these swirl flaps fitted??

I have just bought a 2008 520d M and am wondering if I need to consider them at all....
I don't know which engine you have, but both they have swirl flaps.

N47 (newer):

M47N2 (older):

I'd guess that in a N47 intake manifold the swirl flaps wouldn't be a problem, but who knows. In the older M47N2 engine they are the same crap as in bigger engines.
The structure of the swirl flaps is completely different in a N47 intake manifold. A long axle runs through the whole manifold and hangs the swirl flaps. Even if the axle is pulled away, the swirl flaps hold their place as there are bushings holding them in.

- Antti -
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
I don't know which engine you have, but both they have swirl flaps.

N47 (newer):

M47N2 (older):

I'd guess that in a N47 intake manifold the swirl flaps wouldn't be a problem, but who knows. In the older M47N2 engine they are the same crap as in bigger engines.
The structure of the swirl flaps is completely different in a N47 intake manifold. A long axle runs through the whole manifold and hangs the swirl flaps. Even if the axle is pulled away, the swirl flaps hold their place as there are bushings holding them in.

- Antti -

Hello,

Any idea what kind of swirl flaps the M57/TU has?
Thank's in advance
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Cabrio freak
Hello,

Any idea what kind of swirl flaps the M57/TU has?
Thank's in advance
The bad ones. Read this thread (and the threads behind the links) carefully: https://5series.net/forums/topic/704..._1#entry787542

Feel free to ask any questions.

- Antti -
Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

I have removed mine over a year now. I used Antti's tread as a guide ( thanks again ). I had the car checked for both power and emission on a friends dino both before and after removal of flaps. reading was almost the same. So far no problem or silly faults as mentioned reacently so far.Everything works as it should be + no more worries about them being sucked in. and yes they are metal , covered in plastic(2005+) and these days no matter who and what you are , most nuts and bolts need to be torqued to be on the safe side. And I was an Air craft engineer.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:04 PM

My Ride: 530d

Originally Posted by JasonH
I removed my swirl flaps about 15k miles ago. No errors and DPF fine. I used DIS to check when the last regen was and it was 6,000 miles ago - so it hasn't needed one in that period!

If you look at when the swirl flaps are actually used - it's not much in cold climates - they stay wide open below air tempeatures of 15C for example.

Here's the full detail from BMW:

Swirl flap control DDE6.0

Swirl flaps ensure better swirl of the air. The result is better exhaust emissions.

The adjustable swirl flaps are located in the tangential channels of the intake system and are opened and closed according to the operating status of the engine. In the case of (electrically) controlled swirl flaps, the swirl-flap actuator opens the swirl flaps as the speed increases. Under the following conditions, the swirl flaps are closed:

* at low engine speeds and low injection volumes (map-controlled)

The swirl flaps generally remain open when

* the coolant temperature < 15 °C OR
* the intake air temperature < 15 °C

Function

The pressure converter connects the vacuum unit with the vacuum supply by means of hoses. When activated by the DDE control unit, the switchover valve switches vacuum to the vacuum unit. The vacuum unit actuates the control rod and the swirl flaps close. The control rod is up against the rear stop when the swirl flaps are open.
Troubleshooting

If a fault is detected in the control of the pressure converter, the following faults may be detected:

* 4130, Activation short circuit to positive
* 4141, Activation short circuit to earth
* 4152, Activation circuit break
* 4153, Excess temperature output stage

Effects of faults

If the swirl flaps stick in open position: Deterioration in exhaust gas characteristics in lower speed ranges otherwise no effect.

If the swirl flaps stick in closed position: Power loss of approx. 10 % at higher engine speeds.
I know it is an old post but on newer engenes N57 on my car 530d result of closed flaps (actuator arm broke off) has caused loss of 60 hp on high rpm. The curve stayed flat above 3500rpm. 😬😬