E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

swirl flap removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all
this question is as per title
whoever has removed them,have they got "increased emission" lamp on dash within weeks of removal?
im asking because on several forums im starting to see this as a regular occurance
is it just coincidence or not
can members who have removed them post their milage "error free" since removal
my blanking plates arrive this for installation,but if its going to throw up errors im going to get a new genuine intake manifold
thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Members

I never got a dash error but around a month after the swirl flaps were removed, the DPF got blocked and car went into limp mode. Don't know if the DPF would have failed anyway due to plenty of very short journeys in freezing cold weather. With the DPF failure and the resulting extra expense it took to get it sorted (removed and remapped in my case) I almost wondered if I should not have bothered with the swirl flaps in case their removal played a part in the DPF problem. But in the end keeping the swirl flaps would have given me sleepless nights so I guess I did the right thing. One garage I spoke with after the DPF problem said I should have left the swirl flaps in the car as they were put there by BMW for a reason

Swirl flaps get mentioned a lot on forums as this is where we generally read about problems. Since one does not wish to fall victim to a swirl flap related engine disaster, it's a wise move to get the swirl flaps addressed. How you do that may be important as I now believe they do play with the car's emissions and may change things which we don't fully understand or know about. A new manifold may be an even wiser move but who's to say the swirl flaps in a new manifold can't fail.

Car is fine now with swirl flaps removed and no DPF though it now smokes a touch on harder acceleration
Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Members

thanks for that answer and info
just out of curiosity,at what mileage did the dpf block?
mines on 80000 miles now,,and im thinking of returning the blanks and buying a genuine inlet manifold
i see the replacement manifold as just routine maintanance,,and realy its just about the same cost of 2 x michelin rft tyres for it
thanks again
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my swirl flaps about 15k miles ago. No errors and DPF fine. I used DIS to check when the last regen was and it was 6,000 miles ago - so it hasn't needed one in that period!

If you look at when the swirl flaps are actually used - it's not much in cold climates - they stay wide open below air tempeatures of 15C for example.

Here's the full detail from BMW:

Swirl flap control DDE6.0

Swirl flaps ensure better swirl of the air. The result is better exhaust emissions.

The adjustable swirl flaps are located in the tangential channels of the intake system and are opened and closed according to the operating status of the engine. In the case of (electrically) controlled swirl flaps, the swirl-flap actuator opens the swirl flaps as the speed increases. Under the following conditions, the swirl flaps are closed:

* at low engine speeds and low injection volumes (map-controlled)

The swirl flaps generally remain open when

* the coolant temperature < 15 °C OR
* the intake air temperature < 15 °C

Function

The pressure converter connects the vacuum unit with the vacuum supply by means of hoses. When activated by the DDE control unit, the switchover valve switches vacuum to the vacuum unit. The vacuum unit actuates the control rod and the swirl flaps close. The control rod is up against the rear stop when the swirl flaps are open.
Troubleshooting

If a fault is detected in the control of the pressure converter, the following faults may be detected:

* 4130, Activation short circuit to positive
* 4141, Activation short circuit to earth
* 4152, Activation circuit break
* 4153, Excess temperature output stage

Effects of faults

If the swirl flaps stick in open position: Deterioration in exhaust gas characteristics in lower speed ranges otherwise no effect.

If the swirl flaps stick in closed position: Power loss of approx. 10 % at higher engine speeds.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Members

DPF block was around 55k miles. Considering mine was relatively low mileage, perhaps I too should have just invested in a new manifold.

Flaps on a brand new manifold are much less likely to fail though not totally fail safe.

By getting a new manifold, I guess you'll significantly reduce swirl flap failure risk and also keep your car in an original state.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Nocrapplease

Personally I am surprised by the power loss of 10% and for this reason, and the reason they are fitted for a purpose I have no intention of fitting blanks, while I am sure we have seen many failures, it's also a great marketing tool for selling blanks, if persons are worried why not just block the vac pipe, no linkage moving no problem, if the problem was bad I am sure BMW would had issued a recall notice or the would had been forced, at the end if the day all things are fitted fir a reason, and you have back street garages recommending extreme measures, when BMW probably invested millions in this area, I know what choice I will be taken
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Members

I got errors after removal.

Turned out to be the air mass meter and shorly after that, the EGR valve quit. But it might just be coincidence
Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Members

JasonH,,,hello mate,how do i get to check when the last regen was done in DIS???
i replaced both my thermostats a week or two ago and mine has regen'd
twice in about 400 miles
definately regen'd as the water temp went up to about 95 degrees and smelt HOT HOT HOT(plus the exhaust tone change)
ive ordered a genuine replacement manifold today including vat and discount its going to cost £452
fitting myself this saturday
thanks to all for input
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Nocrapplease
Personally I am surprised by the power loss of 10% and for this reason, and the reason they are fitted for a purpose I have no intention of fitting blanks, while I am sure we have seen many failures, it's also a great marketing tool for selling blanks, if persons are worried why not just block the vac pipe, no linkage moving no problem, if the problem was bad I am sure BMW would had issued a recall notice or the would had been forced, at the end if the day all things are fitted fir a reason, and you have back street garages recommending extreme measures, when BMW probably invested millions in this area, I know what choice I will be taken
Read carefully. The WDS says that if they stick in closed position, there would be a 10% power loss. That's not the thing if they are removed.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Nocrapplease

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Read carefully. The WDS says that if they stick in closed position, there would be a 10% power loss. That's not the thing if they are removed.
I have seen the manifold on the bench many times, as they are spring return, I thought the closed position was closed by default ? and open when the vaccum is applied 10% power loss or not, I have no intrest personally in removing and fitting blanks, nor would I recommend it to anyone, just my own opinion

Quick Reply: swirl flap removal