E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

swirl flap problems and march's total BMW

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the swirl flap problem is at last in print.
in march's edition of Total BMW there is a section answering a question about E60 swirl flap problems, and total BMW who are not known to scare monger, said

its a known problem with BMW 3ltr diesel; engines, so much so that a UK company has made a stainless steel removal kit to blank the rod and flaps (including removal) it goes on to say...throw the flaps in the bin.....
thats pretty definitive for me and reinforces what the BMW tech's have been saying.

the magazine is running a how to remove them feature later on in the year....good news.
but our Anzafin got there first

heads up diesel boys........remove them before you regret it.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Nice one Dave.. i really sould start to buy totaly bmw, but they usualy dont have much coverage of the E60's so i think it might be a waist of money..

In regards to the flats i have warrenty with a company called warrenty 2000. Do you think something like the swirl flats should be coverd in this? Or should i get that tool kit out and get it done... Not to clued up on taking engines apart if im honest
Old 02-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Interesting indeed! They should have just called Anzafin for details and pics!

Anyway, I am waiting to receive the March issue, and I will take it with me to my service department next week.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 AM
Senior Members

BMW engineers don't design these components in for no reason. There must be some benefit for keeping these in? If nobody has noticed any performance drop off sure it must be emissions related?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='801103' date='Feb 25 2009, 02:53 PM
BMW engineers don't design these components in for no reason. There must be some benefit for keeping these in? If nobody has noticed any performance drop off sure it must be emissions related?
It IS emissions related.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Members

So what's the ridiculous price charged for the bungs then?

I could probably make them in about an hour on a lathe, not really rocket science but I bet its lunar pricing.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Members

If someone knows the diameter of the aperture, we could probably get a tap and tap the plastic out and fit something like this

http://radicalcustommotorcycleparts.com/fu...tcockbungs.aspx
Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='801103' date='Feb 25 2009, 07:53 AM

thats not quite true, history has shown us that loads of mistakes have been made by over engineering or just trying something to "better emmisions" etc.
look at runflats for example...BMW put those on as standard....and they are pants. just a cost measure.
swirl flaps are not needed...not in other engines and the cars run better without them.
the proofs in the eating....so to speak.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

the company that is making these is called PMW in Essex

www.pmwltd.co.uk

they also recomend turbo oil feed pipe and any breathers be replaced also.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='801069' date='Feb 25 2009, 05:43 AM
the swirl flap problem is at last in print.
in march's edition of Total BMW there is a section answering a question about E60 swirl flap problems, and total BMW who are not known to scare monger, said

its a known problem with BMW 3ltr diesel; engines, so much so that a UK company has made a stainless steel removal kit to blank the rod and flaps (including removal) it goes on to say...throw the flaps in the bin.....
thats pretty definitive for me and reinforces what the BMW tech's have been saying.

the magazine is running a how to remove them feature later on in the year....good news.
but our Anzafin got there first

heads up diesel boys........remove them before you regret it.

Forgive my ignorance when I say: "what the hell are the flaps for anyways?".....

Quick Reply: swirl flap problems and march's total BMW