E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Surrounding Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

First and foremost I am excited to have found such a great forum. It appears that there are a lot of really good and helpful people here.

Not too long ago after opening the sliding headliner, I noticed that there is quite a bit of wind noise coming from the sunroof area. I began a search on this site to learn that it is a well known problem on 5 series vehicles. Not only is it noisy, there is also the risk of the seal passing excessive amounts of water resulting in the possible flooding due to plugged drains of areas in the car and destroying electronic systems that would cost thousands to repair.

I went to Realoem.com to find the proper part number.The originel P/N is 54137117551. The upgraded P/N is 54107245551. While reading the part no. I saw a notice that stated that if the upgraded seal is installed on vehicles built prior to 2009 that the i system would have to be programmed to accommodate the anti trap program.

I went to my not so well liked stealer today and the SA stated that the computer system would have to be updated for a cost of $240.00. I asked if the system was upgraded and a module or modules did not program properly, who would be responsible answer was; Me.

My question: Has anyone out there replaced the seal without upgrading the system on a pre '09 5 series and not have anti trap problems and has anyone experienced any problems with computer upgrades.

'05 BMW 545i Sport Auto. Purchased 12/23 with 67K miles

In advance, thank you for any advice or experiences you have had.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Okay, I am a bit confused on this one because my seal is a little noisy and I will be ordering one and replacing it as well. Where I am confused is why would you need anything programmed? The seal is removed, then you have to clean the area well, and apply the new seal. Maybe I missed something in your post. Part number I see is 54137069632 which is number 8 on the list. This is the seal on the roof body. There is another seal that goes around the glass part and the sliding glass I believe has to be removed to replace this one. From what I've heard, the noisy seal is the more expensive one on the body.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Members

I did this not too long ago. "Coding" means that you are making sure the sun roof closes fully. Since you are replacing the seal, it affects the closed window position. There is diy here with good instructions if you search for it.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

"Okay I am a bit confused" applies to both of us. The part mumber you provided is for a Glass Roof which has two glass panels. My car has a single panel that requires the updated number as follows:

"07 CIRCUL.SLIDING/LIFTING ROOF COVER GASKET 1 12/2008 54137117551 ENDED. (old)
07 Surrounding seal L=2883 1 12/2008 54107245551 $30.68. (new)

Because the new product is a bit thicker it might cause the window system to activate the Anti Trap function and not close the window. When I purchased the new seal, the enclosed document stated that it is essential to comply with PUMA Measure AG20315810-01.( copy and paste)

I went to the local BMW dealer and the SA stated that I would have to have the vehicles programming updated. I am sure that that is not true. Once the new seal is installed, the following has to be done.

The above intializes the roof program so that it recognises the different current draws due to the thicker seal. If your vehicle is a 2009 or newer it does not requiere the programming.

I hope I am correct regarding the above. I will install the seal and do the programming. I will come back to this topic and let it be known what the result is.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Cricketts
First and foremost I am excited to have found such a great forum. It appears that there are a lot of really good and helpful people here.

Not too long ago after opening the sliding headliner, I noticed that there is quite a bit of wind noise coming from the sunroof area. I began a search on this site to learn that it is a well known problem on 5 series vehicles. Not only is it noisy, there is also the risk of the seal passing excessive amounts of water resulting in the possible flooding due to plugged drains of areas in the car and destroying electronic systems that would cost thousands to repair.

I went to Realoem.com to find the proper part number.The originel P/N is 54137117551. The upgraded P/N is 54107245551. While reading the part no. I saw a notice that stated that if the upgraded seal is installed on vehicles built prior to 2009 that the i system would have to be programmed to accommodate the anti trap program.

I went to my not so well liked stealer today and the SA stated that the computer system would have to be updated for a cost of $240.00. I asked if the system was upgraded and a module or modules did not program properly, who would be responsible answer was; Me.

My question: Has anyone out there replaced the seal without upgrading the system on a pre '09 5 series and not have anti trap problems and has anyone experienced any problems with computer upgrades.

'05 BMW 545i Sport Auto. Purchased 12/23 with 67K miles

In advance, thank you for any advice or experiences you have had.

Sorry but this is FUNNY. Listen just replace the seal and there is no need to reprogam anything. You can easily initialize the anti-trap function yourself and it is not done through their programming but initializations feature in ISTA/P. They need to send these SA's back to training. If you walk up to a salesman or an SA and ask them what LCI stands for and they don't know, talk to someone else that pays attention to detail and studies these cars. That's their job. An SA should be able to do programming IMO. For exactly $240 you can update your entire car yourself and program anything, diagnose anything at anytime you want.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Okay, I am a bit confused on this one because my seal is a little noisy and I will be ordering one and replacing it as well. Where I am confused is why would you need anything programmed? The seal is removed, then you have to clean the area well, and apply the new seal. Maybe I missed something in your post. Part number I see is 54137069632 which is number 8 on the list. This is the seal on the roof body. There is another seal that goes around the glass part and the sliding glass I believe has to be removed to replace this one. From what I've heard, the noisy seal is the more expensive one on the body.
You're spot on, there's nothing to be confused about. You're right.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
You're spot on, there's nothing to be confused about. You're right.
I'm not sure what the ISTA/P is...
A friend of mine changed his seal last year and he said it was easy. I asked him just the other day and he told me the first few times he closed it he had to help it a little. Guessing the seal must be thicker and adds more pressure. After a few closures he said all was ok and worked fine. Like I said, I will order mine in the next days and change it out next week but I wasn't aware of the video posted on how to adjust nor am I familiar with ISTA/P.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I'm not sure what the ISTA/P is...
A friend of mine changed his seal last year and he said it was easy. I asked him just the other day and he told me the first few times he closed it he had to help it a little. Guessing the seal must be thicker and adds more pressure. After a few closures he said all was ok and worked fine. Like I said, I will order mine in the next days and change it out next week but I wasn't aware of the video posted on how to adjust nor am I familiar with ISTA/P.
ISTA/P is what Progman or SSS is now called. Long discussion. No worries you'll probably never hear the term except at the dealership.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Members

I just recently did my own last weekend. I replaced the seal and did the re-initialization procedure as I found in several posts here. Seemed to work just fine with no coding. Atchung, can you please tell me exactly what to purchase and where to get the ISTA/P software so I can diag my own car?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Did this myself last week. Part cost me about $40 online. Key is to make sure all old seal is completely removed (much of it will stay stuck). I took a heat gun on low setting heated up a section at a time then it pealed off with ease. Afterward, I cleaned contact area with alcohol. Put new seal on and now the noise is virtually gone.

There are great threads here on how to do it:

Replacement: https://5series.net/forums/topic/753...page__hl__seal
Initialization: https://5series.net/forums/gallery/i...g-the-sunroof/

Note that when initilizing the car must be in accessory mode (or whatever it is called when you try to start w/o your foot on the brake). I.e. I get into my car and press the start button twice w/o depressing brake pedal and all of the instrument lights come on.

Quick Reply: Surrounding Seal