E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

surprised they ditched macpherson ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bmw really went against the grain with the new era-never thought I would see BMW not use macepherson strut setup suspension on the front of a bmw. Interesting to me as I do not know much about suspension but have not read many good things about the new type of suspension in general--not in the bmw but the setup as a general setup. Interesting as bmw's were known for handling that is a big risk!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond
Bmw really went against the grain with the new era-never thought I would see BMW not use macepherson strut setup suspension on the front of a bmw. Interesting to me as I do not know much about suspension but have not read many good things about the new type of suspension in general--not in the bmw but the setup as a general setup. Interesting as bmw's were known for handling that is a big risk!

I have no knowledge of the new suspension either but, changing things up isn't aways negative. I remember when synthetic oil was first introduced and anyone that used it was nuts.. Now days most sports / high performance cars use them..

Perhaps BMW engineers thought this was the way to go.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kzang
I have no knowledge of the new suspension either but, changing things up isn't aways negative. I remember when synthetic oil was first introduced and anyone that used it was nuts.. Now days most sports / high performance cars use them..

Perhaps BMW engineers thought this was the way to go.
No I agree, while I make this statement I also realize (as with an internal combustion engine for that matter) the technology is decades (or centuries in ICE case) and its surprising to some degree we still use the technology-

I guess to me there is only so much "handling" you can get for a street going vehicle and instead of coming up with new suspensions, honestly focusing on efficient engines and lightweight cars would be more in the future than any suspension upgrade will change.

The newer suspension and computers are cool that they can make the 4500 car feel like a 2000 pound trackster, yet you would not need the new suspension technology if you worked on the simnple concept of weight loss

Honestly how many cars do you think bmw would sell in a super light production 3 and 5 series weighing 2500 pounds and their 255 hp lightest I6 engine. Would get 50mpg and be a handling superstart with amazing accelration equal to that of the TT I6 and V8s that are coming out that have to battle to beat the weight.

If they get production up-materials price drops-its like someone has to make the first step but all carbon fiber bodies and aluminum should be standard on all bmw cars and upper end cars and cut out some fancy gadgets-They will appeal to buyers for other reasons but nonetheless will appeal-for IMO even better ways
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Members

I wouldnt mind a 2500 lb car as long as every other car weighs 2500 or less. Dont forget newtons law , other wise your gonna get splatterd in your make believe car
Old 09-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by leadfoot
I wouldnt mind a 2500 lb car as long as every other car weighs 2500 or less. Dont forget newtons law , other wise your gonna get splatterd in your make believe car
I honest dont think the extra weight in the gadgets and size of modern cars is all due to beefed up safety. You can make a 2500 pound car with strong materials as safe as heavier cars--but yes mv=mv is a bitch of a theory
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

No surprise they ditched it just surprised they took so long!!!