E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof drain clog - flood

Old 02-10-2014, 08:26 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by agofberg
I'm a member of the class action suit. If we are successful I was told I could recoup the repair cost as we'll a a significant amount for damages. We'll see.
The only member that benefits out of any class action lawsuits is the lawyer(s).
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by pcy
The only member that benefits out of any class action lawsuits is the lawyer(s).
truth.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by agofberg
You sound so skeptical. Do you like getting screwed by your car company?
If drain cleaning was a normal part of car maintenance it perhaps should be
Recommended in the manual and dealers should be aware of it.
When I purchased my 530i the dealer didn't say 'by the way, you can't place
Anything in the trunk that could leak' or don't leave your car on the rain.
I don't believe BMW would sell many car that way.
Yeah, I think we all thought you might be an attorney looking for some work. Sorry if you were offended but just as PCY says, the attorneys make all the money and the little guy like us get nothing, well except a big check like Kyle received. The attorney may tell you anything to get you on board but that does't mean that you would get anything. That would suck to have this happen but my drains have never been clogged. Not sure why because I have heard of others having a problem. That reminds me, I do still need to move those pest electronics stored under my spare tire though.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last class action lawsuit BMW settled was for rear floor failures in the E46 chassis (google it). The settlement forced BMW to replace the rear floor of any car that exhibited damage consistent with the design flaw.

I suspect the fact that the rear floor separating from the chassis of the car and thus causing a HUUUUUUGE compromise in the car's safety had something to do with the severity of the punishment.

Even if you were to win a class-action lawsuit like the one you're suggesting, it's not going to result in BMW replacing sunroof drains, cartridges, control units, etc. Sure, a flooded out floor sucks, but it doesn't have the potential for catastrophe like the E46 failures did. So the attorney gets a big payday for winning a case, and the rest of us get checks for thirty cents. Yay.

BMWs are great cars when they work. But honestly, 'durable German car' is a bit of an antiquated term at this point. What's sad is that it didn't used to be that way (find anyone driving an E30 325e and ask them about reliablity). Anyone who buys a BMW knows this, or should know it. Owning a modern BMW is like owning a boat; you put up with the constant maintenance because you love the car. Yes, sunroof drains get clogged and you should be mindful of it. Don't rely on your dealer or the manufacturer for everything. Be your OWN car advocate. Learn your car inside and out.

Everything in life is a compromise. If you want more of one thing, you HAVE to give up something for it. BMW offers you a superior driving experience, but they decided to sacrifice reliability for it. Yes, this apparently applies to sunroof drains too.

Assuming you own a home, it's likely the second most expensive purchase you'll ever make. Yet for some reason people put more time and thought into picking out a $1200 refrigerator than they do for a $60,000 car. You drop 60K on a car and you let someone else tell you how it should be treated? That's madness to me, sorry.

I highly recommend you never buy a BMW again. If you must drive a sporty luxury car, look into the new Lexus and Infiniti models. They're very, very good.

I'm likely to be in the car market this time next year, and I highly doubt I will be looking at BMW. I need a car for my wife that I can depend on day in and day out for the next five to seven years, and BMW just doesn't seem to make that any longer.

I'm sure there are those who disagree with me on some or all of my thoughts. Jimmy crack corn, and you know the rest.

cheers.

/rant.