E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunrof seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

I'm getting more niose now from the sunroof and the dealership wants $400 to replace the seal and adjust. The seal is not that expensive, so I was wondering if any DIYers have ever replaced their own seal. Alignment is explained on this forum, so if I can replace the seal, I might just save over $300 for other stuff. Thanks for looking...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

When I had my seal replaced/adjusted, they had to drop the headliner. For this reason alone, DIY would be a pain in the ass. Plus, if you get the seal or fitment wrong, you risk getting water leaks.

I would personally recommend either dealing with the wind noise, or bringing it to the dealer.

My 2 cents, but good luck with your quest.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Members

dropping the headliner!!!??? what a crock! all you need to do is remove the old seal and remove any remaining adhesive with some adhesive remover. install the new seal, trying to keep the top edge flush with the roof edge. just press the seal to ensure good adhesion of the double sided tape. if you want to know how to adjust the glass, i'll give you instructions. it should maybe take an hour to do.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 525

partnumber is 54 10 7 245 551 ~20 euro. i did it by myself easy.
after you need reinitialize sunroof antitrap function again.
PUMA AG20315810-01:

"Vehicles affected
E53 E60 E61 E65 E66
E70 E71 E83 E91
Due to the high number of complaints about leaks or wind noise on vehicles with a sunroof or panoramic roof, the seal around the roof flange has been modified. In the event of a complaint, vehicles with no foam rubber seal must have the new foam rubber seal fitted. New part number for sunroof (SHD): 54 10 7 245 551; for panoramic roof (PaDa): 54 10 7 199 533. To ensure that the seal functions to its optimum over the service life of the vehicle, the geometry of the seal has been optimised, with a different material now being used.
The result of these modifications is that the coding data for the sunroof or panoramic roof anti-trap mechanism MUST also be adjusted and updated when changing a seal. The reason for this adjustment is an altered force path in the closing mode when the new seal has been fitted. The altered closing forces are stored in the vehicle's updated I levels, as appropriate to the vehicle projects.

E60/E61: The measure is relevant for coding on vehicles up to the introduction into series production of I level 08-09-530. On vehicles with I level 08-09-530 as standard, no coding is necessary. The coding data is incorporated with ISTA/P P2.31.2 or PROGMAN V31.2."
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

Originally Posted by pauliehcfr
dropping the headliner!!!??? what a crock! all you need to do is remove the old seal and remove any remaining adhesive with some adhesive remover. install the new seal, trying to keep the top edge flush with the roof edge. just press the seal to ensure good adhesion of the double sided tape. if you want to know how to adjust the glass, i'll give you instructions. it should maybe take an hour to do.
So as a former electronics technician and someone with patience and a steady hand, this should not be too difficult? So does the replacement seal come with adhesive or should I purchase my own?

Originally Posted by olza
partnumber is 54 10 7 245 551 ~20 euro. i did it by myself easy.
after you need reinitialize sunroof antitrap function again.
PUMA AG20315810-01:

"Vehicles affected
E53 E60 E61 E65 E66
E70 E71 E83 E91
Due to the high number of complaints about leaks or wind noise on vehicles with a sunroof or panoramic roof, the seal around the roof flange has been modified. In the event of a complaint, vehicles with no foam rubber seal must have the new foam rubber seal fitted. New part number for sunroof (SHD): 54 10 7 245 551; for panoramic roof (PaDa): 54 10 7 199 533. To ensure that the seal functions to its optimum over the service life of the vehicle, the geometry of the seal has been optimised, with a different material now being used.
The result of these modifications is that the coding data for the sunroof or panoramic roof anti-trap mechanism MUST also be adjusted and updated when changing a seal. The reason for this adjustment is an altered force path in the closing mode when the new seal has been fitted. The altered closing forces are stored in the vehicle's updated I levels, as appropriate to the vehicle projects.

E60/E61: The measure is relevant for coding on vehicles up to the introduction into series production of I level 08-09-530. On vehicles with I level 08-09-530 as standard, no coding is necessary. The coding data is incorporated with ISTA/P P2.31.2 or PROGMAN V31.2."
You'd think this would be covered under the CPO warranty, but they said it wasn't. At any rate, is the reinitialization process the same as for someone who simply adjusted the sunroof with the old seal?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Members

It already has adhesive attached. it is very simple to replace. patience and steady hands are a plus. like i said. remove the old seal and adhesive. a heat gun on low setting is helpful, but results in some pretty raw fingers. when applying the new seal, start with the break at the back part of the roof in the center and press it into place little by little, ensuring that the top edge is flush with the top edge of the roof. then close the sunroof and verify that it is sitting slightly above the seal. you may not have to adjust the sunroof
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Contributors

IT seems simple but I rather just let the dealer do the work its only $400.00. I think its worth it. If there is any problem you can always bring it back.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I did it on both of my bimmers in one might. Actually, I spent like and hour and a half. Super easy. Just peel the old one away. Remove residue/glue by rolling your fingers over it. Clean the surface with some rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oil and grease. The open seam starts right in the middle towards the back of the moonroof. Like ozla said, you will have to reinitialize the roof by holding the switch in the open position for 20 seconds or so to let it go through the whole cycle. There should be a thread in the forum to do that. PM me if you still are uneasy about the DYI.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I did it on both of my bimmers in one might. Actually, I spent like and hour and a half. Super easy. Just peel the old one away. Remove residue/glue by rolling your fingers over it. Clean the surface with some rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oil and grease. The open seam starts right in the middle towards the back of the moonroof. Like ozla said, you will have to reinitialize the roof by holding the switch in the open position for 20 seconds or so to let it go through the whole cycle. There should be a thread in the forum to do that. PM me if you still are uneasy about the DYI.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. If I mess it up, no harm no foul - I can take it to the dealer to fix.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

great info here -- this forum rocks!

Quick Reply: Sunrof seal replacement