E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Sucks....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i | Sport Package | Auburn Interior | Silver Grey Metallic Exterior

So i'm driving along yesterday morning and i'm behind a 18 wheeler. Then I go to pass then I see some small debris fall off. I thought it wasn't anything big and I did hear some pebbles and maybe a louder thump hit my car and didn't really think anything of it and went my way to work. After work I thought to my self maybe I should check out if there was any damage due to the louder thump I did heard. To my surprise I get this wonderful gift....I was very upset to say the least(keeping this very G rated).

So my question to you guys how much a would it take to repair this nasty gash? Should I expect a body shop to replace the whole hood and how much would that cost? Should I just pay my 500 deductible to get it fixed? What a sad sad day.

Damn 18 wheelers.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Wow you lucky whatever it was didnt hit your windshield also.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
Wow you lucky whatever it was didnt hit your windshield also.

Actually hood is worse, the windshield I got replaced for around $450 a couple years ago. The hood on our cars is aluminum, which means they are not cheap to fix. Sorry to hear Bro, good luck
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the whole hood for that? You'll be pleasantly surprised I think. Take it to a shop and get an estimate. Nothing done well will be cheap but they should be able to work the dent out very nicely and match paint without too much trouble.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Actually hood is worse, the windshield I got replaced for around $450 a couple years ago. The hood on our cars is aluminum, which means they are not cheap to fix. Sorry to hear Bro, good luck
True, but going by the position on the hood Im saing hes lucky it didnt hit the windshield also.....wouldnt want to have to replace both the hood and windshield :thumbsdown:
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by jm545i
Replace the whole hood for that? You'll be pleasantly surprised I think. Take it to a shop and get an estimate. Nothing done well will be cheap but they should be able to work the dent out very nicely and match paint without too much trouble.
If the hood really is made of aluminum - yep. Aluminum is harder to manipulate compared to steel, so replacing the entire hood might be the only viable option.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jm545i
Not quite that easy, as I said, the hood is aluminum, can't really "work that dent out" since aluminum doesn't respond like steel - can't just pop the dent out. Ever wrinkled aluminum foil and tried to get it straight again? It'll never happen.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka
If the hood really is made of aluminum - yep. Aluminum is harder to manipulate compared to steel, so replacing the entire hood might be the only viable option.
Very much agree
Old 06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Not quite that easy, as I said, the hood is aluminum, can't really "work that dent out" since aluminum doesn't respond like steel - can't just pop the dent out. Ever wrinkled aluminum foil and tried to get it straight again? It'll never happen.
Point taken, and I guess we'll see, but I still maintain that it really just doesn't look that bad. I had my aluminum fenders worked on with PDR guys, and it looks like new - things were massaged into place just fine. This needs more than my fenders did obviously, but I wouldn't call that hood balled up aluminum foil either.

In any event, good luck to the OP, and please let us know what the body guys say.