5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   This Sucks.... (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/sucks-114513/)

yajimbo 06-21-2011 09:12 AM

So i'm driving along yesterday morning and i'm behind a 18 wheeler. Then I go to pass then I see some small debris fall off. I thought it wasn't anything big and I did hear some pebbles and maybe a louder thump hit my car and didn't really think anything of it and went my way to work. After work I thought to my self maybe I should check out if there was any damage due to the louder thump I did heard. To my surprise I get this wonderful gift....I was very upset to say the least(keeping this very G rated).

So my question to you guys how much a would it take to repair this nasty gash? Should I expect a body shop to replace the whole hood and how much would that cost? Should I just pay my 500 deductible to get it fixed? What a sad sad day.

Damn 18 wheelers. :fcuk:

https://5series.net/forums/uploads/1...035_982437.jpg

545IblupasdU 06-21-2011 09:25 AM

Wow you lucky whatever it was didnt hit your windshield also.

pjinca 06-21-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU (Post 1355153)
Wow you lucky whatever it was didnt hit your windshield also.

Actually hood is worse, the windshield I got replaced for around $450 a couple years ago. The hood on our cars is aluminum, which means they are not cheap to fix. Sorry to hear Bro, good luck :thumbsup:

jm545i 06-21-2011 09:36 AM

Replace the whole hood for that? You'll be pleasantly surprised I think. Take it to a shop and get an estimate. Nothing done well will be cheap but they should be able to work the dent out very nicely and match paint without too much trouble.

545IblupasdU 06-21-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1355156)
Actually hood is worse, the windshield I got replaced for around $450 a couple years ago. The hood on our cars is aluminum, which means they are not cheap to fix. Sorry to hear Bro, good luck :thumbsup:

True, but going by the position on the hood Im saing hes lucky it didnt hit the windshield also.....wouldnt want to have to replace both the hood and windshield :thumbsdown:

pukka 06-21-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jm545i (Post 1355157)
Replace the whole hood for that? You'll be pleasantly surprised I think. Take it to a shop and get an estimate. Nothing done well will be cheap but they should be able to work the dent out very nicely and match paint without too much trouble.

If the hood really is made of aluminum - yep. Aluminum is harder to manipulate compared to steel, so replacing the entire hood might be the only viable option.

pjinca 06-21-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by jm545i (Post 1355157)

Not quite that easy, as I said, the hood is aluminum, can't really "work that dent out" since aluminum doesn't respond like steel - can't just pop the dent out. Ever wrinkled aluminum foil and tried to get it straight again? It'll never happen. :thumbsup:

pjinca 06-21-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by pukka (Post 1355170)
If the hood really is made of aluminum - yep. Aluminum is harder to manipulate compared to steel, so replacing the entire hood might be the only viable option.

Very much agree

jm545i 06-21-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1355171)
Not quite that easy, as I said, the hood is aluminum, can't really "work that dent out" since aluminum doesn't respond like steel - can't just pop the dent out. Ever wrinkled aluminum foil and tried to get it straight again? It'll never happen. :thumbsup:

Point taken, and I guess we'll see, but I still maintain that it really just doesn't look that bad. I had my aluminum fenders worked on with PDR guys, and it looks like new - things were massaged into place just fine. This needs more than my fenders did obviously, but I wouldn't call that hood balled up aluminum foil either.

In any event, good luck to the OP, and please let us know what the body guys say.