E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stutters at 1500-2000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 10:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 520D 2009
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N47D20C

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
I've found this on mine when the EGR (or EGR pressure actuator) is playing up. Usually around that RPM, noticeable in 5th/6th at motorway speeds.

You can temporarily disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve and block it off to test. You will get an emissions warning that will need clearing.

ill check this out!
Old 07-14-2023, 11:35 AM
New Members

Default I found the problem

Turns out the battery was 14 years old and worn out even tho the car wasn’t hard to start…
And the mass air flow sensor was bad.

Anyway, now that things are talking well together, I’ve gotten a new problem.
it’s almost choking while idling, and only idling.
I’ve only got 1 fault code now which is 497D, is it related to that problem?

Last edited by donpb; 07-14-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spell / grammar fix
Old 07-14-2023, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Almost a whole month to figure out something that was pointed out in the beginning. Time equals money and should be respected especially when it's someone else's time.

Last edited by donpb; 07-14-2023 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
habbyguy (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 04:27 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Almost a whole month to figure out something that was pointed out in the beginning. Time equals money and should be respected especially when it's someone's else's time.
what a nice answer the battery part didn’t solve my main issue so I mean it wasn’t rly part of the problem now was it? Just turns out there where 2 problems stacked on top of another.
I mean if it helps I tested your theory first but it didn’t fix the stutter, so it doesn’t rly matter. And just to add that the car wasn’t even heavy started, just press the button and it startet straight away And as I mentioned the alternator was swaped right before Christmas last year
it was the mas air flow sensor that was causing my main problem, which was never mentioned here at all. And yeeh we did use a month to test out some stuff, also checked through the whole air system for any turbocharge leaks.
I live a life on the side, where I don’t work as a mechanic, so I don’t see the problem if I used a month on it or not?

now the new problem, do you have any meanings about that instead of how I manage my time?

Last edited by Chrisplz; 07-14-2023 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

For the person who has no experience on how to troubleshoot a foreign car the battery was the main issue. The codes were there because of the battery. You can't troubleshoot secondary issues until you find the main issue which was the battery. Your car will not run correctly if your DDE (your cars brain) is not communicating correctly. Your issue is still present because the code you have causes the same symptoms the MAP sensor was supposed to fix.

My response was for wasting my time not yours. But since you feel you have a handle on how to get issues fixed and know what's going on with a make I've worked on for many years not being a mechanic also, good luck.

Last edited by donpb; 07-14-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2023, 05:12 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
For the person who has no experience on how to troubleshoot a foreign car the battery was the main issue. The codes were there because of the battery. You can't troubleshoot secondary issues until you find the main issue which was the battery. Your car will not run correctly if your DDE (your cars brain) is not communicating correctly. Your issue is still present because the code you have causes the same symptoms the MAP sensor was supposed to fix.

My response was for wasting my time not yours. But since you feel you have a handle on how to get issues fixed and know what's going on with a make I've worked on for many years not being a mechanic also, good luck.
dude honestly, how in the world am I wasting your time. What if I had money issues and could get it fixed before now?
and no the battery wasn’t the main issue as when the car is running the alternator will generate enough power to get the sensors running. Anyway, I fix stuff when I got time, your more then welcome to spit out theory’s on your free time, and if I outrule them and don’t tell you it still doesn’t mean I’m wasting your time. Like what the hell.. it’s an online forum and your getting mad at me for not doing it fast enough, actually amazing.

it’s also summer so I could have gone in a Holliday..
but yeeh thx I think I’ll get my answers somewhere else then you, so I don’t waste your pressures time again whit a problem that isn’t even the main problem.

the main problem was that sensors wasn’t getting the right/no information at all because of the MAF sensor, not because of a weak battery. The battery was indeed causing other problems ofc, but not the one I was asking about. So what ever you say your answer wasn’t the right one, like I don’t get it. It wasn’t right so if anything your the one wasting my time fixing something that wasn’t the problem YEET, but soon to be.

but yeeh that’s for nothing(?) I guess expect annoying me for sloppy bitter answers.
Old 07-15-2023, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

497D relates to the MAF sensor but you stated it was replaced. You could have a vacuum leak or failing sensor(s) or something is clogging up.
Chrisplz (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 08:09 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
497D relates to the MAF sensor but you stated it was replaced. You could have a vacuum leak or failing sensor(s) or something is clogging up.
I see, checked for vacume leaks all ready, and they are good. My dad pointed out that it sounds like there is some resistance in the exsaust, like something ain’t opening it all the way up. So there might be a faulty sensor which is stoping a valve from opening. Question is where, from what I understand there is a sensor upend up for the turbo charge around or on the turbo. Might be this then?
Old 07-15-2023, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I do not know the depths or which specific sensors to check. Unlike Sean, I do not work on lots of BMWs. If you are able to view sensor live data, that would be the best route.

Your dad is saying what I previously stated. I stated something clogging up, which included valves (sticking).

Fuel brand usage can make a difference as well. If you happened to have used a poor brand, you can take care of that with a fuel additive such as Sea Foam or Techron.

Last edited by donpb; 07-15-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Chrisplz (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 11:00 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
I do not know the depths or which specific sensors to check. Unlike Sean, I do not work on lots of BMWs. If you are able to view sensor live data, that would be the best route.

Your dad is saying what I previously stated. I stated something clogging up, which included valves (sticking).

Fuel brand usage can make a difference as well. If you happened to have used a poor brand, you can take care of that with a fuel additive such as Sea Foam or Techron.
here in Norway there is only 3-4 different gass stations and I’m almost certain they all by the same type of diesel.
that being said, yeeh I couldn’t tell, but my dad heard something. I’ll see if I can get a sensor check and take it from there. But for now me and the car is going on a 2 week holy day with 100 European miles ahead of us. So who knows what will happen

man’s well since I ain’t fixing the problems fast enough from Sean I have to hope someone else can help 🤷🏻‍♂️

Quick Reply: Stutters at 1500-2000 RPM