E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stupid Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i AW - every option

I found the old discussion on this, but I dont think its enough to help with the decision.
Car is totally dead. Its the original battery and its juiced out. Had some contact this morning, but not enough to turn over so I didnt continue.

Should I jump it and take it in tomorrow to the dealer? I already bought the stupid battery for 272 bucks because not a SINGLE auto parts store in the area
had them! I keep reading about people buying Interstate, etc but I kid you not, not a single store has 'em.

I tried Auto Zone, PepBoys, Sears, SamsClub/Costco, some German shops, F'n KMart AND WalMart.
I ended up buckling down and buying from the stealer. I have the battery in my possession, but am CRAZY doubting the situation.

Some people say dont mess with it, others say just do it. Some are saying my codes will be all out of wack, some are saying not to sweat it.
Then I look at the battery compartent and the sh** looks like its wired like an explosive!

Someone just tell me - is it just not worth it to DIY? Or should I just F' it and knock it out tonight with my buddy, who LOVES to get his hands inside of Bimmers.

Situation just suuuuuuuuuucks.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

My car was still under warranty when the battery died, but it happened on a weekend, and I had a meeting first thing Monday morning, so I went to Batteries+ and picked one up for the E60. Replaced it and works like a charm.

The stealer charges you an arm and a leg for a battery.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='699406' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:27 PM
My car was still under warranty when the battery died, but it happened on a weekend, and I had a meeting first thing Monday morning, so I went to Batteries+ and picked one up for the E60. Replaced it and works like a charm.

The stealer charges you an arm and a leg for a battery.

I wasnt lucky enough to find one other than at the stealership. Any DIY instructions on here anywhere? Ive been searching...
Old 10-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by za3879' post='699409' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:29 PM
I wasnt lucky enough to find one other than at the stealership. Any DIY instructions on here anywhere? Ive been searching...
It's in the trunk, passenger-side. At the back, near the lights, pull the panel from the side. This should give you access to the battery. It's heavy, so be careful when you pull it out of the trunk (to avoid scratching your bumper etc).
Old 10-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by za3879' post='699398' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:23 PM
I found the old discussion on this, but I dont think its enough to help with the decision.
Car is totally dead. Its the original battery and its juiced out. Had some contact this morning, but not enough to turn over so I didnt continue.

Should I jump it and take it in tomorrow to the dealer? I already bought the stupid battery for 272 bucks because not a SINGLE auto parts store in the area
had them! I keep reading about people buying Interstate, etc but I kid you not, not a single store has 'em.

I tried Auto Zone, PepBoys, Sears, SamsClub/Costco, some German shops, F'n KMart AND WalMart.
I ended up buckling down and buying from the stealer. I have the battery in my possession, but am CRAZY doubting the situation.

Some people say dont mess with it, others say just do it. Some are saying my codes will be all out of wack, some are saying not to sweat it.
Then I look at the battery compartent and the sh** looks like its wired like an explosive!

Someone just tell me - is it just not worth it to DIY? Or should I just F' it and knock it out tonight with my buddy, who LOVES to get his hands inside of Bimmers.

Situation just suuuuuuuuuucks.
well you already DIY bought it, you might as well finish the job. Don't worry about the extra cables- just BE GENTLE. the positive has an explosive charge on it for when you crash the car. disconnect negative first, then positive, remove the battery, connect positive, then negative.

fwiw- batteries plus is the only way to go- your new battery from the dealer effectively has no warranty, because to honor it they have to plug the car in and make sure it was started at least once in the previous two weeks, for which they will charge you an hour of labor. That alone is enough to cover the price of the battery at batteries plus, and they have a no-questions asked warranty.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='699419' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:36 PM
It's in the trunk, passenger-side. At the back, near the lights, pull the panel from the side. This should give you access to the battery. It's heavy, so be careful when you pull it out of the trunk (to avoid scratching your bumper etc).

Any do's and donts in particular? And what stuff do i need to worry about once i power her up again?
Thanks for repling btw...
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by za3879' post='699424' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:39 PM
Any do's and donts in particular? And what stuff do i need to worry about once i power her up again?
Thanks for repling btw...
None that I recall. Just be careful with the cables, and ensure that you connect them to the proper terminals.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='699422' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:38 PM
well you already DIY bought it, you might as well finish the job. Don't worry about the extra cables- just BE GENTLE. the positive has an explosive charge on it for when you crash the car. disconnect negative first, then positive, remove the battery, connect positive, then negative.

fwiw- batteries plus is the only way to go- your new battery from the dealer effectively has no warranty, because to honor it they have to plug the car in and make sure it was started at least once in the previous two weeks, for which they will charge you an hour of labor. That alone is enough to cover the price of the battery at batteries plus, and they have a no-questions asked warranty.

Hmmm...you think I should return the battery to the dealer? And just jump the car and take it to a B+ place if i can find one locally?
There's zero power now in the car...

would the dealer even take it back?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by za3879' post='699437' date='Oct 21 2008, 07:56 PM
Hmmm...you think I should return the battery to the dealer? And just jump the car and take it to a B+ place if i can find one locally?
There's zero power now in the car...

would the dealer even take it back?
I sincerely doubt the dealer will take the battery back, and quite frankly, not to diss the guys at b+, but I wouldn't trust someone else to swap out my battery, just due to the IBS and pyrotechnics involved. It's either me or the dealer.

I'm assuming you have access to another car. Call the dealer and see if they'll take the battery back. If they stop laughing and say yes, return it and go to B+ and buy it there. Either way, just pop the battery in yourself.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fvicente' post='699458' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:23 PM
I sincerely doubt the dealer will take the battery back, and quite frankly, not to diss the guys at b+, but I wouldn't trust someone else to swap out my battery, just due to the IBS and pyrotechnics involved. It's either me or the dealer.

I'm assuming you have access to another car. Call the dealer and see if they'll take the battery back. If they stop laughing and say yes, return it and go to B+ and buy it there. Either way, just pop the battery in yourself.

"due to the IBS and pyrotechnics"

wtf? haha whats that in reference to the battery?

Quick Reply: Stupid Battery