E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Streaky windshield/windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

My windcreen wipers leave streaks on the windscreen while in use - ie do not clear the water/rain completely when in use. The wipers do not look damaged but there is astreaking effect right in my direct vision to the road - disctracting +.

Before I go back to the dealer - has anyone got any suggestions? I have tried Holt's exterior windscreen wipes.

I don't want to leave it too lon & end up with a scratched windcreen if there is a problem.

Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 01:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='May 25 2005, 04:18 AM
My windcreen wipers leave streaks on the windscreen while in use - ie do not clear the water/rain completely when in use. The wipers do not look damaged but there is astreaking effect right in my direct vision to the road - disctracting +.

Before I go back to the dealer - has anyone got any suggestions? I have tried Holt's exterior windscreen wipes.

I don't want to leave it too lon & end up with a scratched windcreen if there is a problem.

Thanks
[snapback]132949[/snapback]

The wipers blades or the windscreen is "oily" or "greasy". You should wash it with some eg. dish wash.

Also how old is your car? The lifetime for the wiper blades may vary, about over a year they can be replaced.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='May 25 2005, 09:47 AM
[quote name='GB525dTour' date='May 25 2005, 04:18 AM']My windcreen wipers leave streaks on the windscreen while in use - ie do not clear the water/rain completely when in use. The wipers do not look damaged but there is astreaking effect right in my direct vision to the road - disctracting +.

Thanks

The wipers blades or the windscreen is "oily" or "greasy". You should wash it with some eg. dish wash.

Also how old is your car? The lifetime for the wiper blades may vary, about over a year they can be replaced.
[snapback]132954[/snapback]
[/quote]

Only 2 months old!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In the US, the dealer will replace them under warranty without question. I assume they'll do it for you too since you have the service and maintenance option...
Old 05-25-2005, 02:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='May 25 2005, 04:53 AM
[quote name='Peter530i' date='May 25 2005, 09:47 AM'][quote name='GB525dTour' date='May 25 2005, 04:18 AM']My windcreen wipers leave streaks on the windscreen while in use - ie do not clear the water/rain completely when in use. The wipers do not look damaged but there is astreaking effect right in my direct vision to the road - disctracting +.

Thanks

[snapback]132954[/snapback]
[/quote]

Only 2 months old!
[snapback]132955[/snapback]
[/quote]

Really try to precisely wash the wipers and the screen with some dish wash chemical (for hand wash, not for dishwasher machine of course)
Old 05-25-2005, 04:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GB525dTour' date='May 25 2005, 03:18 AM

Thanks
I am in the U.S., but my dealer replaced them under warranty. He told me BMW had a bad batch of them and were replacing them as complaints arised. Mine streaked, exactly like yours, in the middle of the driver's vision.

Get the dealer to replace it and good luck. My car was 6 month old when I took it in. This is a known problem at BMW.

Regards, Michael
Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Contributors

I have mine replaced every 6-9 months depending on if they start making any noise. I hate that (just my own personal pet peeve). No questions asked, they always replace them.

When my warrenty is up, I'll have to just buy a new car. The blades would probably send me to the poor house. I'm not far from it now...

haha

james
Old 05-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='May 25 2005, 05:42 PM
I have mine replaced every 6-9 months depending on if they start making any noise.? I hate that (just my own personal pet peeve).? No questions asked, they always replace them.

When my warrenty is up, I'll have to just buy a new car.? The blades would probably send me to the poor house.? I'm not far from it now...

haha

james
[snapback]133204[/snapback]
Hear is a wild suggestion. When I am on the road and its raining, its night, and my window is smearing from the wipers going back and forth, and the on coming glare is impossible. I will stop in at a gas station and get coke and pour it on windshield, let it sit about two minutes and use wipers. It has to be coke, not diet coke.

I have only done this on the road at night, and my window is really messed up, but it works everytime.

Make sure it's raining continuosly. I would hate leave it on the car without getting it washed of right away.

I have done this maybe 4 or 5 times in the last 3 years.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Contributors

I took my 14 month old car complaining about noisy wipers , they replaced them no cost, new ones a lot better.