E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Vibration is Killing Me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I have a really harsh vibration myself, if you can call it that, from the front end when accelerating over 100 mph. Under 90 - 100 its fine but once I cross over the entire car seems to rock from side to side. My dealer already checked out the car and said its probably due to 2 bent rims I have. I guess my point is to make sure that none of your rims are bent before you start spending hundreds of getting an alignment and the wheels re-balanced, etc.

I rarely ever travel at such speeds so it's not really a problem for me but it's something I have on my mind and I would like to solve eventually.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast 550' post='329026' date='Aug 31 2006, 12:48 AM
Frustrating. Nothing worse than a vibration that you are always listening for.

I would take off the wheels and fit the car with a "known" good set of rims/tires and see if the vibration persists. That way you know for sure whether it's the car or the wheels. You're dealer should have a set that they can mount and test (like off a demonstrator or some lease return vehicle). One test drive and you'll know what your next step is.

Good luck.
Just to make sure everyone realizes the point - the problem is fixed. There is no more problem to diagnose. What fixed it in this case was the wheel "bearing", not the actual wheels and not the tires like has been the case many times for other people.

I guess the main point is if you have checked everything regarding the tires and actual wheels and everything checks out, but the vibration still exists, make sure and have the dealer check the "bearings" as well. It rides as smooth as ice now!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='329998' date='Sep 2 2006, 11:16 AM
I have a really harsh vibration myself, if you can call it that, from the front end when accelerating over 100 mph. Under 90 - 100 its fine but once I cross over the entire car seems to rock from side to side. My dealer already checked out the car and said its probably due to 2 bent rims I have. I guess my point is to make sure that none of your rims are bent before you start spending hundreds of getting an alignment and the wheels re-balanced, etc.

I rarely ever travel at such speeds so it's not really a problem for me but it's something I have on my mind and I would like to solve eventually.
Lomag, you may want to check out Wheels America at http://www.fixrim.com/.

They will straighten and certify high-end wheels. They have several locations to choose from and have a pretty good reputation, at least around here.

Think of it this way - since you don't get to take it over 100mph very often, the experience should be that much better!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Great -- thanks for the info. I was checking a place in PA but this one might be better. I hit one hell of a pothole a few months back and my front passenger side tire got a bubble on its side so I had to get a new tire (after only ~400 miles putting on my brand new wheels). I knew the rim was bent when they went to balance the wheel but didn't think it was that bad so I left it alone. Apparently that pothole also broke something in the suspension as I needed a strut bar replaced which my dealer did under warranty just last week. I was hoping that would fix my wobble but it didn't. Since this wobbling seems to come from the front and my drivers side rim is good I'm probably going to have to get this passenger side rim fixed asap to fully enjoy the car again.

PS. One thing about getting wheels balanced. Do you have the guys use the weights which stick on to the inner part of the rim or the ones that get hammered into the back on the edge of the rim? I think the place I went to might have done a poor job at balancing my wheels contributing to this problem as well. It seems like these larger diameter rims are much more sensitive and need better equipment than your standard shop may have.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Metallic / Black Traded in: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Black/Black

How do you check to see if you have a worn/bad wheel bearing?

I have a similar vibration that is driving me crazy... I did find out that i have 1 bent 166 and a cracked 166 that has the smallest leak ever... shitty... time for new wheels! but even with that said i still think that there is more to the vibration than a bent rim, since it can be heard at low speeds. I bet its a right front worn wheel bearing. just need to be sure since the warranty is out...