E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange Vibration is Killing Me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jochet' post='296980' date='Jun 13 2006, 12:25 PM
I also drive a 2004 545i, although I am driving on original equipment wheels and Dunlop RunFlats, I have alot of experience with tire cupping.

I'm sorry to tell you that your car will wear out any tire or wheel combination out there the same way. This car IMO has some defect that causes all tires to cup. You will start to feel the tire wear between 5 and 7000 miles. I'm hopefull that this defect has been corrected on newer MY cars because I'm looking at an 2007 550. Good Luck
Not good news if this is the case. Maybe someone else can chime in with a better experience w/ 2004 models? Surely this isn't specific to the 545i.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rollee' post='297089' date='Jun 13 2006, 04:31 PM
another thing.

the toe is off which can cause uneven wearning, thus the vibration.
Could this be the real issue and the cupping is a symptom, which then causes the vibration? In other words is this the real issue including the problems "jochet" mentions as well?
Old 07-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

Originally Posted by VTec' post='297189' date='Jun 14 2006, 09:38 AM
Could this be the real issue and the cupping is a symptom, which then causes the vibration? In other words is this the real issue including the problems "jochet" mentions as well?

I just got a 2006 E60 530i. And I have the same problem between 40-60 mph, there is a vibration on the wheel and you sort of feel it too. My car had only 80 miles on the clock. I am really confused if it should be like this or not....
Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Members

Thought I would give an update on the solution for the small vibration in case it helps someone -

The vibration turned out to be something wrong with my right-front wheel bearing!

I don't doubt a small pulsing vibration like this could be caused by any of the tire/wheel problems mentioned before, but I wanted to make sure anyone with this knows to have their wheel bearings checked in case that is the problem like it was with me.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by VTec' post='328497' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:02 PM
Thought I would give an update on the solution for the small vibration in case it helps someone -

The vibration turned out to be something wrong with my right-front wheel bearing!

I don't doubt a small pulsing vibration like this could be caused by any of the tire/wheel problems mentioned before, but I wanted to make sure anyone with this knows to have their wheel bearings checked in case that is the problem like it was with me.
Glad to hear it's fixed! Did you have any trouble getting the dealer to fix it under warranty because of the aftermarket rims and tires?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Contributors

I second all the comments.

Every time you put new tires on the car and get it rebalanced could lead to a problem. The Hunter machine is the only way to go. The Coats machine (used by most Goodyear Tire dealers) just does not do the job well.

These cars are very sensitive to vibration problems. As you go to 19-21" wheels, the problem is magnified. The wheels and tires, if unbalanced just a little, will create the pulsing/vibration you describe. I also did a hubcentric fix, and it worked. I don't think its hubcentric if this has been a few years, and the vibration is new.

Hopefully, the problem will improve. It is sad that there is not more information out there. Without this site, we would all be in trouble. I learned from others here, only to be happy to pass the knowledge on. What a great site!
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by VTec' post='295947' date='Jun 11 2006, 11:53 AM
I do have 20" Asanti wheels w/ Michelin Pilot PS2 that came on the car (not a big fan of chrome, but they actually look great). I did search the forums and read quite a bit about problems balancing various 20" wheels, but none said anything about "pulsing". If it was the wheels, wouldn't it be a constant vibration? If not, maybe the wheels really are the problem.
Your problem is common with out of spec wheels and very low-profile tires. It even happens with in spec wheels and low-profile tires. The best you dealer can do is make sure everything is perfectly round, perfectly balanced, and perfectly aligned. I mostly fixed my problem by running 34 front and 32 rear. My vibration was from the rear. The problem can't be fixed in some cases. This is one of the things people don't tell you when one inquires about getting larger wheels and lower profile tires. Everything always is just perfect when telling of their experiences.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='328507' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:36 PM
Glad to hear it's fixed! Did you have any trouble getting the dealer to fix it under warranty because of the aftermarket rims and tires?
No problem having the dealer fix the wheel bearing under warranty. However, I was anticipating a possible problem, so I had 2 wheel shops check everything on the wheels and had them rebalanced just so I could tell the dealer that I had exhausted all possibilities related to the wheels.

It took some coaxing, but I was able to get a SA to actually ride with me to feel the vibration and he is the one that came up with the theory that it was a wheel bearing, which turned out to be correct.

Believe it or not, I purchased some 19" BMW EOM 166's because I REALLY like the look, but also to be clear, the car rides PERFECT on the Asanti 20" now that the wheel bearing is fixed. It gives me hope that we actually can run 19" and 20" as long as we keep everything in check and away from potholes, speed bumps, etc.

I have put the 166's on and am thinking once again about selling the Asanti's.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Contributors

Frustrating. Nothing worse than a vibration that you are always listening for.

I would take off the wheels and fit the car with a "known" good set of rims/tires and see if the vibration persists. That way you know for sure whether it's the car or the wheels. You're dealer should have a set that they can mount and test (like off a demonstrator or some lease return vehicle). One test drive and you'll know what your next step is.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Members

I have not experience this problem with standard size tread. I would say it's the out of spec tires......

Quick Reply: Strange Vibration is Killing Me!