E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange steptronic jolt 2nd gear ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Did anyone ever experience strange jolt (almost like I was being rear ended) when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear?

All the other gears shift normally. It happens when changing the gears in manual mode as well as auto.
The jolt is less evident when the car goes slower. In fact I can stop the car while being on the 3rd gear, then shift it to second without feeling anything.

Trans fluid level is ok, had a transmission pan gasket replaced a week ago and top off the fluid, but it did not resolve the "jolt" problem. No check engine light or any other trans related issues.

Any ideas?? Has the time come for my transmission? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Members

Your Mechatronics unit is effed.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bad Debt
Your Mechatronics unit is effed.
Effed complately or do you think reprogramming will help? Did you have a similiar issue with your 545?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Reset your adaptive transmission. Look for the DIY on here.
Could be that you are low on tranny fluid also.
Last....could be your mechatronics
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Originally Posted by krzyschicago
Hi all,

Did anyone ever experience strange jolt (almost like I was being rear ended) when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd gear?

All the other gears shift normally. It happens when changing the gears in manual mode as well as auto.
The jolt is less evident when the car goes slower. In fact I can stop the car while being on the 3rd gear, then shift it to second without feeling anything.

Trans fluid level is ok, had a transmission pan gasket replaced a week ago and top off the fluid, but it did not resolve the "jolt" problem. No check engine light or any other trans related issues.

Any ideas?? Has the time come for my transmission? Thanks!
Exact same thing happened to my car about a year ago when it was still under CPO warranty. But it only happened once. Didn't know what it was at the time. No fault code. BMW won't authorize the repair anyway. :thumbsdown: Now the jerking transmission is more obvious and more often. May need to get the mechatronic replaced or eventually get another transmission. I really doubt my next car will be a BMW.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IceBimmer
Exact same thing happened to my car about a year ago when it was still under CPO warranty. But it only happened once. Didn't know what it was at the time. No fault code. BMW won't authorize the repair anyway. :thumbsdown: Now the jerking transmission is more obvious and more often. May need to get the mechatronic replaced or eventually get another transmission. I really doubt my next car will be a BMW.
Did my research, and it seems like a very common problem with Steptronic. Especially in 545's, so I wonder if anyone managed to get some financial participation from BMWNA? For the car with a sticker price over 60K, transmission faults should not be that often....