E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange question about how to cause a specific code?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

Hey everyone,

I have somewhat of a strange question regarding my 08 535i. I am looking for a way to manually/purposely cause the infamous 30fc 30ff underboost/boost leak fault code and subsequently the limp mode. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Here is why, I had these fault codes pop up last week and they were unfortunately cleared (dont even want to talk about that) but they were cleared prematurely and the indy shop i frequent has confirmed that my wastegate solenoids (referred to as pressure converters by bmw) are starting to fail and will need to be replaced. This shop does not have the proper tool to accomplish the repair and i will be forced to go to the dealer for repairs as several other indy shops in my area dont have this tool either. The tool in question is the turbocharger diagnostic tool p/n81290426424 which can only be operated in conjunction with the DIS Plus or GT1 with MIB. I prefer not to visit the dealer simply due to previous experiences, however i really have no option at this point. The issue is that the dealer will not work on my car unless there are faults present. One way to get these faults to pop up again would be to drive the car hard and force into limp mode. The problem is that i dont have time for that as the faults dont pop up everytime. The only time i have available to drop off the car at the dealer is tomorrow. Im looking for a quick way to get these codes to pop up. For example, disconnecting a vacuum line? Clamping a vacuum line? Then driving it around the block. Just looking for any insight and if anyone has ever done this before. I cant imagine unhooking or clamping a boost vacuum line would do any damage to the turbos considering the car should go into limp mode and a clamped line equals less boost and less boost means the turbos wont be working very hard. (holy run on sentence batman)

Car has 70k miles and both HPFP and LPFP have been replaced under warranty as well as all six injectors. This fault code is not related to any fuel system malfunctions or failures.