E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Starting...after coolant drain and fill

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I obviously need somebody smarter than me to tell me what is going on here . I had previously done a drain and fill on the coolant through the radiator drain. Well, everything worked fine the first time. I went to do it again (maybe a month later now) and it drained, I filled it up. Now, I go to start it, and it turns over but it will not start. It act like it is going to at a couple points, but it does not start still. Any ideas??

If I am not mistaken, I thought if I have a spark and fuel, then the engine will start up. I changed the spark plugs a year ago or so and it has been driving well since that time. Is it possible that my fuel pump crapped out right after I changed the coolant?

FYI - it is a 2005 525i (M54 engine).

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Members

So - I may be dumb ...but I only had a 1/4 tank of gas. I put the car on ramps so that it would be angled to make it easier to do the coolant drain. Is it possible (with the fuel pump at the front of the fuel tank) that the pump is not getting any fuel??
Old 08-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

Hmm...That's certainly possible. Have you taken it off the ramps and tried to restart it?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by onetime
Hmm...That's certainly possible. Have you taken it off the ramps and tried to restart it?
Well, I just tried to start it off the ramps and it did not start. It still turned over thought. The weird thing is that it now gave me a battery low indication. It makes sense that I need a new battery because it is still on the original after 7 1/2 years. I am going to replace the battery but I am still skeptical that the battery will solve the problem. It may be a fuel pump...time will tell this morning.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Members

I am starting to think that it is the fuel pump. The battery was tested by 2 different places and they said it was good but just low on charge. I believe that I made not have locked the car last night and that is why the car is low on charge. I am in the process of charging the battery, but I do not think the car will start. I may just have to order a fuel pump and replace that.

Anybody have other thoughts?
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

That's odd considering it wouldn't start after you changed the coolant. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Change your battery
Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004

Originally Posted by moyern83
So, I obviously need somebody smarter than me to tell me what is going on here . I had previously done a drain and fill on the coolant through the radiator drain. Well, everything worked fine the first time. I went to do it again (maybe a month later now) and it drained, I filled it up. Now, I go to start it, and it turns over but it will not start. It act like it is going to at a couple points, but it does not start still. Any ideas??

If I am not mistaken, I thought if I have a spark and fuel, then the engine will start up. I changed the spark plugs a year ago or so and it has been driving well since that time. Is it possible that my fuel pump crapped out right after I changed the coolant?

FYI - it is a 2005 525i (M54 engine).

Thanks!
I have a question off your problem, hopefully you can help. I want to do a coolant drain on my 525 M54, can you tell me if your car has a drain plug or you have to pull the drain hose off? Also, if you can post a pic of the exact location of coolant drain point that would be much appreciated.

Maybe I should wait until you sort your problem, before I do a coolant drain in mine in case I get this same problem huh?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kskane
I have a question off your problem, hopefully you can help. I want to do a coolant drain on my 525 M54, can you tell me if your car has a drain plug or you have to pull the drain hose off? Also, if you can post a pic of the exact location of coolant drain point that would be much appreciated.

Maybe I should wait until you sort your problem, before I do a coolant drain in mine in case I get this same problem huh?
See the link below for the thermostat change by Rizbel.

My link

If you take the front shield guard off, it will be on the passenger side. It is red and near the front of the car, so you can't miss it. As always, counterclockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten. Be careful not to break it as it is plastic.

Note: this will only get about 4 quarts, or 1 gallon, of fluid out...just the radiator and the expansion tank. If you wanted to drain the entire system, you would have to drain the engine block. I have the M54 engine, and it is a PAIN to get to where the engine block plug is at, so I was just doing multiple drain and fills through the radiator.

I would not worry that my problem will happen to you. It is ironic that it happened right after I did the drain and fill.

Nate
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by moyern83
As always, counterclockwise to loosen and clockwise to tighten. Be careful not to break it as it is plastic.
Not always. Try doing a vanos that way LOL. As a rule always follow the technical procedure. Some nuts/bolts are reverse threaded. I threaded my Mini 14 barrel with reverse threads.

Nate keep us updated I'm very interested now. I replied to your message

Quick Reply: Problem Starting...after coolant drain and fill